Choke

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was the Geelong player who could have taken possession of the football as it neared the boundary line but instead let it go for it to be kept in play by one of the Sydney players just before Davis kicked that final goal?

Looking at it I thought this was pivotal in the final result.

I hate Sydney! Bad luck all Cats supporters you ARE the better team and should have won the match, unlucky!!! ;)

No choke at all.

After looking at all the relative and appropriate circumstances, I can’t see anything to suggest a choke.

- Late withdrawals
- Hardly a player on the bench
- Sydney were always going to come back; quality teams do, especially at a final on their home turf.

blackdiamond said:
Who was the Geelong player who could have taken possession of the football as it neared the boundary line but instead let it go for it to be kept in play by one of the Sydney players just before Davis kicked that final goal?

Looking at it I thought this was pivotal in the final result.
It was Steve Johnson...i remember that well...all he had to do was take possession of the ball and the Sydney bloke would have tackled him out of bounds... the ball would have been 70m out from Sydneys goal with only 15 seconds to go and we would probably have won the game. :mad:

That being said, we should have still won with a ball up and 3 seconds remaining.

All this talk about injuries is crap. The game came down to the last minute, and in the end, Geelong lost because they didn't want the ball. Take a look at the replay, both Johnson and Scarlett could've easily taken possession of the footy, but made poor attempts at trying to shepherd it over the boundary. Sydney's desperation ultimately gave them the win - what has that got to do with injuries??

JuveRule said:
All this talk about injuries is crap. The game came down to the last minute, and in the end, Geelong lost because they didn't want the ball. Take a look at the replay, both Johnson and Scarlett could've easily taken possession of the footy, but made poor attempts at trying to shepherd it over the boundary. Sydney's desperation ultimately gave them the win - what has that got to do with injuries??

Had we had a fully fit side, who's to say we would've let it get down to that stage?

Steven King still playing may've won that ballup and knocked it down to a cats player... THATS what it has to do with injuries!!!

ben_cats_fan said:
Had we had a fully fit side, who's to say we would've let it get down to that stage?

Steven King still playing may've won that ballup and knocked it down to a cats player... THATS what it has to do with injuries!!!

Or, Steven King still playing and it wouldn't have got down there because Moons could have cut it off across half-back.

Damn injuries.

The very fact remains that the Geelong players were content to let the ball go over the line and at that stage, they weren't smart enough to realise that yes, it is a cut-throat final, yes, we do have injuries, yes, Sydney are finishing fast, we need to protect our slim lead, therefore we can't sit back and watch everything eventuate in front of our eyes. It's all about playing pro-active football, something they didn't do.

You're not going to tell me that the Cats have never played a game where they've had injuries and the team they're playing against is coming home with a wet sail. It's called experience. If Steve Johnson had've taken the ball (and then most likely get tackled over the line), the ball up in front of the Sydney goal would probably not have eventuated.

Having said that, the whole team will now know what playing in a final is really like. I thought they may have learnt after last years finals (against a fast finishing Essendon and then the defeat by Brisbane), but I expect big things from them next year, injuries or not.

I think this loss will prove a much better win for the GFC than actually winning the game. If we won, I don't think we would have had much chance of beating the saints next week, especially with our injuries during the game and the fact that we'd travelled. Also, the devestating loss will give us a huge fire in the belly to win the premiership next year. I don't think last year we had that much desire to win one, this year yes.. next year definitely. You all saw Mooney after the game, he was absolutely shattered.

I just really think that this will be a win for us in the future, even though it's so hard to accept right now.

Sargemo369 said:
Also, the devestating loss will give us a huge fire in the belly to win the premiership next year.

You all saw Mooney after the game, he was absolutely shattered.

I just really think that this will be a win for us in the future, even though it's so hard to accept right now.

I'd like to agree with you, but what about the loss to Brisbane last year. Did you see Scarlo's face then? he meant business. But i do agree, it will hopefully make us hungrier next year. The more i think about it, the more im liking next year!

Remember the Power were chokers to, and rightly so, as are we we should have won. But look what the Power did they came out and proved everyone wrong and WON A PREMIERSHIP, thats what we must do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back