Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

We left 10 minutes n to the second half. The heat was unbearable and we were in the shade :eek:

Letter from the CEO

Dear *******,

Apart from everyone's obvious disappointment with the

score line today I just want to acknowledge the

oppressive conditions most of you had to endure

throughout the afternoon.

While we can’t do anything about the weather, I intend to

continue to take up the issue of early season day games

with the NRL in an attempt to ensure this is not allowed

to happen again.

With approximately 50% of all seats in direct sunlight for

the entire afternoon it is clearly not fair to members or

casual fans.

If this had been a night game everyone on the eastern

side would have had a tremendous view in some of the

best seats in the house.

Thankfully most of our remaining home games are in the

twilight or evening so todays conditions should not be

experienced again, but I will do everything possible to

prevent the same thing from re-occurring next season.

On behalf of the Club I apologise to all members and

thank you for your ongoing support of the team.

Graham Annesley

CEO

Gold Coast Titans

It looked pretty bad SUNS. The Titans have two more Sunday arvo games this season in June/July so it should be considerably cooler then. I guess an interesting talking point is how much of a factor is the weather when it comes to attendances on the Gold Coast? We know both North Melbourne and Brisbane games last year were seriously affected by torrential rain but it appears it goes both ways with the heat as well. Obviously you can't accurately predict rain or extreme heat but you can take measures to best avoid it. For example, playing a Sunday afternoon game on the Gold Coast in the middle of March is not a good idea. It's probably worth analysing each games on the Gold Coast in 2014 to get a good idea of which games may be affected by weather.

March
Saturday, 15 March, 6:40pm - Suns v Tigers
Sunday, 16 March, 2:00pm - Titans v Tigers
Monday, 31 March, 6:30pm - Titans v Cowboys

April
Saturday, 5 April, 3:40pm - Suns v Lions
Friday, 11 April, 7:40pm - Titans v Broncos
Saturday, 12 April, 7:40pm - Suns v Hawks
Saturday, 26 April, 1:40pm - Suns v Giants

May
Saturday, 10 May, 5:30pm - Titans v Rabbitohs
Saturday, 24 May, 5:30pm - Titans v Warriors
Sunday, 25 May, 3:20pm - Suns v Bulldogs

June
Saturday, 7 June, 5:30pm - Titans v Panthers
Sunday, 8 June, 3:20pm - Suns v Swans
Monday, 16 June, 7:00pm - Titans v Storm
Saturday, 21 June, 4:40pm - Suns v Cats
Sunday, 22 June, 3:00pm - Titans v Dragons

July
Saturday, 5 July, 4:40pm - Suns v Magpies
Sunday, 13 July, 2:00pm - Titans v Raiders
Saturday, 26 July, 5:30pm - Titans v Eels

August
Saturday, 2 August, 7:40pm - Suns v Saints
TBA, 15-18 August, TBA - Titans v Sea Eagles
Saturday, 16 August, 2:10pm - Suns v Power
TBA, 29-31 August, TBA - Suns v Eagles

September
TBA, 5-8 September, TBA - Titans v Bulldogs

March
Mean max temp: 27.7°C
Mean min temp: 20.7°C
Mean rainfall: 107.7mm
Mean no. of days with rain: 10.4
Mean 9am temp: 24.8°C
Mean 9am humidity: 71%
Mean 3pm temp: 25.8°C
Mean 3pm humidity: 68%

March is often quite warm (third warmest month of the year) but also experiences rain once every three days on average, the highest of all months through the year. The humidity is also the highest in March of all the months through the year. Best bet is to schedule night games in March and hope you have picked one of the 66% days that doesn't experience rain. This will mean dewy conditions on the grass due to the humidity during the day but it's better than the heat in the afternoon. As you can see, the NRL have clearly made a mistake scheduling a game at 2pm in mid-March while the Suns have scheduled their only March game at the perfect time, 6:40pm. The Titans' second March game has been scheduled for a 6:30pm start which is much better but, being on a Monday, it will struggle to pull a good crowd.

April
Mean max temp: 25.7°C
Mean min temp: 18.3°C
Mean rainfall: 123.3mm
Mean no. of days with rain: 9.2
Mean 9am temp: 22.7°C
Mean 9am humidity: 68%
Mean 3pm temp: 24.1°C
Mean 3pm humidity: 65%

April begins to cool with an average max temp of 25.7 and also rains few days (9.2) but does experience more total rain (123.3mm), the third highest of all months. The humidity also drops 3-4% in April which probably makes twilight games an attractive option for scheduling. The first Suns game in April is scheduled for a 3:40pm start which is probably a little too early for my liking but it's only scheduled that way because of daylight savings. The Titans first home game in April is scheduled for a Friday night which is sure to be a big crowd, especially being against the Brisbane Broncos. The Suns' second home game in April is scheduled for a 7:40pm on a Saturday night against the defending premiers Hawthorn so it's fair to say that game will also pull a big crowd. Both the Broncos and Hawthorn games will be played in dewy conditions but not as dewy as games played March. The third Suns' home game in April is scheduled for a 1:40pm start on a Saturday which I think will pull a poor crowd due to conditions and poor drawing opposition.

May
Mean max temp: 23.4°C
Mean min temp: 15.3°C
Mean rainfall: 119.8mm
Mean no. of days with rain: 9.0
Mean 9am temp: 19.8°C
Mean 9am humidity: 68%
Mean 3pm temp: 22.0°C
Mean 3pm humidity: 62%

May is considerably cooler than the two months that precede it and also experiences less rain with less days of rain. With an average 3pm temperature of 22 and humidity at 62%, May would be the ideal time to start playing early afternoon games. The two Titans' games scheduled in May are due to start at 5:30pm on a Saturday which is virtually the perfect time to start. The only Suns' game scheduled in May will be held at 3:20pm on a Sunday which is probably ideal for a Sunday game.

June
Mean max temp: 21.3°C
Mean min temp: 13.1°C
Mean rainfall: 110.7mm
Mean no. of days with rain: 6.9
Mean 9am temp: 17.1°C
Mean 9am humidity: 69%
Mean 3pm temp: 20.1°C
Mean 3pm humidity: 58%

June is third coldest month of the year (average min 13.1) but also experiences considerably less rain and days of rain than earlier months. It is probably the month in which you start to think about avoiding night games because it may be too cold to appeal to the masses. The first Titans' game in June will be held at 5:30pm on a Saturday which is an ideal time slot for the conditions. The first Suns' game in June is going to be held on a Sunday at 3:20pm which is also ideal considering it is a Sunday game. The second Titans' game in June will be held at 7pm on Monday which is risky considering it could be cold and Monday night games rarely draw big crowds. The second Suns' game in June will be held at 4:40pm on a Saturday which is ideal. The third Titans' game in June will be held at 3pm on a Sunday which is also ideal.

July
Mean max temp: 21.1°C
Mean min temp: 12.0°C
Mean rainfall: 44.9mm
Mean no. of days with rain: 4.6
Mean 9am temp: 16.5°C
Mean 9am humidity: 65%
Mean 3pm temp: 19.7°C
Mean 3pm humidity: 55%

July is the coldest month of the year (average min 12) but drastically drops off in the rain department. Avoiding night games in July would be a good idea considering it is the coldest month of the year. The only Suns' game to be held in July is on a Saturday at 4:40pm against Collingwood which will definitely pull a big crowd. The two Titans' games in July are also scheduled for early afternoon/twilight time slots so both codes have it right in July.

August
Mean max temp: 21.8°C
Mean min temp: 12.5°C
Mean rainfall: 63.3mm
Mean no. of days with rain: 4.8
Mean 9am temp: 17.7°C
Mean 9am humidity: 61%
Mean 3pm temp: 20.3°C
Mean 3pm humidity: 56%

August is slightly warmer than July but overall pretty similar conditions being the second coldest month of the year and experiencing very little rain. Once again, avoiding night games would be preferred in August. The first Suns' game to be held in August will be against the Saints at 7:40pm on a Saturday night. Not really ideal and I'd expect a low crowd for that game, unless the team is pushing for a finals spot. The second Suns' game in August will be held at 2:10pm on a Saturday which is deal. The rest of the August/September games are yet to be assigned a time slot.

So there you go. An idea of how to best schedule sports events on the Gold Coast.

Last edited:

Matchu Watching "On the couch" tonight, and Piggy Dunstall said the break even per game at Metricon is 7000. I thought it would be higher than that. The club will start making some good $$$ on game day as our averages continue to head towards 20k.
Wow, I thought it would have been higher too. You really have to give it up to the AFL for brokering this stadium deal with a state government that is notorious for cutting bad stadium deals. From memory, a crowd of 18,000 gives the club $600,000 profit so you can just imagine how much money they made on the Richmond game with a crowd of 19.4k. I do wonder if it'll ever get to the point over the next 2-3 years where it is obvious that Metricon requires a permanent upgrade as a part of the Commonwealth Games redevelopment.

Did Dunstall say anything else about Metricon?

Wow, I thought it would have been higher too. You really have to give it up to the AFL for brokering this stadium deal with a state government that is notorious for cutting bad stadium deals. From memory, a crowd of 18,000 gives the club $600,000 profit so you can just imagine how much money they made on the Richmond game with a crowd of 19.4k. I do wonder if it'll ever get to the point over the next 2-3 years where it is obvious that Metricon requires a permanent upgrade as a part of the Commonwealth Games redevelopment.

Did Dunstall say anything else about Metricon?
we could only hope sir.

Matchu Watching "On the couch" tonight, and Piggy Dunstall said the break even per game at Metricon is 7000. I thought it would be higher than that. The club will start making some good $$$ on game day as our averages continue to head towards 20k.

I thought he said that as well. But then i re-watched it and he was actually talking about GWS home ground Spotless Stadium not Metricon stadium

I thought he said that as well. But then i re-watched it and he was actually talking about GWS home ground Spotless Stadium not Metricon stadium
Is it possible he was talking about both Spotless and Metricon? I haven't seen the footage.

Is it possible he was talking about both Spotless and Metricon? I haven't seen the footage.
Can I just interject how awesome is to play out of a place called Metricon Stadium rather than something like Spotless Stadium, 1300Smiles Stadium or God forbid CBUS Super Stadium?

We're very lucky to have Metricon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can I just interject how awesome is to play out of a place called Metricon Stadium rather than something like Spotless Stadium, 1300Smiles Stadium or God forbid CBUS Super Stadium?

maxiafter.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very fortunate. Hopefully their next sponsor (to be announced at the end of next year) will have an awesome name as well.

Just looking at the weather forecast over the next week and a half and it looks like it could be a bit rough for both the next Suns and Titans games. The next Titans game is scheduled for this coming Monday night and the forecast says when the game starts it'll still be in the mid-20s, humid, cloudy and raining. Almost certain to turn away fans if the weather forecast is correct.

The next home game for the Suns is a twilight fixture at 3:40pm. It is predicted to have intervals of clouds and sunshine with a few showers late in the afternoon. It is supposed to be a bit cooler as well with the temperature predicted in the low 20s during the day. As long as the rain holds off until the game starts, then the crowd shouldn't be affected. It is also predicted to be quite windy with a southerly gust. Given the northern end of the ground is open, it'll be pretty hard for the guys to kick long goals up the river end. Winning the toss and electing to go north in the first quarter could be crucial in this game given the team going north in the first quarter won't have to deal with the strong wind in the fourth quarter.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the crowd number for the Titans home game tonight? The same fixture (vs NQ Cowboys) last year pulled 12,790.

I'm going to guess 11k.

Live just around the corner from Skilled CBus Stadium, that entire flood plain area was under a meter of water late last week, guessing the snake has looked for some higher ground!

Live just around the corner from Skilled CBus Stadium, that entire flood plain area was under a meter of water late last week, guessing the snake has looked for some higher ground!
Metricon Stadium is surrounded by flood plain as well...

Titans season average now stands at 10,760.

crowd is 9482. Would have thought Monday is a low drawing crowd for Qlders? Is it a prime time slot for NRL?

That's actually the lowest crowd they've ever pulled in their 8 year existence. I suppose they were just thinking two QLD teams would pull a decent crowd regardless of when it was played. To the best of my knowledge, Monday night is not a prime time slot.

I seriously hope Titans fans aren't as nasty as some people if the rolls are ever reversed.
Who is being nasty? I don't think anything I've said has been out of line...

I can safely say that anything that has been posted in this thread is not even 1/10th of what Titans fans used to dish out in the lead up to the Suns entering the AFL.

Titans season average now stands at 10,760.

That's actually the lowest crowd they've ever pulled in their 8 year existence. I suppose they were just thinking two QLD teams would pull a decent crowd regardless of when it was played. To the best of my knowledge, Monday night is not a prime time slot.

Who is being nasty? I don't think anything I've said has been out of line...

I can safely say that anything that has been posted in this thread is not even 1/10th of what Titans fans used to dish out in the lead up to the Suns entering the AFL.

Spot on, add Searle to Palmer combined with the standard AF hating RL and soccer fans and i would say that anything dished up here is quite measured and fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back