Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

We rested Bowes and Tuohy, Bruhn was injured. Tell me which two mids we ‘lost’ and which two mids we ‘rested’?

Im not convinced bruhn was unfit to play.
It was the same AC issue hes carried ok for 12months so he could have played.
I think they chose to rest him off the 6 day break (to have him ripe for the 6 day next week) and it backfired.

Hang on managing players is fine but for fsake on what planet do you rest 2 mids the week you lose 2 mids,arrogant stupidity madness just plain dumb take your pick.
Yes a tad askew …..no Paddy and Bruhn is out , so we rest Bowes…. After resting Parfitt and O’Connor last week the week Paddy is first out…… 7-0 philosophical approach bringing us back to the pack….

Yes but the club has to own this.
Rhys has never ever been the sort of player to play well while playing injured.
If he wasnt fit he shouldnt have played even with no conway. It would at least have given us an extra runner that we needed.
It was a bad tactical call.

Im sure hes a decent person but he shouldnt have put his hand up to play and MC shouldnt have picked him.
Nonsense. No better option.

Stewart looked out of sorts last night. Perhaps the effect of concussion took the edge off him. I wish the Dogs had your problems. Stanley gave English a bath in the Gather Round and he always seems to play well against us.

Mental attitude too. Dogs thought Freo would be a pushover after they lost to the Weagles and last weeks debacle against Hawthorn. I guess the Cats underestimated Port and who wouldn't after they lost to the Crows.

The top 4 looks fairly settled and you guys are definitely going to stay there.

Furphy is ok purely because hes a cat b not taking up a spot.
But he doesnt feature in 2024 plans.

Edwards i need 12 months to see him before i can give you an answer.

Yes stanley should have been punted and we should have brought in a ruck off another club. I dont think grundy was gettable (but i would have tried harder) but i can think of a number of other rucks that were that we should have gone for. Soldo is a classic example of this but not the only one.
I still don't think you'll have an answer on Edwards in 12 months. Try 36

If stewarts going to be tagged should we try him in the midfield?
I’m not one to blame umpires and there’s no way am I blaming them last night, port should’ve won by more.
But the amount of times Stewart was held from behind when trying to defend a high ball was next level.
I would suggest the cats send in the behind the goal footage to the afl, he got nullified very well. But not within the rules

So just watched the first qtr (I couldn’t re watch it last night!) and I actually feel better - it was just one of those nights early. More about mistakes actually than something permanent. And not really due to pressure just human error led to 3 of Ports first 4 goals.

Dempsey poor kick made worse by fumble from Kolo led to turnover goal….MOC just misjudged ball coming into forward line leading to another goal and then lack of concentration from SDK and Holmes thinking it would be a behind when it went back in to Rioli for this goal.

To me they are more than we would normally do and one of those nights…it continued a bit in the first half where our tap ons missed and every mis kick from Port worked out well for them!

I am not saying that our MF wasn’t beaten - it was…but at least the bad start for me was more about mistakes - maybe not switched on…

EDIT: And then the 6th one was just Stewart not coping with the attention and giving 50 metre away

Bad lost but this is very fixable

CS said as much in his presser. Q1 was more about mistakes. But it can’t be argued that our intensity was missing. The good news is we adjusted well. Just not well enough. 7-2 and lost by a goal each time. And a work in progress midfield that we got a little bit too cute with regarding “management”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that and i like that we respect people but still i can name you a heap of players we have repectfully pushed into retirement in recent years and we will do the same with bews this year.

So why is rhys an outlier why is he such a special case that we cant? Given hes been average for 10 years its not quality related.

Sydney are a good example. They had brought ladhams in like a year before but they didnt let that stop them chasing grundy once he was available. No doubt as a result ladhams will ask for a trade again at the end of the year but sydney dont mind bc they got a clear upgrade in a spot they needed to in order to win a flag. Id like to see us be that ruthless now with our rucks. This us why we should have chased someone like soldo or moyle last year and why we must trade a ruck in at the end of the year.
All true but I don’t think he was in bad enough form to be forced into retirement at the end of last year.

It’s all just opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Guthrie hurt himself in the first second of that practice match our best midfield group through the pre-season was looking like Dangerfield, Bruhn and Bowes. None of them played last night, throw in Conway getting a niggle for extra calamity. Even Guthrie now that he's back is coming off nearly 12 months worth of injury and still getting back to his best - yet in the meantime our forwards and backs are effectively at full health. The one area of the ground we couldn't afford many/any casualties is through the middle yet that seems to be where we keep getting hit the hardest.

I think the criticism of Stanley is way over the top , he was very poor last night , maybe he went in injured , the week before against Gawn ( who is a champion ruckman and the best ruckman/ruck rover / midfielder all in one thats how good he is ) in the comp , and i thought Rhys was ok against Max . And some of the unpleasant stuff said tonight/today about Rhys a premiership player is kindergarten stuff

And he is not the only ruckman to be subbed off so early

To put a Geelong slant on it , Billy Goggin when he was coaching Footscray ,and Ian Bluey Hampshire was playing in the ruck for the Dogs in a game , they in the 1st qtr like the Cats last night , got smashed it was about 7 goals to nothing , and it was the 19th/20th man back then , so once you came off you were finished for the game .And at Qtr time Billy said to Bluey your off , 19th man came on , and i think Blueys respone to Goggin was he said you and the next 3 words started with L F and B - hah
Nah, criticism is on point. Stanley is simply s**t. I'm starting to think we'd be better off with an elaborate weekend at bernie's ruck setup, maybe we could put a Geelong jumper on a broomstick?

Im not convinced bruhn was unfit to play.
It was the same AC issue hes carried ok for 12months so he could have played.
I think they chose to rest him off the 6 day break (to have him ripe for the 6 day next week) and it backfired.
On radio Bruhn confirmed the same issue last year kept him out for multiple weeks. He’s unlikely to play next week.

Collingwood, Brisbane and Carlton, yes he would. We don’t play a high possession midfield.

The reality is that you can’t argue with results. He was an important player in our premiership year and is still performing in a team that sits 7-2.

He is not in our best 15 players but he is a solid role player and is a clutch player who has always stepped up when it counts.

I think you’re just expecting him to be an A grade midfielder and never will be.
I think you are a bit delusional here.

We don't play high possession midfield as we don't have any midfielders capable of racking up possessions. This is the simplest explanation. When Danger was in his prime he would get possessions. Tim Kelly got possessions. Cam Guthrie was getting possessions while fit.

The reason why our midfield can't get possessions as we have no ball winners in the midfield outside of literal teenagers or 250+ gamers. Tom Atkins and Parfitt are our our only midfielders in their prime and they are 15-20 possession players. Our list just doesn't make sense.

I understand the outcry but a starting mid with any of Conway, Blicavs, CGuthrie, Bruhn, Bowes, Danger is still very decent.

It would be great to have a Selwood or a TKelly in there, but it’s still good enough to compete.

CGuthrie only had 57% TOG last night, he’s building and looked good last night - 7 clearances.
Agree with this, but particularly without Danger, we can't carry all 3 of Atkins, Parfitt, & Clark.

At this point in their careers, they're all the same guy. Small, lack polish, and breakaway speed.

There's not a midfield in the game that can get away with being that 'samey'.

Crows have had it with Berry, Crouch, & Laird and have looked awful, and since have thrown Soligo, Rankine, & Rachele in there to find a point of difference.

Of the names you mention, Blitz is a unicorn, Cuthrie still has some speed and polish, Bruhn is a clearence machine, and Bowes is a big body who can lock down while still offering something offensively with his kicking and goal kicking as of late.

It's not perfect, but unlike Clark, Parfitt, & Atkins there's actually some point of difference in that group.

From what I've seen in the VFL, Knevitt is the name that has to come in for Clark/Parfitt.

If we're going to carry a young mid right now, at least make it one who's offering something different to the rest of the group. Likewise Mullin.

Would seriously consider reshuffling and getting Holmes back in there too.

Whether they'll bite the bullet and play Humphries to allow that I'm not sure, but it's reminding me of when Port had all of Wines, Boak, & Drew taking up centre stoppages while Rozee & Butters were rotting on a HFF in early 2022.

Last edited:
Do we interpret this as Bruhn has a chronic injury that will consistently cost him multiple weeks?
Don’t think so. It was a contact injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back