Changing position

Remove this Banner Ad

runningfree

Draftee
Mar 25, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Long time reader, first time poster! All through junior footy I've played fullback, having no more than keeping someone goalless for the day! Moving now into senior footy our coach has put me on the half back flank. Personally I love the idea, but am struggling with the attacking side of the position, knowing when to go and when to stay, creating the drive. Any help would be great!

What's your fitness like? Anytime your team gets the footy across the midfield or in defence run forward and try to get involved in the play. No half forward will chase you - they're too lazy! You just need to be fit enough to get back and round up your man when needed.

When to leave your man to intercept the footy is a harder one. Will take time to get the feel for this. Don't leave your man unless you're going to impact the contest. You'll also get a feel for your opponent on the day. If they seem like a good player, stick close to them. They will take you to the footy. If they seem spuddish then you can get off them with a bit more confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back