Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

The chook is back on the lay. She had about 10 days off and I was a little worried but I think it was just due to the shortening of the days and needing to regrow some feathers.

3rd day in a row of getting an egg and she is really chomping through her feed.

How are your chooks doing Kram81 ?

How about you Chief ? Did they end up in the soup?

The chook is back on the lay. She had about 10 days off and I was a little worried but I think it was just due to the shortening of the days and needing to regrow some feathers.

3rd day in a row of getting an egg and she is really chomping through her feed.

How are your chooks doing Kram81 ?

How about you Chief ? Did they end up in the soup?
Lost two of the original ones, now lost one of the replacements to neighbours dog. Stupid thing flew over the fence.

Lost two of the original ones, now lost one of the replacements to neighbours dog. Stupid thing flew over the fence.

Hearing all these stories about chickens that were killed by dogs I feel lucky that my chicken only lost a few feathers.

Her tail feathers haven't fully grown back yet but they're getting there.

I keep her wing clipped so she can't fly over the fence so you might want to try that. Just need to cut the first 7 or so feathers on one side.

Wow, just went outside wondering what one of my chooks loose in the backyard was chasing and it's a baby snake about 400mm long with dark bands. It's gone under a drum now, locked all pets up so they don't get bitten..

Sounds like it was chook food. Should have got others to join the hunt :p

Wow, just went outside wondering what one of my chooks loose in the backyard was chasing and it's a baby snake about 400mm long with dark bands. It's gone under a drum now, locked all pets up so they don't get bitten..

Go chicken!

Chickens really are such big characters.... you don't realise how much personality they have until you own them.

Here is the chicken.

You can see her tail feathers haven't fully grown back yet since they were bitten off.

chook.jpg

2 weeks later and she has laid her first egg.

Quite small but I guess that's normal to start with.

Speaking of small eggs, can anyone top this little beauty one of my chooks (not bantams) laid when I first got them? It's about the same size as one of those mini Easter eggs.

001_zpsdfedc74e.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't bring myself to eating a chicken after it became a family pet.

I found homes for most of my Roosters but a handful weren't so lucky and got given to a friend for his soup. Doesn't bother me though because they lived a good life for almost a year in a big backyard enjoying themselves, the way that the chickens that get used for meat and eggs you get in the supermarket and the way they treated is a disgrace and should get banned. Oh but I guess animals like chickens and pigs aren't as 'cute' as dogs for most people so that makes it ok :rolleyes:

Speaking of small eggs, can anyone top this little beauty one of my chooks (not bantams) laid when I first got them? It's about the same size as one of those mini Easter eggs.

001_zpsdfedc74e.jpg

How much did you pay for them? I've got about 10 hens that I need to get rid of 15 months old, they are mongrel bantams but was gonna ask for $10 each but the buggers mostly haven't laid eggs for months. Don't know what the hell is wrong they get fed very well don't recall ever having this problem before. Might just give them away for free before they get too old at this rate.

Pedigrees are about $20-30 I think.

I found homes for most of my Roosters but a handful weren't so lucky and got given to a friend for his soup. Doesn't bother me though because they lived a good life for almost a year in a big backyard enjoying themselves, the way that the chickens that get used for meat and eggs you get in the supermarket and the way they treated is a disgrace and should get banned. Oh but I guess animals like chickens and pigs aren't as 'cute' as dogs for most people so that makes it ok :rolleyes:

Chickens are cute and funny creatures, and can be quite interesting to watch. (I come from a line of 6 generations of farmers)

Chickens are cute and funny creatures, and can be quite interesting to watch. (I come from a line of 6 generations of farmers)
We only have three hens.We had to offload six hens and a rooster (Dorking, five toes, check 'em out !) when we moved back into semi-suburbia. But yeah, they're so relaxing to sit and watch. We let 'em out of their coop for about an hour every day (lock the dogs inside) and just sitting there with a coffee and watching them scratch around and chat in their own language is great therapy after a hard day.

My chicken is a bit lonely. I'm going to get her a friend some time just not sure what breed I want.

My Australorp is so nice and quiet and it's certainly to do with her temperament as she can make noise she just chooses not to.

I don't want to spoil the peace by getting a noisy chicken but at the same time I don't want one as timid.

I think right now I'd go for friendliness over quietness.

Thanks mate. I reckon they will loving life in there. Considering puting on a solid roof on half of the pen to shelter them from the rain.

Sowed the wheat last night, here is hoping it sprouts within a couple of weeks.

you don't want to eat hens anyway, the meat won't be anywhere near as good as a rooster.
if you have an escape artist, you can either bury a wire fence, or set an angle at the top of the wire fence so the chicken can't climb over it, or just roof it across.

when I was a kid that's what we did - enclosed the chicken run completely and built a roost for them. each day we would get up to a dozen eggs from 12 or more hens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back