Review #1: Chris Newman Observatory - Will Retire End of Season

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the first time I've had a look at player rankings and I don't know how they are judged (criteria) but at this stage it seems that Chris Newman is still ranked in our top 15...

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T120

Interesting I thought, given the number of people asking for him to be dropped. He's not our best but clearly not our worst either...
That tells us ding dong ding dong. Alarm bells ringing we are xxxxxx
Newman is a perfect example of admin fd list managers etc etc being satisfied with their own list and not being aware of how the rest of the comp is travelling
Inexcusable really

That tells us ding dong ding dong. Alarm bells ringing we are xxxxxx
Newman is a perfect example of admin fd list managers etc etc being satisfied with their own list and not being aware of how the rest of the comp is travelling
Inexcusable really
The real worry is that Hardwick said he was a 50/50 chance.....like we need him in the team. The fact that he keeps on picking people like Newman and Morris that contribute very little is exactly the reason that the team is not playing as a team (playing for each other) and that will always happen when the coach breeds a culture of rewarding players on reputation rather than form.

We can only go forward once Newman is cut from our list. If he was such a 'good bloke' he would have followed Jackson's lead and retired because he knew his best was past him.

The real worry is that Hardwick said he was a 50/50 chance.....like we need him in the team. The fact that he keeps on picking people like Newman and Morris that contribute very little is exactly the reason that the team is not playing as a team (playing for each other) and that will always happen when the coach breeds a culture of rewarding players on reputation rather than form.

We can only go forward once Newman is cut from our list. If he was such a 'good bloke' he would have followed Jackson's lead and retired because he knew his best was past him.
Exactly for example had no preseason after some heart surgery and walked straight into our top 4 line up
Please DH

Don't necessarily disagree with you but I posted this in another thread. I checked the player rankings on AFL.com & was surprised when I checked our squad (out of 40 odd players) Chris is ranked 15th. So I think the youngsters should be made to displace the older guys. If they can't they shouldn't play ? Not sure how they go about ranking the players though..???

Don't necessarily disagree with you but I posted this in another thread. I checked the player rankings on AFL.com & was surprised when I checked our squad (out of 40 odd players) Chris is ranked 15th. So I think the youngsters should be made to displace the older guys. If they can't they shouldn't play ? Not sure how they go about ranking the players though..???
I read your post. I just don't think this is a statistical observation. It's, drive, effort and progress to not only contribute today but for a a crack at a premiership tomorrow.

The player rankings do not consider downside versus upside. In this instance I think statistics are pretty useless.

The enthusiasm, motivation and drive you give a young player from an opportunity far outweighs Newman's higher statistical output.

I read your post. I just don't think this is a statistical observation. It's, drive, effort and progress to not only contribute today but for a a crack at a premiership tomorrow.

The player rankings do not consider downside versus upside. In this instance I think statistics are pretty useless.

The enthusiasm, motivation and drive you give a young player from an opportunity far outweighs Newman's higher statistical output.

Good comment overall. Hard to measure enthusiasm vs Stats. Also how maybe Newy might have a steadying influence on the squad & what impact that has is also difficult to measure? Guess there are just some things we'll have to differ to the coaches/match committee???

Good comment overall. Hard to measure enthusiasm vs Stats. Also how maybe Newy might have a steadying influence on the squad & what impact that has is also difficult to measure? Guess there are just some things we'll have to differ to the coaches/match committee???
If the team is going to progress we need new players and existing players that can be a 'steady influence'. As Chaplin mentioned, they just need to grow up and act like men!

This is the first time I've had a look at player rankings and I don't know how they are judged (criteria) but at this stage it seems that Chris Newman is still ranked in our top 15...

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T120

Interesting I thought, given the number of people asking for him to be dropped. He's not our best but clearly not our worst either...
Well if you not our best player and your not our worst that would put you in the average pile wouldn't it and at 32 him being on our list is an average decision at best. List clogger of the highest order.

He teaches the players that you don't have to be a good player to earn 250 plus a season and milk the club till your on a walking stick.

With Newman like Batchelor i find myself asking what role does he perform and are there better options.

In those player rating stats Chris is named as a sml/med defender. I have two questions. When was the last time Chris played back. In that role is he really the best option we have.

He clearly doesnt do enough as a mid or a fwd. Imo there are much better options we should be playing in defense.

With Newman like Batchelor i find myself asking what role does he perform and are there better options.

In those player rating stats Chris is named as a sml/med defender. I have two questions. When was the last time Chris played back. In that role is he really the best option we have.

He clearly doesnt do enough as a mid or a fwd. Imo there are much better options we should be playing in defense.
Our forward line is crap , could it be that we have two career back men playing in there. That's a 3rd of our forward line Dimma if you like stats

Our forward line is crap , could it be that we have two career back men playing in there. That's a 3rd of our forward line Dimma if you like stats
Agreed the forward line is horrible.

All of the following players would be better forward options than Newman and Morris.
Edwards, Knights, Butler, Petterd, Lennon, Mcdonough, and Lloyd.

It isnt hard to ask where do we play Newman and morris. There are better options than these two in defense and in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We saw yesterday that Newy is not part of the side going forward.
Great servant. Damn good player for a pick 70 odd.
Give Newy a final send-off game against the Eagles on a Friday night (don't do it in Dreamtime game as Fletcher will override everything). Or give him a send-off vs Giants or on a Friday night vs Carlton in round 15.

Lennon is not up to it at this stage neither are any of these other youngsters people like you want to see play, despite not earning a game .
Gifting games ruins kids it does not establish or increase the speed of their development .

We "gifted" games to a couple of youngen's yesterday and guess what, we won. If Pettard and Newman were fit, they would be picked ahead of kids like Ellis and Menadue.
Your argument is null and void.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

They don't make it easy to figure out how they calculate these rankings, TJ - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-26/player-ratings-frequently-asked-questions

My main doubt on the usefulness of these rankings on comparing Newman to other young players is that "Official AFL Player Ratings are based on a player's past 40 games". So perhaps, Newman's ranking will automatically be higher than a player who hasn't played 40 games yet.

Should not play again at AFL level.

Should go out with whatever dignity is left and retire in the next few weeks or apply his "leadership" skills in the 2's and mentor the kids coming through. Will be rushed back in when fit like he's some sort of vital cog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back