1.Freo - pretty good song for such a bad team
2.Port- as above
3.Richmond- as above above

Bottom three
1.Melbourne- nothing worse then copying american anthem tone
2.West Coast- I don't like my own teams song
3.Collingwood- just annoys me this one

your an idiot buddy

just thinking about the tigers song. other then loving there footy club but would that be one of the reasons why they go for richmond. n if they didnt have this good song. would they still be tiger fans. Go The Blues

1. Sons of the West
Red White and Blue
We'll come out snarling
Bulldogs through and through

2. We're the rollers
we're the rockers
we're the mighty freo dockers
we're gonna roll and we'll rock em
we're gonna send em to the bottom
and if they get up
we'll do it again
Dockers stop at nothing, nothing
Freo, way to go

3. We are the pride of Brisbane town
we wear maroon, blue and gold
we will always fight to victory
like Fitzroy and bears of old
all for one
and one for all
we will answer
to the call
we're the Lions
Brisbane Lions
we'll kick the winning score
you'll hear a mighty roar

14.da da da da da
da da da da da
da da da da da da da da da
we are the navy blues

15. Oh when the saints go marching in
oh when the saints go marching in
oh how I want to be with st kilda
oh when the saints go marching in

16. hey eagles
hey eagles
hey eagles
hey eagles
we're flying high
we're flying high

Huh? OK not most but many...

Hawks "Yankee Doodle" is a well-known Anglo-American song, the origin of which dates back to the Seven Years' War. It is often sung patriotically in the United States today and is the state anthem of Connecticut.[1]
Melbourne is a civil war song
Lions French Anthen
Swans The "Notre Dame Victory March" is the fight song for the University of Notre Dame.
Crows tune is the "Marines Hymn" or commonly known as "From the halls of Montezuma". Which is the song of the US Marine Corps.

Top three club songs
1.Freo - pretty good song for such a bad team
2.Port- as above
3.Richmond- as above above

Bottom three
1.Melbourne- nothing worse then copying american anthem tone
2.West Coast- I don't like my own teams song
3.Collingwood- just annoys me this one
heard it too many times against your mob mate? :p

good songs
1.collingwood
2.melbourne
3.richmond

bad ones
1.west coast
2.fremantle
3.carlton

It seems very clear that all the 'new' clubs; Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle, Brisbane and Port Adelaide need to hit the recording studios with a deep voice, a banjo, a double bass, and a trumpet!

On another note, even though most of the victorian clubs use existing songs and least they change all the words. Shame St Kilda. Completely unoriginal.

I think Sydneys is the best (onwards to victory!) so i'll leave it out of this, also btw thank christ we don't have to endure 'up there for sydney' anymore like we did for a while.

1. Carlton - the whole song just reeks of that Carlton arrogance, which is exactly why it works so well.

2. Adelaide - Clearly i'm in the minority here, I really like the Crows theme song, easily the best of the non original 12 teams.

3. Richmond - I think perhaps the song itself isn't that great, but it's impossible not to get sucked into the 'yellow & black' part.

Ok so here's the worst

1. Fremantle - no wonder they never win, would you like to sing this crap after you've busted your arse for 2 hours playing footy. And I watched that Volga Boatmen song clip, no mention in that of 'we're the rollers we're the rockers' or 'dock dock dockers, show them how we rock' or any other such inspiring lines.

2. West Coast - 'We're the big birds'
125495742887.jpg
:confused:

3. St. Kilda - at least the others put some effort in, changing two words doesn't constitute effort.

Dishonourable mention: Port Adelaide. It's just sort of a nothing song.

If Brisbane were still the Bears, I'd guarentee that 'Dare To Beat The Bear' would rate highly on most peoples worst lists too.

I think a lot of people say Freo, Richmond etc because these clubs rarely win games. When they do, the supporters get really excited and the atmosphere is a lot greater than when some of the better teams win every week. Just a thought. Also, when you hear songs too much they get old, which is another reason why people might like the Richmond and Freo songs.

here's a marketing idea ,the clubs have on off jumpers ,away jumpers ect ,which lots off loyal fans fork out ther hard earned to buy ,why not have a one off club song each year which could also be sold of to the loyal punters EG the brisbane side of 2001 -2003 could have had a cover of (we cant be beaten ) Geelong of recent times (hit me with your best shot )collingwood (whats a matter you gotta no respect ah shutupa your face )change the words a bit to get past the copy right laws ,more money in the clubs coffers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Carlton - the whole song just reeks of that Carlton arrogance, which is exactly why it works so well.

SPOT ON!

1. Tigers - like the Tigers of old... best club song by far
2. Blues - same as above quote... and they will know that they've been playing against the famous old dark Blues!
3. Swans - up beat and I love the phrase shake down the thunder from the sky

Melbourne could have snuck into 3rd but the Auld Lang Syne reference makes it seem like they just ran out of words.

3. Port - we'll never stop stop stop... oh please... STOP!
2. WCE - not very footy like for mine
1. Freo - what the hell?

Dishonourable mention to the Saints. How very unoriginal.

Victorians have no cultural standing what so ever.

[youtube]kK5XBaslNd0[/youtube]

Volga the boatman is hardly rousing. It's a dirge song.

For some cultural understanding (if I can remember)
Adelaide - Marine's Hymn
Brisbane - La Marseillaise (French National Anthem)
Carlton - Lily of Laguna
Collingwood - Goodbye Dolly Grey
Essendon - Keep your Sunny Side Up
Fremantle - Volga
Geelong - Toreador
Hawthorn - Yankee Doodle Dandy
Kangaroos - A wee Deoch and Doris
Melbourne - Grand Ole Flag
Port - Some piece of crap they made up
Richmond - Row, row, row
St Kilda - When the Saints go marching in
Sydney - Notre Dame Victory March
West Coast - Some piece of crap they made up
Western Bulldogs - Sons of the Sea

In order of favourite: (on just a pure song basis)
Kangaroos
Sydney
Collingwood

Least Favourite
Port
West Coast
Fremantle

Best:

1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Essendon

Worst:
1. Fremantle
2. Saints (Nothing against the song itself, but using it almost completely unchanged is fairly boring)
3. Adelaide

1. Richmond - The best: only thing the Tiges have got going for themselves at the moment. Song ties in well with the jumper as well - "...yellow and back...".

2. Carlton - Great traditional sounding song

3. Swans - Reckon this is a great song very much underrated by supporters from other clubs.

14. Port Adelaide - might start to sound better with time. Such a great bogan club (said with great affection) should have set the words of their song to an AC/DC number - "Jailbreak", "Highway To Hell"'?

15. Melbourne

16. Adelaide

Crows tune is the "Marines Hymn" or commonly known as "From the halls of Montezuma". Which is the song of the US Marine Corps.

And respectfully used by Apollo Creed while walking into the stadium to fight Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. When this movie gets a run every year or so i can't help but sing "We're the pride of South Australia".:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back