Autopsy Cats def Dogs 104-81

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. He is getting himself in those positions to get the ball which is a lot more that can be said about some other players.

He will execute better with experience and we'll have a player

He handballed to a player in bad position nearly every time. Selling his teamates into trouble. Basic turnovers nearly every time

Very rarely has this team shown the scoring ability that is characteristic of teams that make the top 4.

I'd back them in to beat anyone on their day - which is what happened on the finals run. They don't get enough scores in the past 2 seasons with the defensive style to bank big wins.

It is a problem breaking teams down when we have he momentum

All I can say is this (no swearing aloud):=

- It is OK to criticise this team and coach, they got us there last year but have been poor this year.
- If you are going to lose games, don't do so against all your ****ing main competitors. You look weak, incompetent or both.

Play like you did in the first and third quarter you are back to back premiers. Play like the first and third and you're pathetic amateurs.

As is the case most weeks, it all comes down to execution.

Danger kicked 4 straight. Bont kicked 3 points.
Tuohy kicked a bomb, JJ missed his.
Red and Toyd both missed sitters whilst they kicked 12 straight from set shots.
Mentioned a few weeks ago Bonts kicking for goal has been poor and got howled down. It has been way off this year

Picken and Smith both played as small forwards. Both were ineffectual this game. 12 kicks between the two of them. Smith went at 46% efficiency. Picken went at 60% despite having 16 handballs which normally go at 80+%. Both were pretty terrible playing a similar position.

Why were they effective as small forwards last year? Because when opposition teams flooded our attack, their ground ball, work in congestion and forward pressure was good.

However neither are tall, natural forward or quick.

I lost count of the amount of times Smith got spoiled attempting to mark because he's giving up 10cm on the defender, but without being quick doesn't have pace to get separation. Too many times we were moving the ball off half back to see the only option up the ground was a Smith with a defender super glued to him and having to take that as the only option.

We simply don't have any natural crumbing forwards in the reserves, but at what point do we think that we need to get different smaller players around our key forwards? Do we push Jong to a greater forward role in the absence of anyone else? Do we blood Lipinski or Greene as soon as they recover from injury? As ridiculous as it sounds, do we play JJ as a small forward?

I don't know what we can do but we're not winning a flag with Smith and Picken as our two small forwards. We need at least one of, pace or marking height, to replace them.
Plus Smith looks horribly unfit so he can't chase nearly as hard as he did last year.

Stupidly our playing by the rules is killing us.we are too clean and fair and end up leading the free kick count every week. But in the last quarter the umpires actually look to even the count up.

It happens every week and is costly against the best teams in close finishes.

We have to start giving away meaningless free kicks in ou forward half on rebound early in the game like everyone else.

When our forwards are out of position or late they crunch and deliberately give way frees that mean nothing when the ball is out of the area anyway.

The Umpire blows the whistle and it's play on or down field - it's meaningless - but on the stats

Over the course 2-3 quarters the umpires and opposition supporters think we are unfairly advantaged and then even it up in the last when the game is decided.

I analyzed the entire gf after Sydney supporters and others whined. 7 of our frees were just meaningless crap - late clips or pushes by forwards who were never going to have an impact anyway.

The world is full of dumbos but there is no point playing clean if it ends up a disadvantage late in games with umpires actually searching for frees against us to even the ledger in the frees count.

The forwards need crunch a few defenders late after or as they kick the ball 8/10 of the frees are meaningless and are even advantageous as even if the opposition retains possession the whistle is confusing.

This cost us the game tonight and against GWS with the trigger happy 50 against Eastern Wood.

We have in Cloke and Redpath two beasts - where the way the game is adjudicated it is to our advantage for them and Smith to crunch a few bodies early in games illegally

I'm sick and tired of our reputation of winning the free count. It's because we play fairly - well **** it - let's hurt some bodies.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only umpiring decision that really angered me was the Murphy holding the ball that wasn't.

Aside from that I didn't have a problem with them.

What about the non-decisions?

Is it ok for a player to drop the ball ie SELWOOD and it not being called incorrect disposal?

He's not the midfield coach but...

tenor.gif

Stoppages coach then. Even worse!!!! LOL!

Give credit to Geelong's 2nd quarter, that tackling and intensity was out of this world - that's out of this control, and they clearly got a kick up the backside during the week for it.

More the last quarter when we conceded even more goals that had me frustrated. We conceded in the 2nd because Geelong lifted their game. We conceded in the 4th because we made a range of frustrating skill and decision making errors.

We will lose to the dud saints next week most likely. This team teased us last year with success but we never get the sustained success we long for. Pretty annoyed tonight.

He handballed to a player in bad position nearly every time. Selling his teamates into trouble. Basic turnovers nearly every time

we all acknowledge that. Point is he is putting himself into the game where others who are more experienced dont

Am I the only one who didn't mind Williams' game? Thought he showed a lot of composure with ball in hand and was very evasive, a couple of times we were completely flat footed and he got us moving forward quickly. Disposal wasn't great but in such a high intensity game with a slippery ball, not unusual for a guy who has played <10 games.

I thought both Dale and Williams were good, didn't see much from Geelong's youth, only their old players, yet again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back