Cheer Squads-how's yours?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching the Anzac Day game on the telly, and late in the last quarter the Bombers goal to take the lead.
Camera shot then focuses on Collingwood supporters behind the goals, including Joffa.
It looked like a funeral!
No excitement, anger, yelling, shouting for your team, nothing. Just sitting and sulking.

The last few times Joffa has been shown on TV he's had exactly the same look - dead.I suspect he is dead and a couple of his mates have been doing a 'Weekend At Bernies' with him.

Geelong one is a classic. Has that guy who was crying on the footy show after they didn't qualify for the 2010 grand final and Ablett was leaving. Let's not forget Catman. Had a few laughs today when they were focusing on the Collingwood cheer squad, that fat guy with the dreadlock type Collingwood hat, haha.

Never sit close enough to our Melbourne cheer squad to notice, but damn it is impressive when you hear the Eagles chant ring out at an away game (especially Etihad) drowning out the home crowd.

Even more impressive when it is clearly audible on the telecast.

Never sit close enough to our Melbourne cheer squad to notice, but damn it is impressive when you hear the Eagles chant ring out at an away game (especially Etihad) drowning out the home crowd.

Even more impressive when it is clearly audible on the telecast.

One of the great things about Etihad is how great its acoustics are.

Ours is probably one of the worst, in terms of getting the team pumped and making noise. Terrible chants, terrible banners (the *insert coach name* is our mastermind has been replaced with "Brendan McCartney: Our Taskmaster :eek:), hardly makes any noise.

Just not good :p

Sounds like ours. Do nothing til the balls in our end then the generic "north Melbourne, clap clap clap, north Melbourne"

Damn cheer squad laughed at me when I tried to start the song when the game was wrapped up against Geelong. The amount I've yelled out to them to make some nose is unbelievable. If I was allowed to drink I would lead our cheer squad to be the best cheer squad in the world.

If I was allowed to drink I would lead our cheer squad to be the best cheer squad in the world.

From reading your posts you look like you would fit right in with the cheer squad folk....

From reading your posts you look like you would fit right in with the cheer squad folk....

Because I'm passionate? I'm not rude or anything. Just very passionate.

And by drink I don't mean get plastered. I just enjoy a drink or two at the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheer squads are an absolute skid mark on the game. Pre-requisite to be a complete stain to be in a cheer squad. Any cheer squad. Any club.

They show them far too much on the telecast. That moron in the Collingwood squad, hanging over the fence screaming expletives at anyone and everyone, looking like he's been dragged through life backwards by the ankles... with the AFL hell-bent on protecting its brand, can it be happy with advertising that the average AFL crowd is comprised of raving lunatics like this bloke?

People get kicked from our cheer squad for cheering too loud.
Sad but true (for our home one anyway, our Melbourne cheer squad is pretty good).

Problem with most cheer squads is most are in it for the wrong reasons, and they become more focused on cheer squad politics than actually cheering the side.

it's never the cheer squad that makes the noise to get going at Melbourne games - it's mostly the Olympic with some MCC thrown in.

Sunday's game was the most bananas I've seen a Melbourne crowd in years.

it's never the cheer squad that makes the noise to get going at Melbourne games - it's mostly the Olympic with some MCC thrown in.

Sunday's game was the most bananas I've seen a Melbourne crowd in years.

The Dees supporters in the Olympic stand were going nuts on Sunday. Very vocal. I was sitting in there with like 3 Dogs supporters around me :p

Every cheer squad has a token fat s**t along with an assortment of nuffies.

Some of the chants that the Saints cheer squad come up with are cringeworthy. Our cheer squad seems to be mainly made up of teenage girls that are One Direction/Justin Bieber fans.

Yep, have to agree with Plugger here one hundred percent. If there's a prize for most embarrassing cheer squad - it HAS to go to us?

Has anyone ever heard on televised St Kilda games the schoolgirl chant: "We want another one, like the other one, goal, goal, goal, woo."

That right there is cheerleader s**t.

Sydney has the best Melbourne cheer squad, and I am being biased :)

That's because a soccer man is involved (JF).

All cheer squads are terrible. They're meant to support the team and help get them across the line but in reality they only react to events on the field rather than showing unconditional support.

Active supporters and groups > daylight > cheer squads.

Definitely something they need to learn from the EPL or American sports and hire entertainment that gets some decent chants going. Eagles games are great at night, however the AFL insists on us being at the footy on a sunday afternoon 90% of the time sweltering in the concrete hell hole that is Subiaco. The corridors are skinnier than my house with 20 minute long lines for anything and after you have spent $5.80 on a bottle of water (as the one drink fountain at the oval doesn't work) the last thing anybody wants to do is "eagles *clap clap clap* eagles...."

/endrant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back