News Chris Pelchen quits!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well well well.....
We are in financial ruin... We picked a horrible time to bottom out... We are back to our culture of being easy beats .... Something GT and Ross worked hard to change... And it's now a long road back... Can we withstand it???

I will only respond to this despite most of your post being general poorly formulated thoughts as per usual. This is the best time to bottom out in the last 5 years. A TRULY uncompromised draft this year and we are on the cusp of taking one of the best midfielders of the next ten years yet this is a bad time?

If you had your way we would turn into Carlton/Essendon etc.. who are all middle of the road players who will achieve nothing in the next 5 years at their current rate.

No Pelchen was never some "god" who would deliver us from evil, but he did his job well.. which was get us good draftees in the door.

Can we change the title to, "finnis finds a way to screw up one of the only good things going for us"
dewah07
i think your a consistently good poster:thumbsu:
But that was a bit over the top mate. Pelican was pretty highly rated but losing a recruiting guy aint the be all to end all.
Some people on here loved the Pelican. Some hated him.
Who ever replaces him will pick the best kids available in the next few drafts. Simple.

dewah07
i think your a consistently good poster:thumbsu:
But that was a bit over the top mate. Pelican was pretty highly rated but losing a recruiting guy aint the be all to end all.
Some people on here loved the Pelican. Some hated him.
Who ever replaces him will pick the best kids available in the next few drafts. Simple.

Like I already said earlier. The club will already have a list of draftees they are interested in , listed in order.

Ah, the pelican is cooked. Pity.
Another half @rsed rebuild coming up with a change of focus.
5 year plan on track but derailed due to the "TOMCAT SYNDROME"
Cranberry-Glaze-Turkey_Final_1.jpg

Pelchen was the head of football and always said Trout had the say when the names were read out, i am sure he had a lot of input but in Trout we trust

Ah, the pelican is cooked. Pity.
Another half @rsed rebuild coming up with a change of focus.
5 year plan on track but derailed due to the "TOMCAT SYNDROME"
Cranberry-Glaze-Turkey_Final_1.jpg
Who has said we will change from getting the best kids available, then rorting free agency in a couple of yrs??
Why has that suddenly changed?

He got the a rse because people with balls finally saw through his crap, then he mouthed off about our blueprint, what a ******.
He wouldn't have had much of a say in who we draft would he? That'd be Trout, Elshaugh etc?

Well well well.....

Let's review his time... The great 'Pelican'

Came in as footy boss in 2011 (not recruiter or list manager as many a supporter confuse, that laud him with draft outcomes)

With a team 1 year from a Couple of GFs
Within a year... We dropped out of the finals
We had lost a coach who had got us to two grand finals... They did not remotely see eye to eye!
He led the hiring of as new coach... Who he ultimately sacked in two years.
We lost our obvious next captain (BJ) and then downgraded the compo pick with a trade for a Ruckman (hickey an unrequired #1 Ruckman) to try and get more of the 21-24yo demographic. BJ went to Ess to win the B&F there
He doubled up by doing the same for a 21yo WAFL full Foward Lee... Picks 12&13 out...
We then finished third last.
Hired a new coach (AR) after a messy late sacking and awe then cut deeper into the list with a new plan... To sell 21-25 yo players and uptrade into the draft for more young talent? 2018 wears now 2020?
This time we gave up another future captain.
We finished LAST and completed the master plan of being completely uncompetitive (some embarrassing performances) to secure its benefits.
Then we traded our only forward ruckmen... Were left with 5 ruckmen and none that can play forward??

Hmmm...

I consider him about as successful as Tim Watson
This (new) clear plan, direction... Was not genius, it was simple... Bottom out completely... Sell it to the members (by making them proud of being patient)... And hope like #### that we draft well?!
People carry on like he was responsible for every success sat StK
Firstly... What successes?
Secondly... It doesn't give credit to those actually responsible?!

We are in financial ruin... We picked a horrible time to bottom out... We are back to our culture of being easy beats .... Something GT and Ross worked hard to change... And it's now a long road back... Can we withstand it???

And we worship the fool in charge of the decline... As if it is a good thing.

WE ARE NOW ALMOST INSIGNIFICANT IN THE. AFL!

I guess Tywyn Lannister lost eventually.... And we will be better for it!

Am I happy?

Not really... Damage done...

Luckily the system ass it did with TW rewards mismanagement

Way to simplify dude. GT and Lyon could talk about no longer being easy beats because they had already gained the advantage of having us bottom out and rebuilding. No one will know the true fruits of what Pelchen planted for a few years yet. You kind of remove Pelchen from having any discernible role at the football club then blame him for all our failings in the same paragraph. I guess we will probably never know if his plan was truly good or just snake oil but don't make up stories blaming him for every failing the club has made or you are no better than the Lyon haters that blame him for everything that went wrong.

Who has said we will change from getting the best kids available, then rorting free agency in a couple of yrs??
Why has that suddenly changed?
You do know what the tomcat syndrome is right?
What is the first thing a new manager does when he takes over a business?
Leaves his mark on something..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi saints fans take the following as`rumors, have a lot of saints mates in the know. Heard the reason Pelchen quit was due to the trade period he got undercut by Baines and Finnis in 2 trades he had completed . but the other 2 put a stop to it.

1. Cut a deal to give your pick 1 to gws for 4 possibly 6 not sure and Traloer. Which was stopped.
2. Armitage to tigers for pick 12 was stopped.

Again take it as rumors heard it from saints mate's who have been right in the past, did not hear either of the 2 trades anywhere else.

hi saints fans take the following as`rumors, have a lot of saints mates in the know. Heard the reason Pelchen quit was due to the trade period he got undercut by Baines and Finnis in 2 trades he had completed . but the other 2 put a stop to it.

1. Cut a deal to give your pick 1 to gws for 4 possibly 6 not sure and Traloer. Which was stopped.

Again take it as rumors heard it from saints mate's who have been right in the past, did not hear either of the 2 trades anywhere else.
Instantly lost credibility here. No way GWS would have even offered that, let alone we would have said no.

The second trade, maybe. The first trade was more likely pick 1 for pick 4 & 7, which has been known. Whether this created turmoil between Pelchen and the others is another maybe.

If we turned down 1 for 4 or 6 and Treloar we'd be insane and the club should be burnt to the ground.

I was surprised that we turned down 12 for Armo when it was reported in the news.

Instantly lost credibility here. No way GWS would have even offered that, let alone we would have said no.

The second trade, maybe. The first trade was more likely pick 1 for pick 4 & 7, which has been known. Whether this created turmoil between Pelchen and the others is another maybe.
Exactly my thoughts. Not a chance we'd turn down Adam Treloar surely!

The only problem with this is that all the trades would be conducted by comittee, no one is going to have complete power to initiate a trade or kibosh one.

If that's how it went down it would make sense, to many bulls in one paddock.
We know he is ruthless and Finnis might not have the backbone to follow through with complete rebuild.
Anyone's guess at this stage.

If we said no to either of those trades I'd be exceptionally and pretty disappointed respectively.

Actually, if we knocked them both back I'd be all over exceptionally disappointed, as Treloar (who is possibly every bit as good as Petracca) would have been an immediate upgrade on Armo, in the same role (meaning we wouldn't necessarily miss him) and if we got pick 4 as well as Treloar then we could have gotten a Wright/McCartin practically as a "freebie".

As much as I love Armo and am dead-keen on Petracca, I would prefer Wright/McCartin, Treloar and say a Cockatoo/De Goey/Goddard/Langford over just Petracca and Armo every day of the week.

With the news in the paper the other day that Treloar is very very keen to get back to Melbourne, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they offered him to us to try and get the best return for him, rather than have him nominate a team like Hawthorn next year and be offered lots of inferior trade proposals.

Last edited:
On 3AW Caroline Wilson said Chris Pelchen's departure was inevitable because Matt Finnis doesn't think StK's football dept is good enough.

Wilson said Pelchen could see the 'writing on the wall' as soon as Finnis was appointed CEO.

I go bush for 2 days and this s**t happens?! I just hope he doesn't go to another club before the draft.

Would be an unprofessional act for any club to take a senior staff member like this, immediately prior to the draft, bringing specific drafting knowledge from their previous club. Not something that St Kilda would ever do (cough Richardson, cough cough).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back