Preview Changes vs GC Suns (Sat 16 April, 4:35pm @ Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Schache, Lipinski
Out: Martin (managed), Daniel (suspension)

Martin gets a break. Schache comes in as English spends less time forward and Bruce helps out in the ruck. Been in good form in the VFL so deserves a crack. Scott moves back for a week in Daniel's place.

Don't see the point in dropping McNeil, Scott etc for the Gold Coast game after sticking with them for some time, especially with Footscray not playing this week.

Martin gets a break. Schache comes in as English spends less time forward and Bruce helps out in the ruck. Been in good form in the VFL so deserves a crack. Scott moves back for a week in Daniel's place.

Don't see the point in dropping McNeil, Scott etc for the Gold Coast game after sticking with them for some time, especially with Footscray not playing this week.
Why on earth would you want to play English as the #1 ruck when he's playing so well up forward? He struggled in the ruck all of last year too.

Think there is definitely an underestimation of the importance of Vanders pace in our forward pressure rating. Does need to get more involved though to be fair.
And not give away stupid free kicks/50m penalties. That's the biggest frustration I have with him atm. I can handle his inability to rack up touches, but they're simple errors that shouldn't be made.

Why on earth would you want to play English as the #1 ruck when he's playing so well up forward? He struggled in the ruck all of last year too.
Because Martin, whilst doing a job against some solid rucks, has been poor in the three games since he played that fantastic one v Grundy.

McInereny had a solid game as well despite being somewhat unfit (e.g. 9 kicks for him, one off career high).

Gold Coast are rucking about their 8th choice part-time ruck. We'd waste a rotation that could go to a smaller player to influence the game.

Because Martin, whilst doing a job against some solid rucks, has been poor in the three games since he played that fantastic one v Grundy.

McInereny had a solid game as well despite being somewhat unfit (e.g. 9 kicks for him, one off career high).

Gold Coast are rucking about their 8th choice part-time ruck. We'd waste a rotation that could go to a smaller player to influence the game.
We don’t need a smaller player, we need English to stay where he’s playing good football and the forward lines clicking

Gold Coast have no rucks, he'll be against Burgess or Graham. This is only assuming we use the opportunity to rest Martin

Gold Coast have no rucks, he'll be against Burgess or Graham. This is only assuming we use the opportunity to rest Martin

Agree. Given GC seem to always play well lately againist us, won at marvel last time and Dogs just held on by a few points in Cairns last year. I think we should ensure we have the best Ruck advantage available. If we rest Martin then has to be English.

It’s not North. GC can play if they get a sniff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How to lose the unlosable:

Martin hasn’t been poor at all. I don’t mind giving him a rest but if we do I’d bring in Sweet and keep English in his best position.

Martin doesn’t need a goal and 18 possessions every game like round one to be effective. He really just needs to win or even the ruck contest and link up where he can. Let English kick some goals. It’s pretty simple.

Out - Martin (rest), McNeil, Scott

In - Lipinski, Cavarra, West - or JUH as English will be rucking
If Martin is rested we should expose Sweet to the level. Suns have no real ruck and we need to find out about him.
West or Cav for Daniel, JJ to the backline.

I would challenge CD's suspension on impact grounds. Difficult to defend medium impact when the guy stayed on the field imo. Didn't pin the arms either but I don't think that's as safe of an argument.

That said, if he's out, I'd bring in Lipinski. With Keath, Young, Wood, Williams, Dale, Duryea, JJ, and Scott, we're already playing eight defenders without Daniel, so that's fine. With Richards and Croz out next in line down back is probably Khamis or Butler and I don't think now is the time to play either of them. If Daniel's suspension is reversed, I'd omit Scott for Lipinski.

If Martin's even a little bit sore, it's probably the game to manage him for. My preference would be to blood Sweet in order to keep English forward a bit more, but he'll be playing on two smaller endurance beasts, so given that's the knock on him it may not be smart. Schache next up I suppose.

I would omit McNeil for Cavarra but I don't think that will happen.

So my changes: Daniel/Scott --> Lipinski, McNeil --> Cavarra, Martin (only if sore) --> Sweet/Schache.

I expect Bev's changes will look more like Daniel --> Lipinski. The part of me that doesn't trust MC feels like there is a chance they go with a smaller defensive setup this week as well.

Scott a versatile player for a sub, he goes there. Lipinski onto the field to replace. West in for Daniel, with JJ to go back and West up forward.

I feel we will see Schache this week. Martin rested English play predominant Ruck and we still stick with the 3 pronged tall forward line. Either Schache or Bruce to give English the chop out.

Can someone please explain why Stefan Martin needs to be rested after 4 rounds? He has averaged less than 80% time on ground average over the 4 games, so not like we have been overloading him. I would be very worried if he needed a rest this soon.

if we were trying to freshen him up for a finals tilt, maybe round 18 against the Suns would be more logical?

Can someone please explain why Stefan Martin needs to be rested after 4 rounds? He has averaged less than 80% time on ground average over the 4 games, so not like we have been overloading him. I would be very worried if he needed a rest this soon.

if we were trying to freshen him up for a finals tilt, maybe round 18 against the Suns would be more logical?
I think any time you recruit a 34-year-old to play 80% of the game in the ruck, the expectation is that he'll need to be managed throughout the season. Sometimes it's less about when they "need" a rest, and more about when the team can grant one without compromising their results to too significant an extent. This is a game where we should have a ruck advantage with or without Martin, and so might be a good time for it.

That said, my opinion is that I'd only do it if he is sore. I wouldn't pre-empt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back