Universal Love Chad Wingard - thanks for the memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's your daily reminder that it was Chad that didn't agree to sign an extension, or to simply stay as a PA player in 2019, both of which were within his control.
It was also Chad that requested to be traded to Hawthorn at the exclusion of other clubs.

Crying about being pushed out when you held all the cards is a bit rich.

Ports: Let's trade Chad Wingard because he can't play as a forward anymore
Also Ports: /trades Chad Wingard for a half back flanker
I don’t think the plan is to play Mayes or Burton in the backline - it will probably happen as soon as we have any injuries though. Please remember that Farell was considered a half back flanker by many.

I do think I ****ed up my point a bit, I was trying to say that the lack of form up forward was definitely more important than all the Chud Cornes work hardery good, Fortnite and Wingard bad (or vice versa) dick measuring.

It’s about the whole picture. We already have Wines, Rockliff, and Motlop on decent money as midfielders, with SPP, Atley, and Drew brought in as our future and needing game time sooner rather than later. Wingard as a midfielder is potentially better than all of these players, but as a forward he is soo far ahead of Sam Gray, Neade and Johnson it’s just insane to play him in the middle. The ultimate robbing Peter to pay Paul situation.

We play him through the midfield anyway because lining him up in the SANFL would be mind bogglingly stupid. But when he (through his management, possibly without his approval) demands big money and threatens to leave through free agency, it’s such an obvious call to say “go ahead, leave” when we know we don’t *need* him as a midfielder, we know we can guarantee we get a good trade becuase he is contracted, we know we can get a potentially elite forward from Rankine, Lukosius, Max King or Connor Rozee. The alternative was almost certainly saying goodbye to Atley, or Powell-Pepper and not getting much in return. Sure the supporters are upset, but clearly the other players aren’t going to care because he doesn’t have the “intangibles” that someone like Trengove had.

I think our strategy was to bring in shitloads of midfielders, and play Wingard and Robbie Gray as forwards. We also knew we could trade anyone who was surplus to our needs while their value was high and get high draft picks in what we consider an important draft for the club.

If you look at the trade in isolation it’s not good, but as part of a bigger list management strategy it looks a lot better. I also agree that Burton doesn’t seem to fit with that strategy, but I think him being offered up was unexpected and we saw that as a good way to get value and a good opportunity to replace Polec.

The fact that he admits he didn’t know what he was going to do with FA is a sure sign he was going to up and leave.

At no point in the article does he take responsibility for his own attitude or lack of performance at the start of the year...just says that he started more slowly than he would have liked and that when he got to play his preferred position in the midfield. It’s always someone else’s fault.

As for the other...I’ll stick with Tredrea’s version of events, thanks all the same. After all, if it went down the way Wingard reckons it did, and it was an open and honest discussion that he left thinking he would still be a Port player afterward...why was he put up for trade straight after his exit interview? It sounds like he thought he was bigger than the club if it came as a surprise.

Then in the space of a week and a half he goes from thinking that Alberton is his home and he doesn’t want to leave to finding reasons to justify why he should.

That’s not the behaviour of someone who is being pushed. That’s the behaviour of someone who jumped.

They don't always have the players best interest at heart. They only see the dollars (not just talking during contract time).

Reading between the lines, this seemed to be a big influence here. I got the impression Chad had left much of the negotiation up to his manager. That’s how I read his comment about not knowing what he would do in free agency. He may we’ll not have known, his manager then spun that into an ultimatum to Port about taking up FA next year. I have little doubt his agent saw opportunity in that and Port’s willingness to look at using Chad as a way of getting up the draft order.

After that, the combination of commercial opportunities and the feeling that Port were content to see him leave was enough to have him pick Hawthorn and request a trade. His social media stuff was his little tantrum at the powerlessness he felt in the situation.

Just find it dead set ridiculous, that Wingard, his management and PAFC did not decide on a public strategy to not tarnish either PAFC or Wingard reputation. What is this f amateur hour?

This should have been part of the trade agreement.

Cornes and Tredrea should be used by the club better, and vice versa.

He'll retire at the Hawks. He's going to be a champion player for them for a long, long time...:sick:
Hell likely be an OK, at times brilliant, player who could have done better with his talent.

He is just as likely to drop out of footy all together as he is to develop into an out and out champion at this age.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ouch. Clearly the separation is not even close to being amicable. What a bitchy thing for Chapman to say, though.

This is the sort of thing I'd usually jump right on when the mob across the road does it, but after the pathetic way we treated Chad Wingard on the way out we don't really have any moral high ground in that area anymore.

He'll retire at the Hawks. He's going to be a champion player for them for a long, long time...:sick:
All he has to do to be effective is play in a functioning side and just be Chad and it'll all click and he'll be praised as ten fold better by the footy world because he's at Hawthorn.. exciting for us.

This is the sort of thing I'd usually jump right on when the mob across the road does it, but after the pathetic way we treated Chad Wingard on the way out we don't really have any moral high ground in that area anymore.

That would be true if Koch had come out and crticised Wingard. There has been no public criticism of Chad from the club.

Tredrea is media, he doesn't work for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be true if Koch had come out and crticised Wingard. There has been no public criticism of Chad from the club.

Tredrea is media, he doesn't work for the club.

And how about the comments from our forward development coach's brother?

Kane might not be 'the club', but at the absolute very least he's a mouthpiece for certain individuals within the club.

Kane might not be 'the club', but at the absolute very least he's a mouthpiece for certain individuals within the club.
That's a long-bow mate. Kane has mainly reported what has been fairly obvious to all. Autre, he might get some goss from his brother, but much of what he has written on the subject looks opinion based, which is what he is paid to give.

Arguably, the main criticism you can direct at the club is their failure to show Wingard any love at the end. Telling him to explore his options seems to be the main issue that drove him to look elsewhere. Since them, the club has retained very positive in their dealing and comments about him.

True, it's not great. It's also not the same level as the club president s**t-canning a former employee/player which is an important point of difference. I'm not saying we don't have our own issues in this area, we clearly do, we're just not at the detestable level of the AFC, yet.

Here's your daily reminder that it was Chad that didn't agree to sign an extension, or to simply stay as a PA player in 2019, both of which were within his control.
It was also Chad that requested to be traded to Hawthorn at the exclusion of other clubs.

Crying about being pushed out when you held all the cards is a bit rich.

giphy.gif

That's a long-bow mate. Kane has mainly reported what has been fairly obvious to all. Autre, he might get some goss from his brother, but much of what he has written on the subject looks opinion based, which is what he is paid to give.

Arguably, the main criticism you can direct at the club is their failure to show Wingard any love at the end. Telling him to explore his options seems to be the main issue that drove him to look elsewhere. Since them, the club has retained very positive in their dealing and comments about him.
I was a bit pissed at the way Kane was carrying on about Wingard. It's a bad look, especially with Kane's connections to the club. Generally I don't mind Kane at all, but he was deadset gunning for Wingard.

Schofield would've sorted Wingard out next year, which would've been great. We had to bare with Wingard. We've got a bit of talent bowing out in the next couple years.

I was a bit pissed at the way Kane was carrying on about Wingard. It's a bad look, especially with Kane's connections to the club. Generally I don't mind Kane at all, but he was deadset gunning for Wingard.

Schofield would've sorted Wingard out next year, which would've been great. We had to bare with Wingard. We've got a bit of talent bowing out in the next couple years.
Wingard would still be here had we not given old mate lifetime keys to the joint.

Chad Cornes, please **** off back to Brighton Road where you belong.
Without being in the inner sanctum its hard to know the influence Chad Cornes has. However, when he was at Port there was a problem with player cliques and he was often mentioned. He's back and being mentioned again. If I start hearing about player cliques at the club again I will know that those running the club are hopeless judges of what's required to be a successful club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back