Remove this Banner Ad

jknothimjustafan

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
What does the person doing that job actually do? Telling the coaches how to coach? They all seem to be former senior coaches. It would make sense, they still have the knowledge but they don't want the day to day responsibility any more. Is there more to it though that i'm missing?

4 years later, I am still trying to figure out what this role does. Anyone have any ideas at all?
Still sounds like a phony job with very little value.

4 years later, I am still trying to figure out what this role does. Anyone have any ideas at all?
Still sounds like a phony job with very little value.
I would have thought someone coordinating and monitoring the football coaching/operations staff would be worthwhile. The head coach has enough to focus on without running the department.

John Worsfold once shared how detrimental it was to his role when he found himself spending more time as a manager than actually coaching. This role is designed to largely relieve the head coach of those responsibilities so he can concentrate on the football aspect.

Job for the boys, like half the off field footy staff they are not required and just a waste of money.
This is the one thing that annoys me when clubs are losing money and the AFL never ask them to trim their footy costs.
There is no proof what so ever that a club with 30 people in the MC will beat a side that has 10 people in their MC.
Football will always come back to one great leader and 22 good footy players. You can have as many coaches as you want but without the great leader and footy players then it is just jobs for the boys.

I would have thought someone coordinating and monitoring the football coaching/operations staff would be worthwhile. The head coach has enough to focus on without running the department.

That sounds valid enough, I just wonder how busy that role would get, if at all. If I recall correctly the first I ever heard of this was when Collingwood introduced the role for Malthouse when Buckley took over. It just kind of seemed like they wanted to keep Mick off the market while at the same time give Nathan a go-to guy for assistance.

However If the coaches have mentioned they need someone to help with managing the department then fair enough. I do wonder though if this director is above the head-coach then in pecking-order and if he wears any responsibility for the team performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back