C'wealth Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Initially I wasn't too fussed with the coverage, but last night it became ludicrous. Fortunately the footy was on for most of the night, but after that - Thank God fo IQ. It's times like this the cost of Foxtel makes it worth while. Fast tracking the ads is the only way to maintain one's sanity.

Unless you live in tarded WA and you can't get the free to air channels through your Foxtel. :mad:

Does anyone, anywhere, understand the Kierin?

It does seem a little odd to have a normal 1-on-1 sprint and a keirin event (which is just a mass sprint). Certainly track cycling suffers from a fair bit of duplication in the final product (they are mostly just sprints - even the 25k scratch race is just 'Hang around until the end, slipstream and then sprint'). The keirin is spectacular (that's tv-ratings code for 'the event most likely to have a crash').

Then there's a team sprint - then a sprint time trial. And it's the same riders who do most of them.

It does seem a little odd to have a normal 1-on-1 sprint and a keirin event (which is just a mass sprint). Certainly track cycling suffers from a fair bit of duplication in the final product (they are mostly just sprints - even the 25k scratch race is just 'Hang around until the end, slipstream and then sprint'). The keirin is spectacular (that's tv-ratings code for 'the event most likely to have a crash').

Then there's a team sprint - then a sprint time trial. And it's the same riders who do most of them.

It's why I don't pay much attention to the medal count...Not all gold medals are created equal.

e.g. Why is a 100m swim so different to a 50, or a 200? Gymnastics tends to have the same people get bucketloads (and usually in the same day), but a marathon, or a hockey tournament are still only worth 1.

there is cross over in sprinter(and endurance) events. they all require little skills changes. Meares was always better at the 500M TT, but Victoria Pendleton was the better sprinter for example. there is a always duplication in these type of start/finish events

the Scratch race has different riders involved, mostly endurance cyclists. the sprinters wouldnt last the distance. and not all races are the same. the mens had 4 people on a lead rap as they caught the field.

I dont like the Olymipic program atm, as they include most of these events in the Omnium(Points, Scratch, 1K sprint, 3-4K pursuit, and elimation), which is where one rider completes them all and gets points for their finishing position. they have a team pursuit, but no individual pursuit which seems silly. and the 2 man Madison was something to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great final well done South Africa for being the first team to beat New Zealand in Commonwealth games sevens.

+1. And we don't have to hear about NZ never being beaten in 7's Rugby at the Commonwealth Games for the umpteenth time ever again (looking at you Gordon Bray) :thumbsu:

It's why I don't pay much attention to the medal count...Not all gold medals are created equal.

e.g. Why is a 100m swim so different to a 50, or a 200? Gymnastics tends to have the same people get bucketloads (and usually in the same day), but a marathon, or a hockey tournament are still only worth 1.

Its why its is interesting to do an adjusted medals table. Count 1 basketball medal as 12 not 1. A hockey medal as 16 not 1. A soccer medal as 20 not 1 etc.

If anything - at Olympic level is shows the true domination of the USA as they regularly have had 9 or 10 teams in the 14 teams events ie Men + Women over 7 disciplines or 8 if you separated baseball from softball. The yanks would generally win 5 medals and usually 3 or 4 were gold.

If you look at Oz's performance between 1996 and 2008 when you did this adjusted table one year we out ranked the Russians and except for Beijing outranked the Chinese. 1996 we jumped from 9th on the medals table to 4th on my adjusted total as we won medals in 4 team events. But it helped that we had a team in just about every team sport as Oceania's representative.

Its why its is interesting to do an adjusted medals table. Count 1 basketball medal as 12 not 1. A hockey medal as 16 not 1. A soccer medal as 20 not 1 etc.

If anything - at Olympic level is shows the true domination of the USA as they regularly have had 9 or 10 teams in the 14 teams events ie Men + Women over 7 disciplines or 8 if you separated baseball from softball. The yanks would generally win 5 medals and usually 3 or 4 were gold.

If you look at Oz's performance between 1996 and 2008 when you did this adjusted table one year we out ranked the Russians and except for Beijing outranked the Chinese. 1996 we jumped from 9th on the medals table to 4th on my adjusted total as we won medals in 4 team events. But it helped that we had a team in just about every team sport as Oceania's representative.

Yeah, but it's not just the teams events...I suppose I also consider how much competition they have.

100M sprint, practically everyone in the world has done it at some stage, so being the best is a massive deal.
Being the best at dressage (not at comm games, but whatever) means you're the best of the few thousand who can afford to do it on a regular basis.

Exactly. That's why I always ignore the 'Medal Tables' - as if the fact that we don't win enough medals at Ping Pong or wrestling and dropped down the medal table is a reflection on our nation's sporting ability.

Just put Surf Lifesaving in the 2018 CG and we'll win another 30+ medals.... and who cares? I don't care that Malaysia beat us at Badminton - it's one of their national sports - of course they are going to win plenty there. We like swimming, cycling, horses, rowing, and win plenty there. Why is Netball in the Games - there's really only 2 countries who can win. Does the fact that we beat Wales by 100 to 1 really prove anything other than we are good at Netball - and thank god the CG doesn't have a singing competition as a sport, or we'd get our arses handed to us.

The whole point of the Olympics is to spread the sports around so each continent has some sports they are good in. If they don't have appeal to around 100 countries around at least 4 of the 6 continents then they wont get in.

Judo only got in - in 1964 because of Tokyo hosting and it was big in Asia. Taekwondo is only in the Olympics because its predominately an Asian sport the Seoul Olympics and the dodgy IOC vice president and ex Korean CIA operative Mickey Kim got the version of Taekwondo was president of the International Federation. Beach Volleyball only came in for TV and Golf came in because of the $$$ associated with the sport.

I have no real idea about what is going in handball around the world but every 4 years I enjoy watching the sport. Same with volleyball. Nobody equally likes 26 sports over 39 disciplines and the same all round the world.

The Comm Games suffers from lack of depth in many sports. I don't see it as some world games - but in the odd event it is world class and half the field are the best few in the world. Rugby 7's is dominated by Commonwealth countries. Only the French aren't there of who would likely win a gold medal in Rio. So its a competition worth watching in terms of world class as opposed to the wrestling where athletes from the commonwealth wins bugger all medals.

The whole point of the Olympics is to spread the sports around so each continent has some sports they are good in. If they don't have appeal to around 100 countries around at least 4 of the 6 continents then they wont get in.

Judo only got in - in 1964 because of Tokyo hosting and it was big in Asia. Taekwondo is only in the Olympics because its predominately an Asian sport the Seoul Olympics and the dodgy IOC vice president and ex Korean CIA operative Mickey Kim got the version of Taekwondo was president of the International Federation. Beach Volleyball only came in for TV and Golf came in because of the $$$ associated with the sport.

I have no real idea about what is going in handball around the world but every 4 years I enjoy watching the sport. Same with volleyball. Nobody equally likes 26 sports over 39 disciplines and the same all round the world.

The Comm Games suffers from lack of depth in many sports. I don't see it as some world games - but in the odd event it is world class and half the field are the best few in the world. Rugby 7's is dominated by Commonwealth countries. Only the French aren't there of who would likely win a gold medal in Rio. So its a competition worth watching in terms of world class as opposed to the wrestling where athletes from the commonwealth wins bugger all medals.
Netballs probably another one that would be the best of the best at the commonwealth games as well.

For Hockey, comm games is probably close to 50% of a world cup/Olympics in terms of competitiveness....Germany and Netherlands are missing, and to a lesser degree, Spain and Argentina, but they have Aus, NZ, ENG (+India).

Watching the thrashings of the lower ranked teams shows just how quickly the standard drops off however.

For Hockey, comm games is probably close to 50% of a world cup/Olympics in terms of competitiveness....Germany and Netherlands are missing, and to a lesser degree, Spain and Argentina, but they have Aus, NZ, ENG (+India).

Watching the thrashings of the lower ranked teams shows just how quickly the standard drops off however.
To be fair, the Kookaburras thrashed everybody at the World Cup as well.

Here they're playing with them, and they dropped Jamie Dwyer to give tournament experience to a kid on the theory that by the time the next big tournament comes around (Olympics), he might be past it.

Spot on. Absolutely dismantled the Dutch in the final, and cruised through the rest of it.

They opened at $1.30 to win the comm games btw. Ridiculous considering that (if my memory serves correct) we've won every com games gold medal since the sport was inducted in 1998, played 25 matches with only 1 loss (to South Africa) and scored an incredible 125 goals.

But yet, no media coverage. Understand the sport is still amateur, but bloody hell, the most successful aus sporting team in history? Give us some more footage!

Spot on. Absolutely dismantled the Dutch in the final, and cruised through the rest of it.

They opened at $1.30 to win the comm games btw. Ridiculous considering that (if my memory serves correct) we've won every com games gold medal since the sport was inducted in 1998, played 25 matches with only 1 loss (to South Africa) and scored an incredible 125 goals.

But yet, no media coverage. Understand the sport is still amateur, but bloody hell, the most successful aus sporting team in history? Give us some more footage!

It's actually pro (at the top levels anyway). Dutch have been for a while and the Indian set up an IPL style league recently.

It's actually pro (at the top levels anyway). Dutch have been for a while and the Indian set up an IPL style league recently.
IPL was overdue, it's the national sport next to cricket. We'll never be able to provide the market over here to accommodate a national competition with a decent wage structure. But the local Victorian comp has a few clubs who will pay a decent enough player.

Europe is pro, sensational competition (EHL) which gets huge coverage over there. I'm actually headed over to Holland this summer to play :) which I'm very much looking forward to.

They recently cut the AIS funding, VIS funding for the sport too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back