Central Highlands general thread - June 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming ground conditions don't change much over the next few weeks, which grounds will be most suitable for finals? Especially keen to get feedback on the grounds that are often used for finals- Dunnstown, Springbank, Learmonth & Bungaree. Does the league even consider the condition of the grounds or are they more interested in getting a larger crowd?

Re: Central Highlands Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiesnack http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20052608#post20052608
Owen Lewis.. I've played against this guy. Not on him directly but have seen first hand how he can tear it up. Slowly but surely at his size haha. Don't worry about him kicking 75, this bloke will kick 100 with ease in this comp. GDFL is a much stronger comp than this and he didn't just do it against the bottom sides. He kicked more against the top five sides, loves the big stage. Won't move far and I agree he will be run off alot but he will kick plenty. Feel sad for the opponents he is going to embarrass. Good luck boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiesnack http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20052608#post20052608

That’s fair enough. Difference of opinion. He is no superstar but pure size if he keeps fit will get him between 75 and 100 regardless of who he kicks most against. I've played Gordon and watched them on another occasion, they won six games in chfl last year. They IMO wouldn't win one in gdfl. But I agree that chfl probably has a better eveness and more depth in it's competition. Owen Lewis is what Luke Redpath could be if he did a preseason and got fit

Owen Lewis: Seniors - 8 matches, 15 goals. (8 in 1 game against - SURPRISE - bottom side Illabarook.
Owen Lewis: Reserves - 5 matches, 14 goals.

Scoobiesnack I think you get the award for worst prediction of the year. As i said, size doesn't make you a good player. On the occasions I've seen Owen this year i've felt embarrassed for him he's been so far off the pace. You obviously don't rate the CHFL. You talked up Clunes on the basis of a few recruits from the GDFL, and to be fair they have improved, but mostly that improvement has been on the back of their young local players and some returning like Handley and Guthrie. You aren't the first bloke to think Geelong players are going to come up here and rip the league apart nor are you the first to end up with egg on your face. Big O should look at suiting up for Werribee Centrals next year if he wants to get anywhere near 75 or 100 goals, because if he stays at Dunnstown it will take him about 6 seasons to get there.

Quote:
Owen Lewis.. I've played against this guy. Not on him directly but have seen first hand how he can tear it up. Slowly but surely at his size haha. Don't worry about him kicking 75, this bloke will kick 100 with ease in this comp. GDFL is a much stronger comp than this and he didn't just do it against the bottom sides. He kicked more against the top five sides, loves the big stage. Won't move far and I agree he will be run off alot but he will kick plenty. Feel sad for the opponents he is going to embarrass. Good luck boys

Quote:

That’s fair enough. Difference of opinion. He is no superstar but pure size if he keeps fit will get him between 75 and 100 regardless of who he kicks most against. I've played Gordon and watched them on another occasion, they won six games in chfl last year. They IMO wouldn't win one in gdfl. But I agree that chfl probably has a better eveness and more depth in it's competition. Owen Lewis is what Luke Redpath could be if he did a preseason and got fit

Owen Lewis: Seniors - 8 matches, 15 goals. (8 in 1 game against - SURPRISE - bottom side Illabarook.
Owen Lewis: Reserves - 5 matches, 14 goals.

Scoobiesnack I think you get the award for worst prediction of the year. As i said, size doesn't make you a good player. On the occasions I've seen Owen this year i've felt embarrassed for him he's been so far off the pace. You obviously don't rate the CHFL. You talked up Clunes on the basis of a few recruits from the GDFL, and to be fair they have improved, but mostly that improvement has been on the back of their young local players and some returning like Handley and Guthrie. You aren't the first bloke to think Geelong players are going to come up here and rip the league apart nor are you the first to end up with egg on your face. Big O should look at suiting up for Werribee Centrals next year if he wants to get anywhere near 75 or 100 goals, because if he stays at Dunnstown it will take him about 6 seasons to get there.

Haha. Your a legend. That is actually funny. How far wrong was I. I'll wear that one. He has been disgusting hasn't he. The boys tell me he's too fat to get near it in the twos. Fair enough mate I was very very wrong. With the clunes thing, I don't think I ever pumped their tyres up to the point of a premiership. I just new the players they picked up would give them a much more competitive season and possibly finals. (not wrong on either of those points am I lol) I think in 2010 they were beaten easily by the better sides whereas going on purely results they have shown improvement. Gdfl is not as even as the chfl as a whole but I still believe east Geelong or bell post hills 2011 team would take care of any top four chfl sides. But we will never know and god help me if they ever play and chfl wins, I'm sure you'll remind me. Cheers

Haha. Your a legend. That is actually funny. How far wrong was I. I'll wear that one. He has been disgusting hasn't he. The boys tell me he's too fat to get near it in the twos. Fair enough mate I was very very wrong. With the clunes thing, I don't think I ever pumped their tyres up to the point of a premiership. I just new the players they picked up would give them a much more competitive season and possibly finals. (not wrong on either of those points am I lol) I think in 2010 they were beaten easily by the better sides whereas going on purely results they have shown improvement. Gdfl is not as even as the chfl as a whole but I still believe east Geelong or bell post hills 2011 team would take care of any top four chfl sides. But we will never know and god help me if they ever play and chfl wins, I'm sure you'll remind me. Cheers

Hepburn, Waubra top 2 in both leagues for mine and I'd stick Daylesford above BPH and East as well. But we'll never know and like yours its just an opinion so we can agree to disagree.

Clunes have improved, will probably miss the finals but have definately been a more competitive outfit.

As for Owen. We'll move on.

Hepburn, Waubra top 2 in both leagues for mine and I'd stick Daylesford above BPH and East as well. But we'll never know and like yours its just an opinion so we can agree to disagree.

Clunes have improved, will probably miss the finals but have definately been a more competitive outfit.

As for Owen. We'll move on.

Different types of football played in these leagues. Based on a history of playing in both the GDFL is played on top of the ground with an open and attacking style whereas CHFL is more "inside"footy and a lot more physical. In saying that I think the top 2of each would be interchangeable but the CHFL would be stronger overall.

Not convinced this finals setup is any good. With no home finals you're better of finishing 4th than 2nd/3rd. You don't get the Sunday games or the 6 day break after the prelim. It looks like Daylesford and Hepburn will play off the first week in both the seniors and reserves but on different days.

Saturday 20th August
Qualifying Final (1) 1st vs 4th (winner into preliminary final 1)
Elimination Final (1) 5th vs 8th (loser eliminated)
Sunday 21st August
Qualifying Final (2) 2nd vs 3rd (winner into preliminary final 2)
Elimination Final (2) 6th vs 7th (loser eliminated)
Saturday 27th August
Second Semi Final (loser qualifying final 1 vs winner elimination final 1) (winner into preliminary final 2)
Sunday 28th August
First Semi Final (loser qualifying final 2 vs winner elimination final 2) (winner into preliminary final 1)
Saturday 3rd September
Preliminary Final 1 (winner qualfying final 1 vs winner first semi final)
Sunday 4th September
Preliminary Final 2 (winner qualifying final 2 vs winner second semi final)
Saturday 10th September - Eureka Stadium
Grand Final

CHFL should not have accepted the new 4 teams. They should have gone to The Mininera League. After years of talking themselves up all teams from LPFL have performed poorly.

Why do the top sides not get home finals if it based on the AFL??

Surely some reward for the top sides is justified...

Maybe it is time for the CHFL to be run by the BFL, atleast it would be independent then.

CHFL should not have accepted the new 4 teams. They should have gone to The Mininera League. After years of talking themselves up all teams from LPFL have performed poorly.

Maybe it is time for the CHFL to be run by the BFL, atleast it would be independent then.

Because the CHFL is not the AFL (not far off though)
A double chance is reward for the top sides.
If Hepburn want a home final then improve the ground out there, fit in a crowd.
Although I do think finals at bungaree is ridiculous.
As for your idea of being run by BFL, go take a long walk off a short pier

IMO Illabrook should definately have gone to Mininera as they weren't strong in LPFL. The others I think will start to show a bit more after a season or two.

Because the CHFL is not the AFL (not far off though)
A double chance is reward for the top sides.
If Hepburn want a home final then improve the ground out there, fit in a crowd.
Although I do think finals at bungaree is ridiculous.
As for your idea of being run by BFL, go take a long walk off a short pier

Im obviously biased but I would have thought Bungaree was easily one of the better venues?? The one's closer to town usually get first preference anyways because you get better crowds. Better crowd = More Money

The advantage of 1st over 2nd and 3rd is that they technically get the weaker side(4th) and they get the Saturday finals the whole way through. The loser of 2nd and 3rd gets the supposedly 'weaker team from 6 v7 in the next week and doesn't have to change sides of the draw until the Prelim weekend so its only ever one 6 day break. First seems to always have the advantage imo.

The Lexton sides will all improve after a year in the comp, except maybe Illabarook but seeing as how they are nearly the closest team to Ballarat it wouldn't make sense to go to Mininera. Hell, the struggle to attract players as is.

Im obviously biased but I would have thought Bungaree was easily one of the better venues?? The one's closer to town usually get first preference anyways because you get better crowds. Better crowd = More Money

What about the change rooms?? It is a poor advertisement for the CHFL when people from outside the league see the rooms built by the first settlers. U can't even open the windows to let some air in... I Don’t believe location plays any part. That is just the story Bungaree/Dunstown people spin to justify hosting finals. Weather contributes to smaller crowds not location.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the change rooms?? It is a poor advertisement for the CHFL when people from outside the league see the rooms built by the first settlers. U can't even open the windows to let some air in... I Don’t believe location plays any part. That is just the story Bungaree/Dunstown people spin to justify hosting finals. Weather contributes to smaller crowds not location.:thumbsdown:

No doubt our facilities could do with an upgrade, when we can get funding for the redevelopment it will be great.
As is though, how many clubs have better facilities anyway? Dunnstown, Learmonth just. Waubra now yes. Springbank similar. Improved this year however.
Buninyong and Beaufort are the best but no fencing at Buninyong and Beaufort is miles away. Neutrals won't drive that far to go watch a match, i know i wouldn't go to Darley to watch a BFL match no matter who was playing. People involved with the league will travel but i guarantee you'd lose numbers if you started going too far out of town. The league obviously agrees.
Hepburn and Daylesford are probably an exception in terms of travel i think, but Hepburn in particular would need to improve thier capacity ten-fold before they could be considered in my opinion.
Creswick will be a certainty from next year and will get heaps of finals.
We've only been to Smythesdale out of the new clubs and that needs a lot of work before that will get a final. Linton may be an option?

The reality is there isn't the really professional infrastructure in our league and considering most of the league's income is from the gate takings at finals time, finals have a need to be allocated to where the dollars will come through the gate.

No doubt our facilities could do with an upgrade, when we can get funding for the redevelopment it will be great.
As is though, how many clubs have better facilities anyway? Dunnstown, Learmonth just. Waubra now yes. Springbank similar. Improved this year however.
Buninyong and Beaufort are the best but no fencing at Buninyong and Beaufort is miles away. Neutrals won't drive that far to go watch a match, i know i wouldn't go to Darley to watch a BFL match no matter who was playing. People involved with the league will travel but i guarantee you'd lose numbers if you started going too far out of town. The league obviously agrees.
Hepburn and Daylesford are probably an exception in terms of travel i think, but Hepburn in particular would need to improve thier capacity ten-fold before they could be considered in my opinion.
Creswick will be a certainty from next year and will get heaps of finals.
We've only been to Smythesdale out of the new clubs and that needs a lot of work before that will get a final. Linton may be an option?

The reality is there isn't the really professional infrastructure in our league and considering most of the league's income is from the gate takings at finals time, finals have a need to be allocated to where the dollars will come through the gate.

Fair enough. The club hosting the final should not be permitted to profit in any way from a final being played at the ground. In other words, Bungaree should not be allowed to open their social club bar to its members on the day. Does this currently happen? If it does, clubs hosting finals matches get an unfair financial advantage over the rest of the comp. It is also an advantage selling ground signage because they get greater exposure than other clubs. This should be taken into account when the leagues distribute any dividends to member clubs at the end of the season. Clubs like Bungaree, Dunnstown, Springbank, Learmonth that regularly host finals and gain financial advantage should receive less dividend.

Fair enough. The club hosting the final should not be permitted to profit in any way from a final being played at the ground. In other words, Bungaree should not be allowed to open their social club bar to its members on the day. Does this currently happen? If it does, clubs hosting finals matches get an unfair financial advantage over the rest of the comp. It is also an advantage selling ground signage because they get greater exposure than other clubs. This should be taken into account when the leagues distribute any dividends to member clubs at the end of the season. Clubs like Bungaree, Dunnstown, Springbank, Learmonth that regularly host finals and gain financial advantage should receive less dividend.

The alcohol selling and canteens are on a roster during finals so that each club gets thier turn. No club gains a financial advantage over any other by hosting at a specific venue.
I guess you could argue that if you got a smaller crowd the clubs are losing money because they are getting less in bar and shoptakings.
The grounds do get paid a small fee to host the final but are required to staff the venue, etc supply ground manager, get ground into shape, clean up, remove waste etc. Most times this goes to the council or recreation committees and not the clubs anyway.

As for signage that is the only sticking point in there but as their is no guarantee you will get one final or even more i don't know that you could sell that to your sponsors to gain money out of it unless you did it that week in which it is announced, which is certainly not the case with us.

Also need to take into account the fact that with 2 games being played on the one day for the 1st time the league would of wanted two grounds as close together as possible to ensure that people could get between the grounds as clubs will have teams playing at the different venues. Bungaree & Dunnstown and Learmonth & Waubra seem the most logical chocies on that basis as well

The alcohol selling and canteens are on a roster during finals so that each club gets thier turn. No club gains a financial advantage over any other by hosting at a specific venue.
I guess you could argue that if you got a smaller crowd the clubs are losing money because they are getting less in bar and shoptakings.
The grounds do get paid a small fee to host the final but are required to staff the venue, etc supply ground manager, get ground into shape, clean up, remove waste etc. Most times this goes to the council or recreation committees and not the clubs anyway.

As for signage that is the only sticking point in there but as their is no guarantee you will get one final or even more i don't know that you could sell that to your sponsors to gain money out of it unless you did it that week in which it is announced, which is certainly not the case with us.

Understand all that. What I'm saying is Bungaree, Dunnstown, Learmonth or whatever club it is, shouldn't be able to open their social club bar to members only and sell against the booth. Does this happen? My understanding is that this does happen. I might be wrong.

Bazza I agree the choices make sense and you explain it well.

Understand all that. What I'm saying is Bungaree, Dunnstown, Learmonth or whatever club it is, shouldn't be able to open their social club bar to members only and sell against the booth. Does this happen? My understanding is that this does happen. I might be wrong.

Bazza I agree the choices make sense and you explain it well.

Nah club bar's can't open until the booth has been closed down outside i think.

Also need to take into account the fact that with 2 games being played on the one day for the 1st time the league would of wanted two grounds as close together as possible to ensure that people could get between the grounds as clubs will have teams playing at the different venues. Bungaree & Dunnstown and Learmonth & Waubra seem the most logical chocies on that basis as well

How about Smythesdale & Linton 11 minutes drive or Skipton & Linton 17 min ?

Linton and Smythesdale have to be up there with the worst grounds in the league. Both grounds are like a swamp especially Smythesdale.

Not sure what happened to the Linton oval this year, but on previous years, it would have been in the top couple for the league easily..

Geoff Taylor medal count next mon night & here's my tips for most votes from each club
D'ford-Cummings
Hepburn-McKay
Waubra-Mullane
Buninyong-N.Gilbert
Beaufort-Franc
Bungaree-Cummins
Dunnstown-Pitt
Gordon-Turley
Clunes-Anderson
Skipton-Lench
Carngham-Hill
Creswick-Griffin
Rokewood-Matheson
Springbank-Milligan
Ballan-?
Illabarook-?
Learmonth-McGuigan
Newlyn-Wilson
might be somewhere near the mark....or not

Geoff Taylor medal count next mon night & here's my tips for most votes from each club
D'ford-Cummings
Hepburn-McKay
Waubra-Mullane
Buninyong-N.Gilbert
Beaufort-Franc
Bungaree-Cummins
Dunnstown-Pitt
Gordon-Turley
Clunes-Anderson
Skipton-Lench
Carngham-Hill
Creswick-Griffin
Rokewood-Matheson
Springbank-Milligan
Ballan-?
Illabarook-?
Learmonth-McGuigan
Newlyn-Wilson
might be somewhere near the mark....or not

Sorry cledis, Anderson would have played less than 5 games I'd reckon and they were far from vote worthy. Between Buscombe and I'd imagine with his speed and hair J.Hind might poll a few. Cummings will win it comfortable from what I've read and heard. Should be an interesting finals series though which is good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back