Preview Changes vs GC Suns (Sat 16 April, 4:35pm @ Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

We have never had an assistant coach who has had experience as an AFL head coach like every other team. To see Mark Williams helping Melbourne yesterday, I was thinking we could do with another experienced football person to challenge Bevo when he goes down his stubborn route. Bevo is great we all love him but can also see his flaws form the outside that he can’t see too. He has been given the keys to the Ferrari by everyone who has brought this list together. Just because we are on top doesn’t mean it’s all because of Bevo, he is one important piece.

I'd say this list is more of a Subaru Forrester - fairly good over all terrain, sturdy but not that quick with a good ease of comfort and not quite as fuel efficient as you would hope. Bevo in the front seat taking the route that he's taken us on before - one that seems unlikely but may ultimately avoid all the worst peak hour traffic. Oldest child (Steven King) in the front passenger seat reinforcing saying forget about google maps we are confident in the group and silently planning out when he's going to run away from this family for good. There is a dutiful, good natured son in the back silent and following his parents every instruction (Ryan Gardner) and a set of crying Red-headed toddler twins very unsure about the result of this journey but anxious for its conclusion (our supporters).

Last edited:
I'd say this list is more of a Subaru Forrester - fairly good over all terrain, sturdy but not that quick with a good ease of comfort and not quite as fuel efficient as you would hope. Bevo in the front seat taking the route that he's taken us on before - one that seems unlikely but may ultimately avoid all the worst peak hour traffic. Oldest child (Steven King) in the front passenger seat reinforcing saying forget about google maps we are confident in the group and silently planning out when he's going to run away from this family for good. There is a dutiful, good natured son in the back silent and following his parents every instruction (Ryan Gardner) and a set crying Red-headed toddler twins very unsure about the result of this journey but anxious for its conclusion (our supporters).
We are not a Subaru Forester.

We are not a Subaru Forester.
In the fourth quarter on Saturday I looked up and saw English in the goal square with Bruce and Naughton each about 20m away in a triangle formation. I have been watching the Bulldogs since 1985 and never have I seen 3 genuine tall marking options in any Dogs forward line like that.

Along with a midfield that has never batted as deep as it does....

English is more of a ruck/ forward now imo.

We need to recruit a bonafide 1st choice ruckman as Martin has limited years left.
The only player that has the athletic profile of the ruck we need is Matt Eagles (Brisbane). I wish we pushed for him harder.

Bevo going down the Gardener selection policy - just keep giving them games - theyw ill eventually do something and he will claim he was right all along.

McNeil 10 touches and 1 tackle and 1 horrible turnover to open the door for the lions - from a wing this time with more chance for involvement.
Had the least touches of any bulldog every week. Lipinski and Wallis been dropped this year for more output.

How many of us were calling for Young to replace Gardener for some time now.
Young comes in with 13 intercept possessions - something Gardener hadnt got near on any cosnsitent basis.
Stubborn Luke only made the change when he was forced to.
Lets see if he give Young the same opportunity as he did Gardener - Absolutely no chance that happens.

I'm glad stubborn Bevo kept with his stubborn persistence of Bruce in the forward line, his stubborn persistence of Naughton in the forward line, his stubborn effort to use Dale in the backline, his stubborn persistence to hold onto Dunkley despite wanting a trade, his stubborn persistence of getting games into English which is paying dividends now...We can all play observations to suit our narrative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God that suspension to CD is just hecking ridiculous. He literally is trying to turn him to put him down on his side, and the bloke springs forward and makes it look worse. Still doesn’t hit his head anyway and is completely fine. What a hecking joke. Anyway JJ to backline and Lip into Wing/HFF to cover. Hopefully this doesn’t mean ******* Scott keeps his spot

I'm glad stubborn Bevo kept with his stubborn persistence of Bruce in the forward line, his stubborn persistence of Naughton in the forward line, his stubborn effort to use Dale in the backline, his stubborn persistence to hold onto Dunkley despite wanting a trade, his stubborn persistence of getting games into English which is paying dividends now...We can all play observations to suit our narrative.

There are more examples. I think a big one is Josh Dunkley's playing position. At the end of 2018, I think it was clear to all of us that he's an A grade inside midfielder. Yet Bevo wasted 6 rounds playing him forward in 2019, potentially costing us wins and a home final.

He gets it right a lot, but he's also gotten it wrong, and stunningly us numpties on bigfooty could see what he couldn't on that occasion.

There are more examples. I think a big one is Josh Dunkley's playing position. At the end of 2018, I think it was clear to all of us that he's an A grade inside midfielder. Yet Bevo wasted 6 rounds playing him forward in 2019, potentially costing us wins and a home final.

He gets it right a lot, but he's also gotten it wrong, and stunningly us numpties on bigfooty could see what he couldn't on that occasion.

How does playing Scott and McNeill fit into this 'stubborn Bevo costing us games' narrative though? I didn't agree with the call to drop Wallis despite a thread being started here on BF but lo and behold, the Match Committee drop him. Similarly, there was a call to bring back JJ from BF posters when he sat out the first couple of games as supposedly these new man on the mark rules would suit him yet now some posters are scratching their head wondering why he's not tearing the game to shreds.

I'm more inclined to have faith in coaching staff and committees than I am in BF posters (sorry, I love you all but...). I just really hate the 'stubborn Bevo' or 'player x must have photos' crowd.

How does playing Scott and McNeill fit into this 'stubborn Bevo costing us games' narrative though? I didn't agree with the call to drop Wallis despite a thread being started here on BF but lo and behold, the Match Committee drop him. Similarly, there was a call to bring back JJ from BF posters when he sat out the first couple of games as supposedly these new man on the mark rules would suit him yet now some posters are scratching their head wondering why he's not tearing the game to shreds.

I'm more inclined to have faith in coaching staff and committees than I am in BF posters (sorry, I love you all but...). I just really hate the 'stubborn Bevo' or 'player x must have photos' crowd.
I agree with a lot of this post its all good to have an opinion and share it but a lot of people just go over the top we are 4 and 0 going for a tilt at the top enjoy the ride, the coaches won't always make the right decisions nor will the players but nor will you as a supporter, share your views have discussions but get over yourself

Surely you don’t believe that Bevo didn’t know Dunkley was a good inside mid?

Marcus Bontempelli’s 150th game. 🙏

I agree with a lot of this post its all good to have an opinion and share it but a lot of people just go over the top we are 4 and 0 going for a tilt at the top enjoy the ride, the coaches won't always make the right decisions nor will the players but nor will you as a supporter, share your views have discussions but get over yourself

All this with the only real change in how we go about things being the ruck/ruck fwd situation. By which is largely benefiting from English’s rushed development over the last 2 seasons.

The team that had s**t MC decisions and no game plan is now all of a sudden on top with a realistic chance to go the whole way.
That’s some sort of footballing wizardry.

I totally agree with this.

The self-delusion one must have to think the match committee are stubborn because they won't do what you, an anonymous football fan, think they should do. I'm not saying that we're all idiots but we are working with very incomplete information compared to what our coaching staff have access to. I'm not suggesting we should never question them or naively assume that they make perfect decisions but just show a bit of ******* humility.

No VFL at the moment leaves very few match fit players available. I would say Lipinski in the only change.

‘Could use Wallis but it’s not like we need marking forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back