Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Loggains: Haslam said “pull the trigger” on Manziel

manziel10.jpg

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam didn’t give the order to draft Johnny Manziel. Unless he did.

Despite an insistence from G.M. Ray Farmer that Haslam “at no point demanded, requested, tried to influence the process in any way,” quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains said Thursday that, after Manziel sent Loggains a “come and get me” text, Haslam issued the directive.

“As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, ‘Pull the trigger. We’re trading up to go get this guy,’” Loggains told Bo Mattingly of ESPN Arkansas, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Loggains explained that the text from Manziel said, “‘I wish you guys would come get me. Hurry up and draft me because I want to be there. I want to wreck this league together.’”

It’s not a surprise. At all. Haslam wants to run the show without leaving obvious fingerprints, since he knows he’s not really qualified to run the show. So he’ll run the show without carrying the title of G.M. and if/when it all falls apart he can hire a new G.M. and continue to run the show.

In other words, Haslam is doing what Jerry Jones should have been doing since 1989.

Rumor is....the Browns looked to draft Bridgewater at #22, but he did an "Eli", and so they then had to resort to Manziel.

Well then Browns did the Right thing and History of the Brown do you blame Teddy for saying That?

God that is Arrogant
Teddy Bridgewater: Cleveland wasn’t where I wanted to be

bridgewater2.jpg

New Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater was reportedly under consideration for Cleveland with the 22nd pick in the draft before Minnesota took him with the 32nd pick. Bridgewater is fine with dropping 10 picks later.

Bridgewater said on the Dan Patrick Show that he’s thrilled to play for the Vikings, more so than he would have been with the Browns.

“I actually told my agent that that’s not the place where I wanted to be,” Bridgewater said of Cleveland. “Throughout this entire process, I felt comfortable with the Minnesota Vikings. From every visit I had with the team, it was a family environment, the players are great guys, a great group of guys, so I felt comfortable wanting to play here.”

Despite reports that the Browns spent $100,000 on an analytical study of quarterbacks that told them Bridgewater was the best in this year’s draft class, and despite reports that the Browns drafted Manziel only because owner Jimmy Haslam ordered it, the football people in Cleveland have consistently insisted that Manziel was the guy they wanted. And apparently that’s just fine with Bridgewater.

Well he Brown would Boo his ass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

90% of NFL players are probably doing the exact same thing, it's just that Manziel has a bigger presence. And it's that presence or ego that will make him successful. Nobody wants to party with a backup QB after all.

90%!! You are kidding yourself. There is not a QB in the league that has doing anything close to what Manziel is doing at the moment. Partying, perhaps a few but the need to document, share and boast. No.

I really hope he doesn't win the starting spot and is made to work his arse off for a year to get it. I also hope behind closed doors and in the media he starts getting told to pull his head in.

I just don't really care. From all reports, he is doing exactly what he needs to be doing during the day. I'll judge him when the season actually starts.

Maybe get off the Piss

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-johnny-manziel-does-in-his-spare-time-period

"I'm not concerned," said Pettine after a minicamp practice earlier in June, via Pat McManamon of ESPN.com. "I would become concerned if it was something criminal, and I would be concerned if it affected his job. I think a lot of our guys, when they leave here if they were followed around, you'd get some very similar pictures. I don't know about an inflatable swan, but I think you'd get some pictures."

Because of his celebrity status, Manziel is a brand, one that has been cultivated to project the "Johnny Football" persona. It's managed, no matter how off-the-rails it appears, and it's that management, that careful handling, that makes Manziel nothing anyone should worry about.

Manziel is under a microscope, but it's a very narrow one. Everyone wants to see, and comment on, the times he goes out and has a few drinks. But where are they when he gives back to the community, as he did this week with other Browns rookies with the Youth Challenge program?

Manziel isn't running wild when he should be working. He's been present, on time and hardworking at every OTA practice and in minicamp. He's taken his playbook on his mini-vacations and studied the Browns offense.

I doubt the head coach is going to come out and say the opposite:

"I am concerned, we drafted this guy and put all the hopes for the future of this franchise on his shoulders and what does he do? Get photographed sculling champagne in an inflatable swan. FFS, how do you think this sits with the veterans? With his O-line guys? With all the guys getting paid hardly anything compared to him? What we wanted was a leader, instead we got. . we got THAT."

Obviously.

The key part is the bit about the Johnny Football persona though. You'd be stupid to think it isn't all somewhat calculated, and that his managers aren't keeping him in check. He's just promoting his brand, and that's what you get when you draft a celebrity. Some people won't like it, but Manizel was always going to polarise people.

Some people prefer a QB with a haircut you could set your watch to, while some prefer the wild untamed facial hair that reveals a new world of rebellion and change...

rmo96c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back