Cats dominance - is there any precedent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc1

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just curious - and noting obviously that we skinned them in '08 and '13 finals - but Geelong's wins against us in H&A for last 5-6 years is pretty unusual given how good both sides are. I was idly wondering if there's any precedent for this? eg. When we used to dominate them in the 80's, they often weren't very good. It seems like it would be rare for two really good sides to end up with this sort of formline?

(Also bonus points if the team with the wins had a gigantic man-girl as its key forward).

In probably about 10 of the past 14 games vs Geelong, we've gone the long bomb into 50, dropping it short, and giving them an easy out

Those high bombs don't work I a. Crowded fwd line, they need to lower the eyes and maintain possession, or go high and long to a flank, giving the team a chance of sending the ball out of bounds for a throw in

In probably about 10 of the past 14 games vs Geelong, we've gone the long bomb into 50, dropping it short, and giving them an easy out

Those high bombs don't work I a. Crowded fwd line, they need to lower the eyes and maintain possession, or go high and long to a flank, giving the team a chance of sending the ball out of bounds for a throw in

Points for non-sequiter... :p

I just think their game style is naturally very effective against ours.

The way we constantly shift who is defending who gives them the overlap their game is designed to exploit.

Also a few other reasons.

They are the only side who's back talls can consistently get the better of our forward talls, who are our biggest weapon.

Also, we have never had a good matchup for Hawkins. Lake is, but we have only had him twice. With lake vs cats we are 1-1. He was the absolute difference today. As bad as we were, with Lake fit we seriously could have still pinched that game. Hawkins has been the difference many times before.

Also, they didn't let us any space around half forward. This year we have been patiently moving it around half forward and using skill to spot up a target. Geelong didn't allow us this ( the weather was also a big factor here) and too many panicked kicks in that Sat up and they just got numbers under it. We need to setup differently and use our smalls more as bombing it to Hale and rough just doesn't work against them. Ever.

Sure there's a few precedents for Geelong's success.... East Germany, China, Essendon.

Dean-Robinson-is-a-weapon-200x256.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious - and noting obviously that we skinned them in '08 and '13 finals - but Geelong's wins against us in H&A for last 5-6 years is pretty unusual given how good both sides are. I was idly wondering if there's any precedent for this? eg. When we used to dominate them in the 80's, they often weren't very good. It seems like it would be rare for two really good sides to end up with this sort of formline?

(Also bonus points if the team with the wins had a gigantic man-girl as its key forward).

Between 1994 and 2002 the Hawks won 11 out of fourteen against the cats.

Caarlton hasn't defeated Hawthorn for nine years.

This thread pretty much veered off-topic from the first reply. If you want to analyse the game, go to the autopsy thread. If you can't answer the OP, don't bother.

We had a similar run against them when Ablett Sr was still playing for them (84-96). He only played in two winning sides against us that whole twelve year period :eek: Geelong were pretty good then too, and it didn't change when they overtook us in the 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is almost unprecedented.

The nearest run like this I can recall over the last 50 years of footy is the drug cheats v money cheats in the early 80's where the drug cheats won 10 in a row from 81 to 85. Admittedly the drug cheats had a far better side from 83 to 85 but the money cheats won back to back flags in the first two years. In contrast the cats were clearly better than us 09-10 whereas we were better 12-13 with 11 being to close to call (the hawks were better than the cats in aggregate against the other teams by one victory over 20 games).

The current issue is pathological.

The hawks have a real mental problem playing the cats end of story. Time to call in the scientologists for a bit of auditing.

The hawks have a real mental problem playing the cats end of story. Time to call in the scientologists for a bit of auditing.

I'm pretty sure it's just a match-up issue. We don't have any mental problem with Richmond, yet they also seem to play better against us than their form would indicate. Sydney have had a big problem with Collingwood for a number of years now, going back to when Buckley was playing.

It is almost unprecedented.

The nearest run like this I can recall over the last 50 years of footy is the drug cheats v money cheats in the early 80's where the drug cheats won 10 in a row from 81 to 85. Admittedly the drug cheats had a far better side from 83 to 85 but the money cheats won back to back flags in the first two years. In contrast the cats were clearly better than us 09-10 whereas we were better 12-13 with 11 being to close to call (the hawks were better than the cats in aggregate against the other teams by one victory over 20 games).

Excellent post....You forgot the one principal common denominator however.....Al Clarkson, not Kennett or his curse, but Al Clarkson

Just curious - and noting obviously that we skinned them in '08 and '13 finals - but Geelong's wins against us in H&A for last 5-6 years is pretty unusual given how good both sides are.

We are 2-13 v Geelong since 2007 and are still miles ahead in the bragging rights. Work that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back