Cheap good cricket bats

Remove this Banner Ad

A whole kit for $300? Won't be much quality stuff, I assure you.

Don't listen to Kahuna up there, worry about what kind of wood the bat you use is. Only English willow, not Kashmir (Sachin does not use Kashmir, what a stupid call).

He has said many times that his bat is made of Kashmir Willow, so shove it.

What I should of said is don't be put off by Grade1 Kashmir Willow, basically it is that same as Grade3 English Willow which most of our $200-$300 dollar bats are made of.

English Willow is better, derr. The ball will travel further and last longer due to the moisture content but it costs 3x as much and money is clearly a factor in CrazyQ buying his gear.

Maybe you could look at a new bat but used pads/gloves etc, used gloves and pads are usually really cheap.

Well you can get a quality high grade english willow bat for $200-$250. Then to buy gloves and pads will set you back a further $100 (if you buy in sales, online). As someone said earlier, you can get decent bags at second hand shops. So Kashmir bats don't have to be sought out, and this will be a kit for around $300.

So to take back my earlier comments, a decent kit can be had for that amount.

If you know some people at your club ask i anyone has any good old gear, like bags or you could get a good bat second hand off someone who has upgraded to a newer model

I dont wear a box but I wear a helmet.

Seriously, are you mad? I'd rather get sconed than take one in the nuts. I have a mate whose nut was shattered into 7 pieces by a cricket ball. He was bowling and copped a straight drive.

I got a bag that I would sell for $10 but can put it down. It is pretty big. I live in SA and can not post it

Any recommendations on cheap quality gear in Perth...Old man here (over 40) and have had the mandatory 2 training sessions that constitute a pre-season ;). Body is hating me at the moment though. First time playing in 20 odd years. Do Jim Kidd's still do any decent gear?. At this stage just looking for whites, shoes...oh and a box.....probably a hat as well. Any recommendations gratefully received.

Any recommendations on cheap quality gear in Perth...Old man here (over 40) and have had the mandatory 2 training sessions that constitute a pre-season ;). Body is hating me at the moment though. First time playing in 20 odd years. Do Jim Kidd's still do any decent gear?. At this stage just looking for whites, shoes...oh and a box.....probably a hat as well. Any recommendations gratefully received.

At your age - got any mates who retired over the last few years but still have their stuff?

At your age - got any mates who retired over the last few years but still have their stuff?
Unfortunately none who play cricket....Had a quick squiz in Jim Kidd's....should be able to get some stuff together for a reasonable price. Still not sure if the body will agree with me playing though :eek:. But hey if I don't try now it will never happen.

Maybe the club has club gear you can use. What club are you playing at?

Maybe the club has club gear you can use. What club are you playing at?

Yeah, I would have thought the same , but apparently doesn't happen at this club. The Mighty Warnbro Swans...
Had first game on weekend...I batted 4....with borrowed gear...and proceeded to run myself out for a duck...which involved a lovely timed glance to square leg...an easy single (so I thought)..... a new shoe that slipped off my foot :(...a stack onto the pitch...another slip when trying to get up....and still only run out by about 1/2 a foot....:p. Hopefully bat for a bit longer this weekend (did manage to last 3 balls). But do need to get some pads etc...and Gumtree looks likely as well...some reasonable gear on there at decent prices...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I would have thought the same , but apparently doesn't happen at this club. The Mighty Warnbro Swans...
Had first game on weekend...I batted 4....with borrowed gear...and proceeded to run myself out for a duck...which involved a lovely timed glance to square leg...an easy single (so I thought)..... a new shoe that slipped off my foot :(...a stack onto the pitch...another slip when trying to get up....and still only run out by about 1/2 a foot....:p. Hopefully bat for a bit longer this weekend (did manage to last 3 balls). But do need to get some pads etc...and Gumtree looks likely as well...some reasonable gear on there at decent prices...

Well done for getting out there. :)

Good stuff. They're are good club too by the way. :thumbsu:

Just an update on the "summer of tobsdad" :)
Had 2 games since then. Batted No 3 in a big victory. Made a reasonable 24 before being caught on the boundary trying to replicate a 6 I had hit in the previous over.
Then on the weekend promoted to opener! And carried the bat!! For 27 not out. Lol...we were rolled for 51.
Good fun...but the body is not going well. I'm pretty sure I have torn my thigh. Did it on the 3rd ball on the weekend! But soldiered on ( I shudder to think what we might have scored If I didn't!). Might have to have the next couple of games off to get it right. Serves myself right for not warming up properly (although in 36C heat I thought I would get away with it).

And gear wise, my generous brother decided he would "sponsor" me this year. So $400+ later have all the good gear ( mainly just Kookaburra stuff- but all nice quality). I would not be a bowler for quids....The edges on bats today are ridiculous... Even if you don't middle it the ball just pings of it!

Last edited:
Just an update on the "summer of tobsdad" :)
Had 2 games since then. Batted No 3 in a big victory. Made a reasonable 24 before being caught on the boundary trying to replicate a 6 I had hit in the previous over.
Then on the weekend promoted to opener! And carried the bat!! For 27 not out. Lol...we were rolled for 51.
Good fun...but the body is not going well. I'm pretty sure I have torn my thigh. Did it on the 3rd ball on the weekend! But soldiered on ( I shudder to think what we might have scored If I didn't!). Might have to have the next couple of games off to get it right. Serves myself right for not warming up properly (although in 36C heat I thought I would get away with it).

And gear wise, my generous brother decided he would "sponsor" me this year. So $400+ later have all the good gear ( mainly just Kookaburra stuff- but all nice quality). I would not be a bowler for quids....The edges on bats today are ridiculous... Even if you don't middle it the ball just pings of it!
Good job mate. I brought a new bat a few weeks ago but still knocking it in at the moment, funny thing is in the last few weeks since I bought it I've hit a bit of form including a half century with 5 fours and a six. So I'm unsure if I should bring out the new bat just yet :p

Good job mate. I brought a new bat a few weeks ago but still knocking it in at the moment, funny thing is in the last few weeks since I bought it I've hit a bit of form including a half century with 5 fours and a six. So I'm unsure if I should bring out the new bat just yet :p
Haha...such a superstitious lot are cricketers. I actually only knocked my newie in for about 4 hours with a mallet...one quick session in the nets and was good to go. It's covered in extratec so that helps. Always the way though...buy a new bat , find form with the oldie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back