Colin Sylvia Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure you can draw that bow...

Sylvia is likely to be paid every cent of his contract.

The benefit for Freo is list space, saving on resources and possibly a rookie upgrade
It highlights the disdain Freo have for Sylvia that Ross was actively bagging him the days before the club had been trying to manufacture his retirement.

We don't need the list space immediately, besides it's not fun driving down to Mandurah for a training and he was probably shunned by his teammates because of his attitude. I reckon we saved some money here

We don't need the list space immediately, besides it's not fun driving down to Mandurah for a training and he was probably shunned by his teammates because of his attitude. I reckon we saved some money here

It is possible but i pose you this question

You are a bloke with no life skills and all you have to do is drive to mandurah 3/4 times a week. You choose not to do this and give up $400k for the convenience.

Whilst Col might be that stupid - his manager wouldn't be.

It is possible that Freo saved some money, who knows maybe pre-paying his wages they get a CPI discount - but I highly doubt it was meaninful. I just hopes Col negotiated to get some of the money paid in July

You are a bloke with no life skills and all you have to do is drive to mandurah 3/4 times a week. You choose not to do this and give up $400k for the convenience.

It is possible that Freo saved some money, who knows maybe pre-paying his wages they get a CPI discount - but I highly doubt it was meaninful. I just hopes Col negotiated to get some of the money paid in July
I pose you this.

If your current boss was going to sack you in 18 months time but offered you 75-90% of your 18 month wage to walk away now (spread out for tax and cap payments etc). Would you take it?

A person's time is an important commodity. It just depends who wanted to end it most.

Look, I agree to an extent and if I was Colin I'd probably stretch it for as long as I could, but what caught my eye is that "immediate departure". Not sure what value club is getting from that, especially if it turns out that we can't upgrade a rookie as a result. And even if we could, while some of them are really exciting prospects, none of them would slot into first 22. Surely the club saved at least half of his wages for next year to have any value. That's all

Look, I agree to an extent and if I was Colin I'd probably stretch it for as long as I could, but what caught my eye is that "immediate departure". Not sure what value club is getting from that, especially if it turns out that we can't upgrade a rookie as a result. And even if we could, while some of them are really exciting prospects, none of them would slot into first 22. Surely the club saved at least half of his wages for next year to have any value. That's all

It stops Ross Lyon from being asked about the bloke, it stops you having to have welfare officers chaperone him.

Ultimately it stops you guys being responsible for his actions. The bloke is a loose cannon, was never going to deliver for you club and only poses as a liability as a Frementle player

The line of "immediately" shows how much the club wanted him ****ed off and quite reasonably

I pose you this.

If your current boss was going to sack you in 18 months time but offered you 75-90% of your 18 month wage to walk away now (spread out for tax and cap payments etc). Would you take it?

A person's time is an important commodity. It just depends who wanted to end it most.

Col could probably earn $50k in bush leagues? maybe a bit more? and won't get it until next year anyway

Being sacked now brings his pay into the 2015 FY and maybe 2016. Holding on another year gets him to stretch out the money into 17 as well.

Sports stars do get an averaging provision, however moving 150k into 2017 would save the bloke $30k

I do understand time is a commodity and yes Freo may have made some very minor savings - but they'd be negligible at best for Freo IMO

Col could probably earn $50k in bush leagues? maybe a bit more? and won't get it until next year anyway

Being sacked now brings his pay into the 2015 FY and maybe 2016. Holding on another year gets him to stretch out the money into 17 as well.

Sports stars do get an averaging provision, however moving 150k into 2017 would save the bloke $30k

I do understand time is a commodity and yes Freo may have made some very minor savings - but they'd be negligible at best for Freo IMO

I don't think Freo would have cared about saving coin, they just wanted the bloke out of their hair. Would have been a massive distraction for all.

Haha Freo's top recruit list (blunders) would marry up well with the Tiges over the years.

On top of that, our recruiting team gifted Pavlich to Freo so they've had the last laugh.

Yeah, we had some shockers but not as many as your mob. Keep in mind, Colin Sylvia would be in your top 10-15 players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the talk was the he was actually a very good bloke at the Dees in his latter years. Nowhere near the unprofessional menace his reputation had given him. Won Melbourne's community award.

I think his career went in 3 stages:
1) Talented country kid who took a long time to settle in to AFL professionalism
2) Frustrated losing team player without the 110% commitment to rise above the slop
3) Free agent recruit who never found the passion to respond to a tougher challenge

And he was burdened by injuries at all 3 stages.

Free agency was always going to get guys paid above their output. When you don't give up any draft picks for a player you can afford to pay them more.

The lesson is to either avoid players who aren't going to give you their all or to make the pay performance based.

Over-rated flat track bully. Melbourne supporters touted him as being on the edge of elite for years while he played for them.

The thing with him was he'd dominate a game very occasionally (for some reason usually against Richmond), then follow up with multiple weeks of doing absolutely nothing. Or occasionally he'd run through opponents tackles at speed and goal from 60. Seeing stuff like that was more frustrating than a player with no talent. Essentially he finishes his career as a spud which is a shame.

GLAD THIS NEVER HAPPENED

sylvia.jpg

Hey ross! All watts needs is a new environment, and a super elite coach like you to make him a star.
Do it ross, trade with us for watts

$400k he is having a laugh.

The club wanted the spud out because he would have stayed till the end of his contract.

Such a shame he didnt even try.

Hey ross! All watts needs is a new environment, and a super elite coach like you to make him a star.
Do it ross, trade with us for watts

Watts would play better at freo. Psychologically the guy is piss weak and he cant get over the bad press he received in melb. Needs to mobe club to make something of his career.

I think Sydney were paying Bradshaw still the year after he retired.

No ways freo would have let him retire then. They would have waited for him to not honour his contract to terminate it. They did wait by making him travel 2 hours for Peel and bad mouthing in media. However, for the $$ this wasnt a problem for him and was just goin to turn up so they couldnt terminate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back