Sim Consistent abbreviations for team names

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi.

How are you.

I'm fine.

So that career and historical stats can be procured with less propensity for error, and of course to reduce the manual editing so that its more automatic, its important that we settle upon consistent abbreviations for team names.

These abbreviations will be used in future simming so that the reports spat out can be picked up by the AllStats function and hence we can avoid reports missing data or requiring manual editing.

Clearly a lot are simple, taking care of themselves. Past clubs are generally all ok.

But here are some examples of inconsistency (often my own doing, and nobody's fault as no-ones ever been directed to enter data according to rules like this before):

Mt Buller Demons: DEMONS, DEM, MBD
East Side Hawks: HAWKS, ESH
Southern Dragons: DRAGONS, SHAGONS
West Coast Wonders: WONDERS, WCW
Roys: ROYS, ROYSFC, THEROYS

We need consistent abbreviations. We can start these from Season 14, and I'll manually edit the historical files for seasons up until that point.

When an Admin (eg, this year: Boncer34) enters team names, he has to enter each one twice - a full name, and an 8-letter-max abbreviation. The full name is cosmetic, the abbreviation is crucial.

I've discovered that an abbreviation less than 3 letters seems to stuff the reporting up (that's what I think has done it, Bonce). So GG (for Gumbies) has mucked stuff up. No-one's fault, well maybe mine, as I should have been more proactive in a) fixing the error and b) recommending this not be done.

Anyway, here's an example of abbreviations I'd suggest. Remember, they also can't have the same first three letters as any other team's abbreviation.

BOMBERS (becomes BOM when AllStats kicks in)
HAWKS (HAW)
GUMBIES (GUM)
DEMONS (DEM)
ROYSFC (ROY)
WONDERS (WON)
FURIES (FUR)
SDRAGONS (SDR)

The reason for using "SDRAGONS" and not just "DRAGONS" is because a) there was another, earlier team called Bigfooty Dragons (DRAGONS (DRA)) once and b) The current Southern Dragons are a merger of the Southern Sharks (SHARKS (SHA)) and the second instance of the Dragons (DRAGONS (DRA)). My opinion is that the merger point would mean the creation of a new club, but that's up to consensus.

As you can see, even calling them SDRAGONS still leaves muckup between the first Bigfooty Dragons and the second Dragons (prior merger).

West Coast Wonders and Seventh Wonders are both called WONDERS (WON) as they are the same club.

in Season 01, Team Pump's data will still be relabelled as DEMONS (DEM) as they were the same team as what is now Mt Buller.

As you can see there's some work to be done, and some confusion to work out.

If we can do this, it will make those "head to head" records a lot simpler.

I hope you guys can assist with your opinions.

Cheers,

I hope this finds you well.

All the best.

Love from me.

**** Mobbs, that's gonna suck. I rememebr just having to manually change one team's around for one season (CDT, CEN) and that took me forever.

Is there any way you can Ctrl F and then replace with the approprriare abbreviation across file names found? Dunno if that'd work because you'd also need to change the team names in the stats files I presume.

Search/replace is helpful but imperfect (imagine player names like BRESH when changing ESH to HAWKS) ... but I'll try to write a program as an ad-hoc.

I did it for a prog to remove the dreamteam scores from the posted stats to return them to original scoresheets.
Can't you just do hat you do with multiple variations of the same player name?

I don't understand that one. I can do replace ESH with HAWKS and then follow up with replace BRHAWKS with BRESH, I suppose, but then I'd have to identify each issue first./

Anyways a program will be billions times easier as it can create a list of all the files, then go through them all.

Oh, you mean, can't I program a search/replace of name variations? Yes, that's what I did do. In AllStats, you just use the "(N) - Edit Player Name Changes" ... then you only have to enter the changes once each, and it will always remember them.

Team Name Changes don't work as well because there are various multiple places they kick in. Plus its easier to coerce consistency on team names than it is for player names.

I don't understand that one. I can do replace ESH with HAWKS and then follow up with replace BRHAWKS with BRESH, I suppose, but then I'd have to identify each issue first./

Anyways a program will be billions times easier as it can create a list of all the files, then go through them all.

Oh, you mean, can't I program a search/replace of name variations? Yes, that's what I did do. In AllStats, you just use the "(N) - Edit Player Name Changes" ... then you only have to enter the changes once each, and it will always remember them.

Team Name Changes don't work as well because there are various multiple places they kick in. Plus its easier to coerce consistency on team names than it is for player names.

Either way, next season I'm sure the simmer will stick with whatever abbreviations you see most fitting.

Here's the list I'd like to go with.

ALL ALLSTARS AFL Allstars
BDR BDRAGONS Bigfooty Dragons (01/02)
BEA BEARS Las Vegas
BOM BOMBERS Bombers
BRO BROTHERS Blues Brothers
DEM DEMONS Mt Buller / Team Pump
DIN DINGOES Dingoes
DOC DOCKERS Fremantle Dockers
DRA DRAGONS Dragons 05-07
FUR FURIES Fighting Furies
GUM GUMBIES Gumbies
HAW HAWKS Hawks
HUR HURRICAN Hurricanes
JUN JUNKYARD Junkyard Dogs / Pagan Ducks
KOA KOALAS Koalas
MOD MODSQUAD Mod Squad
RAZ RAZORS Razors
ROY ROYSFC Roys FC
SDR SDRAGONS Southern Dragons
SHA SHADOWS Darkness Eternal
SOU SOUTHERN Southern Sharks
SWA SWAMPRAT Alberton Swamprats
TIM TIMMY Team Timmy
TIT TITANS Kourn/Titans
WCM WCMAGIC West Coast Magic
WON WONDERS Wonders (seventh/West Coast)'

These are pretty much notes to myself basically.

Have confirmed that every instance of the team name in the scoresheet comes from the abbreviation.

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]WONDERS[/COLOR] SENIORS Vs [COLOR="red"]ROYSFC[/COLOR] SENIORS
[COLOR="red"]WONDERS[/COLOR]           3    6        6    7        10   7        16   9    105      
[COLOR="red"]ROYSFC[/COLOR]            1    3        4    7        8    11       10   12   72       
[COLOR="red"]WONDERS[/COLOR]    HO  K  M  H  T  FF FA G  B   Dt  [COLOR="red"]ROYSFC[/COLOR]      HO  K  M  H  T  FF FA G  B   Dt
Frothies M  0  2  2  3  0  0  0  0  0   18  don vito o   0  2  0  1  0  0  0  1  0   14

All the red bits are repeats of the 8-letter max abbreviation.

Then there's the filename, in this case WONROY13.04S
The WON & the ROY are the first 3 letters of the above abbreviations "WONDERS" & "ROYSFC". They are not taken from the first three letters of the "cosmetic" full teams names.

The full name for each team might have been "ROYS FC" & "WEST COAST WONDERS" but those are purely cosmetic. They appear in such places as the ladder display, but are not in any use at all, in the stats page.

They are not taken from the first three letters of the "cosmetic" full teams names.

Ah... are you sure? Because I ended up with both CDI and CEN for the Central District Falcons. they would've been taken from the abbreviations CEN and CDIST?
Ok so if your team data was:
Full Name "Central District"
Abbrev Name "CDIST"

Then the 3-letter abbreviation should be CDI

If your team data was :
Full Name "Central District"
Abbrev Name "CENTRAL"

Then the 3-letter abbreviation should be CEN

That's what the program is telling me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are pretty much notes to myself basically.

Have confirmed that every instance of the team name in the scoresheet comes from the abbreviation.

Code:
[COLOR=red]WONDERS[/COLOR] SENIORS Vs [COLOR=red]ROYSFC[/COLOR] SENIORS
[COLOR=red]WONDERS[/COLOR]           3    6        6    7        10   7        16   9    105      
[COLOR=red]ROYSFC[/COLOR]            1    3        4    7        8    11       10   12   72       
[COLOR=red]WONDERS[/COLOR]    HO  K  M  H  T  FF FA G  B   Dt  [COLOR=red]ROYSFC[/COLOR]      HO  K  M  H  T  FF FA G  B   Dt
Frothies M  0  2  2  3  0  0  0  0  0   18  don vito o   0  2  0  1  0  0  0  1  0   14

All the red bits are repeats of the 8-letter max abbreviation.

Then there's the filename, in this case WONROY13.04S
The WON & the ROY are the first 3 letters of the above abbreviations "WONDERS" & "ROYSFC". They are not taken from the first three letters of the "cosmetic" full teams names.

The full name for each team might have been "ROYS FC" & "WEST COAST WONDERS" but those are purely cosmetic. They appear in such places as the ladder display, but are not in any use at all, in the stats page.

Not my best game :p

I remember Tarks had issues with team names changing and so forth (and I sure do), we'd discussed it and he were saying it'd be a huge job to fix them.

I'm currently working on an in-program editor. What it will do is show you all the existing sets, eg :

HAW,HAWKS,HAWKS
ESH,EASTSIDE,EASTSIDE
ESH,HAWKS,HAWKS

and similar.

You'll be able to select one of these "header tag" sets and tell the program to change each game that completely matches this, to a user-entered replacement.

It would then take a re-run of the AllStats collation process (yes it's a time-consuming one), but then should bring things into line.

Will keep yers posted here.

Currently:
Option to go to a calibration/uniform tags screen
Lists all unique tag sets
Can choose one and see list of game files that satisfies the query.
+--- (at this point you can manually edit them if need be, and then exit this system)
Can choose to enter an editing screen.
Enter new data.
The files get changed/updated.
Asked whether to re-collate straight away.
Return to main Allstats screen or go straight into re-collate.

Here is the current spread of "header tags" :

ALL,ALLSTARS,ALLSTARS
BEA,BEARS,BEARS
BLU,BLUES,BLUES
BOM,BOM,BOM
BOM,BOMBERS,BOMBERS
DAR,DARKNESS,DARKNESS
DEM,DEMONS,DEMONS
DIN,DINGOS,DINGOS
DOC,DOCKERS,DOCKERS
DRA,DRAGONS,DRAGONS
DRA,SHAGONS,SHAGONS
FUR,FUR,FUR
FUR,FURIES,FURIES
GUM,GUM,GUM
GUM,GUMBIES,GUMBIES
HAW,ESH,ESH
HAW,HAWKS,HAWKS
HUR,HURRICAN,HURRICAN
HUR,HURRICS,HURRICS
JDO,JDOG,JDOG
JUN,JUNKYARD,JUNKYARD
JYD,JYD,JYD
KOA,KOALAS,KOALAS
KOU,KOURNIKO,KOURNIKO
MBD,MBD,MBD
MDB,MBD,MBD
MOD,MODSQUAD,MODSQUAD
PAG,PAGAN,PAGAN
PUM,DEMONS,DEMONS
PUM,PUMP,PUMP
RAZ,RAZORS,RAZORS
ROY,ROY,ROY
ROY,ROYS,ROYS
ROY,ROYSFC,ROYSFC
ROY,THEROYS,THEROYS
SDR,SDR,SDR
SDR,SDRAGONS,SDRAGONS
SHA,SHARKS,SHARKS
SWA,SWAMPIES,SWAMPIES
SWA,SWAMPRAT,SWAMPRAT
TIM,TIMMY,TIMMY
TIT,TITANS,TITANS
WCM,WCM,WCM
WCW,WON,WON
WON,7THWONDR,7THWONDR
WON,WONDERS,SDR
WON,WONDERS,WONDERS

Some complete muckups there eg the second last one.

Yeah it's gonna be. SHAGONS conflicts with SHARKS anyway, stuffs up the head-to-head reporting.

BDRAGONS - earlier S01/S02 Bigfooty Dragons
DRAGONS - S05-S07 Dragons
SHARKS - S07 Sharks
SDRAGONS - S08--> Southern Dragons

Then I just need to add functionality to treat multiple references as same club if choosing to, so you can see all Southern Dragons details (S08-S13), or all Dragons thru Southern Dragons details (S05-S13) in case that becomes necessary.

For future reference, the following are the abbreviations for Season 16 and 17:
Baghdad Bombers (BOM)
Mt Buller Demons (DEM)
Fighting Furies (FUR)
Gold City Royals (GCR)
Geelong Gumbies (GUM)
East Side Hawks (HAW)
Roys FFC (ROY)
Southern Dragons (SDR)
Alberton Swamprats (SWA)
West Coast Wonders (WON)

For future reference, the following are the abbreviations for Season 16 and 17:
Baghdad Bombers (BOM)
Mt Buller Demons (DEM)
Fighting Furies (FUR)
Gold City Royals (GCR)
Geelong Gumbies (GUM)
East Side Hawks (HAW)
Roys FFC (ROY)
Southern Dragons (SDR)
Alberton Swamprats (SWA)
West Coast Wonders (WON)
Further to this, I guess it took one season for it all to go completely pearshaped.

Current teams are currently being treated as follows :
DEMONS
WONDERS
FURIES
ROYSFC, ROYS, THEROYS
BOMBERS
GUMBIES
SWAMPRAT, ASWAMP
HAWKS
SDRAGONS, SDR
GCROYALS, ROYALS

To reiterate, it's too late for right now, but in future, can we please have teams entered as follows :
DEMONS
WONDERS
FURIES
ROYSFC
BOMBERS
GUMBIES
SWAMPRAT
HAWKS
SDRAGONS
GCROYALS

The Sim will automatically choose the 3-letter abbreviations from these, hence :
DEM
WON
FUR
ROY
BOM
GUM
SWA
HAW
SDR
GCR

Once more, please note that, if these consistent abbreviations are not observed, statistical data will be corrupt and unusable.

Once more, please note that, if these consistent abbreviations are not observed, statistical data will be corrupt and unusable.
Wait, what did I do wrong? I think this season I put in the names as just ROYS rather than ROYSFC but should that matter?

Or is this in relation to the first round of last season?

Wait, what did I do wrong? I think this season I put in the names as just ROYS rather than ROYSFC but should that matter?

Or is this in relation to the first round of last season?
one single consistent ... inconsistency like ROYS for ROYSFC can be fixed comparatively easily. I think it was Round 1 that did most of the damage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back