List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Not bad for a bottom ager who some have said will only end up a VFL player

He’s slight, but if he’s quick enough and uses it well enough, he can clearly find the footy.

He’s slight, but if he’s quick enough and uses it well enough, he can clearly find the footy.
Even better than those things I think he has his dad,s brains and footy nous, as most people are aware Mickey has a fantastic footy brain.Thomas has been around the club since he was about 13 or 14 and is a natural footballer and though he is 18 mths away he is 1 we will be watching closer and closer as we get nearer his draft year.

Even better than those things I think he has his dad,s brains and footy nous, as most people are aware Mickey has a fantastic footy brain.Thomas has been around the club since he was about 13 or 14 and is a natural footballer and though he is 18 mths away he is 1 we will be watching closer and closer as we get nearer his draft year.

Can you imagine how many training sessions Mick has dragged him along to while he was coaching? He would have been like the team mascot.

And here I thought he had a solid day…

6c62afed93b79435073709789cdf5193.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Physical development, over that time, will play a big part.

That would be amazing. Mick’s #34 was the first I ever had on a Collingwood jumper, and I was there to see his seven bounces at the MCG. Bliss!

#7 Thomas McGuane
Midfielder | 177cm | 27/08/2007

Stats:
24 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals

McGuane spent most of Saturday’s game out on the wing, where he swept back to support the defence and help transition the ball from end to end. He showed his class with two goals; the first being a terrific finish on the run, and the second a set shot on the angle. The 2025 Collingwood father-son prospect also got a late run at the centre bounces and is quite versatile in that regard.

#33 Luke Quaynor
Defender | 179cm | 17/03/2006

Stats:
16 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles

If Smith was a lone hand in midfield, Quaynor was Oakleigh’s main man down back. The Collingwood NGA prospect made his marking a feature, snapping up several intercepts with his powerful leap and clean takes in the air. Quaynor was also tasked with the kick-ins but proved he could find the ball on a high line, not just relying on the restarts to pad his stats. Like last week, he also got a late run in midfield and offered the usual notes of physicality and effort.

What’s the story with this kid?
What are his chances looking like draft wise and at what range for those who follow this a little more closely?
Ive seen some people rank him about #47 at this point.
He's not in vic metro (though did trial for it) or the academy, so safe to assume he'd be outside the top 40 prospects.
His coach (Ash Close) mentioned to me, he is draftable, bit its tough to break into the top 30 mids given how many mids this draft contains.

Last year in school footy he made a name for himself playing as a intercepting third defender, played some midfield/back at chargers in his bottom age year. But this year, been purely playing as an inside mid. A bit of forward too. He wanted to get some versatility, so can play a range of positions.

Ive seen some people rank him about #47 at this point.
He's not in vic metro (though did trial for it) or the academy, so safe to assume he'd be outside the top 40 prospects.
His coach (Ash Close) mentioned to me, he is draftable, bit its tough to break into the top 30 mids given how many mids this draft contains.

Last year in school footy he made a name for himself playing as a intercepting third defender, played some midfield/back at chargers in his bottom age year. But this year, been purely playing as an inside mid. A bit of forward too. He wanted to get some versatility, so can play a range of positions.
I, and I imagine the club, like this in a prospect. A decent sized versatile utility type would be handy

I, and I imagine the club, like this in a prospect. A decent sized versatile utility type would be handy
Especially one his size. Has the body of an afl player imo And thats even without having an afl pre-season.
He used to be in the rowing team, so that probably helped his strength.

Especially one his size. Has the body of an afl player imo And thats even without having an afl pre-season.
He used to be in the rowing team, so that probably helped his strength.
Endurance would be there from rowing.

Whilst he has hype and has played well at APS level, it is only school footy. There’s a big bridge between that and even Coates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Endurance would be there from rowing.

Whilst he has hype and has played well at APS level, it is only school footy. There’s a big bridge between that and even Coates.

Oh yes I know. He does solidly at Coates. The games he is able to play. Given all the mids they have to rotate. At least they can put him forward or back if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGuane will be a star, I've decided
I am not sure he will be a star as such but he has a natural football nous if he develops a bit of speed he will be a good player and I am certain TW Sherrin is right we will draft him.
18 mths is draft time for him but you can see the talent there as an under aged player already he will get on a list somewhere and it may as well be for the Pies.

Already on the table is a revamp of the draft bidding system on Indigenous and multicultural players from Next Generation academies in this year’s national draft.

Previously, most clubs were blocked from free access to academy graduates before pick 40 in the draft, but this is set to be scrapped.

“It’s definitely something on the agenda, I don’t know what it would change to [from pick 40],” Kane told this masthead.

“I think it’s very fair to say we are open to making sure we do not disincentivise or prohibit young kids – multicultural or Indigenous kids – from being picked, so we are definitely open to it. But it is tied into other things, to the [points system] and player movement rules holistically.

“We have signalled to clubs we have an appetite as appropriate to change things as quickly as we can. I am not ruling out change for this year [the national draft] but we are working with all clubs about what does that look like.”

Next Generation academy rules and recruiting zones​

Tying Next Generation academy (NGA) zones to AFL clubs was meant to encourage them to invest in their zones in an effort to unearth untapped talent.
Clubs had priority access to Indigenous talent that emerged in their zone. But after the Western Bulldogs landed key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with the first pick in the 2020 national draft, the rules changed. Now clubs don’t have priority access to any player from their academy who other clubs want to select before pick 40 in the national draft.

West Coast missed out on recruiting Collard in the last national draft despite identifying his potential then readying him to play AFL over several years through their academy.
Instead, Collard was taken at pick 28 by St Kilda. The Eagles made a loss on their investment and the 18-year-old’s improvement was rewarded with a move away from his home state.

Kane confirmed the AFL would revisit the academy zones. Under the existing carve-up, some clubs such as Carlton only have access to an urban area in Melbourne (in the Blues’ case, it covers the northern suburbs), but no regional area. Meantime Collingwood’s zone of Barkly in the Northern Territory, which covers an area of about 323,000 square kilometres and takes in Tennant Creek, has not produced a player for the Magpies.
Asked if the AFL was reviewing academy zones and the logic behind them, Kane replied: “Yes and yes”.

“We need to take a broad view, along with the talent concession conversation, around what the map [of zones and NGA regions] looks like,” she said.
“How do we incentivise and then how do we build out the club’s reach and make sure it is connected to their supporter base and schools and community engagement because we know that works?”

Kane confirmed that a raft of recommendations to reform the Next Generation academies has been sitting with the AFL Commission since last August. The recommendations included a proposal to remove the draft restrictions on NGA talent, which currently mean clubs are unable to recruit their own academy products before pick No.40, and return it to anywhere from pick No.1.

The recommendations put to the commission last year in a report authored by Xavier Moloney and Vandenbergh also proposed that clubs be forced to commit for more than one year to category B rookies and redress the radical funding cuts to Next Generation academies.
While the AFL’s northern academies for Sydney, Greater Western Sydney, the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast each receive annual AFL funding of about $600,000 respectively, the NGAs – designed to attract Indigenous and multicultural athletes with no Australian rules background – each receive one-tenth of that amount. Their funding was slashed from $120,000 to $60,000 a club during the pandemic.

Fremantle, who invest about $1 million a year into their Kimberley region, have lost two academy players – Jesse Motlop (Carlton) and more recently Mitch Edwards (Geelong) – since the AFL changed the rules in 2020.

However, those proposed academy reforms, according to the league’s football boss, would form part of a wider restructure that would include a rectified approach from the industry towards development of junior talent.
“Aboriginal players have made such a big contribution to our game, but there has been a disconnect from the pathway to the elite,” said Kane. “It’s going to take a lot of time. It can’t be fixed overnight but we will fix it.”
Then CEO-elect Andrew Dillon conceded to this masthead last July that the competition had perhaps overreacted in toughening up the Next Generation academy rules in 2020 after the Western Bulldogs took their star academy recruit Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at pick No. 1 in the national draft.

In 2020, 87 Indigenous footballers were playing at AFL clubs. Numbers since then have continued to decline on an annual basis with just 71 players currently listed. Those figures have also been reflected at national under-18 and under-16 levels with Indigenous coaching and other leadership roles in football’s pathways few and far between. State leagues remain unwilling or disincentivised to employ Indigenous staff.
Kane agreed the decision to toughen the academy rules had been a contributing factor to the falling Indigenous numbers, along with cost-of-living issues and the fallout from the COVID pandemic.

Then CEO-elect Andrew Dillon conceded to this masthead last July that the competition had perhaps overreacted in toughening up the Next Generation academy rules in 2020 after the Western Bulldogs took their star academy recruit Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at pick No. 1 in the national draft.
My goodness, the AFL overreacted to something and made a ridiculous rule change in response?

Surely not… 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back