Currie
McDonald (?)
Dumont
Harvey
Firrito
Grima
Jacobs
Turner (?)

Many fringe players could be saved this year by expected retirements. If you had to bet on four delistings you would suggest Petrie and Firrito may be going into their last seasons.

It's hard to pick two more: Jacobs, McKenzie, Daw, Harper, McMahon & Tarrant all on the shortlist for the cut. Currie stays as insurance until our '14 ruck draftees develop.

Probably the best bottom four we've had since 99/2000.

Surely first year players wouldn't be on somewhere between 60 and 200,000. Isn't the wage of the first contract for draftees only like 50,000, and rookies even less?

First year players is $71,515 for first round, $65,000 second round and $61,610 for 3rd and below for 2015. Then there are match payments of $3,500 and bonuses for playing a certain amount of games. Luke Mcdonald, playing 20 games in the regular season as a first round draft pick would have picked up $147,225 min last year.

Rookies in 2015 will get $55,400 with no guaranteed match payments.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CBA-2012-2016-FINAL.pdf

Minimum terms are p63 onwards.

Many fringe players could be saved this year by expected retirements. If you had to bet on four delistings you would suggest Petrie and Firrito may be going into their last seasons.

It's hard to pick two more: Jacobs, McKenzie, Daw, Harper, McMahon & Tarrant all on the shortlist for the cut. Currie stays as insurance until our '14 ruck draftees develop.

Probably the best bottom four we've had since 99/2000.

Grima probably in his last year as well.

Grima probably in his last year as well.

Absolutely, an oversight on my side.

So potentially, or probably, 3 retirements.

We may only need to delist one player, if we snag an FA or two again which is likely with our expected finishing position and someone like Nahas earns a senior spot again we may be happy to drop a couple.

Seeing 5 years of quality list management coming together now.

It's an interesting one.
Are they worried about go home factor or do they think they're getting him on the cheap for a third year.

The go-home maybe? He looks like a long-term kind of guy to me rather than an instant impacter, so maybe the idea is sew him up long enough that he doesn't get sick of not playing seniors and ask for a trade.

Reminds me a bit of Carlisle actually.
I've seen some of him in the game sense training the team have done recently. He's got smarts too. Very competent with ball in hand, no rushing, makes good decisions.

I've seen some of him in the game sense training the team have done recently. He's got smarts too. Very competent with ball in hand, no rushing, makes good decisions.

He really divides opinion. Some think he's an elite talent, others think he's hopeless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really divides opinion. Some think he's an elite talent, others think he's hopeless.
Well, from my limited viewing he looks like as a tall he isn't one to utilise physicality for his marking, moreso movement and reading of the ball. Maybe that has got something to do with it? He seems really good in close for a big guy too. I don't ever see him as the spectacular, exciting type tall, moreso a Barry Stoneham type. Just a good footballer who can do it all really well.

As for physical development, he is a fair bit broader than Hansen though and should be pretty damn strong in a few years.

Well, from my limited viewing he looks like as a tall he isn't one to utilise physicality for his marking, moreso movement and reading of the ball. Maybe that has got something to do with it? He seems really good in close for a big guy too. I don't ever see him as the spectacular, exciting type tall, moreso a Barry Stoneham type. Just a good footballer who can do it all really well.

As for physical development, he is a fair bit broader than Hansen though and should be pretty damn strong in a few years.
Well, compared to the other, more mature, KPPs on the list he can't use physicality I suppose, but yeah I agree his style seems more timing and movement, along with reaching the ball at its highest point (well, not literally, but you know...).

Barry Stoneham? There's a name I haven't heard of for a fair while. I'd be interested to see how he goes when his body matures a bit and he can be a bit more physical. It is that, or a mental thing? (Insert: obligatory reference to Sugar Kayne.)

Well, compared to the other, more mature, KPPs on the list he can't use physicality I suppose, but yeah I agree his style seems more timing and movement, along with reaching the ball at its highest point (well, not literally, but you know...).

Barry Stoneham? There's a name I haven't heard of for a fair while. I'd be interested to see how he goes when his body matures a bit and he can be a bit more physical. It is that, or a mental thing? (Insert: obligatory reference to Sugar Kayne.)
Dunno if it is mental or not, perhaps just how he approaches the ball. I don't think there is an issue with that in his defensive application (by all accounts he goes hard).

Stoneham was a tough bugger. Hard defensively, hit blokes when he could, but was also very good in attack using his mobility, height and strength well. If Durdin ends up close to Stoneham in ability I will be chuffed. Bazza had his career derailed by a pretty bad leg break but was tracking as one of the best talls in the comp before that.

On the subject of list management, conceivably in 2 years time we could see Boomer, Petrie, NDS, Waite retire, with Wells also at age 32.

That would be a massive hit to the team on the one hand, but on the bright side it would also free up a massive amount of cash

On the subject of list management, conceivably in 2 years time we could see Boomer, Petrie, NDS, Waite retire, with Wells also at age 32.

That would be a massive hit to the team on the one hand, but on the bright side it would also free up a massive amount of cash
They will all likely go in a big ******* hit so we really do need for the next tier to show that they are capable of becoming quality AFL players and why I am very keen to see Atley and McDonald more involved in the midfield rotations. I think our back end looks solid enough and our front end has options that have shown signs, but that midfield will need to add some elite talent.

That's a fairly terrifying prospect actually, especially Waite & Petrie.

If Petrie retires and Waite struggles with fitness we could genuinely be left with a key forward group of Brown, Black and Wood next season.

given that Petrie has categorically stated he IS NOT RETIRING any time soon maybe we can just get back to worrying about how he is going to play

I think Wells may play for longer as lets face it why wld you retire these days when the team is going well and players are paid so much

I love the way people talk about the fact that senior players like WAITE will likely retire in the coming years. He hasn't even played a game for the club FFS. And NDS has 1 season in the royal blue and white. I see him as a bonus, but the 3 players who the club has rebuilt around are Boomer, Petrie and Wells and the younger guys have developed alongside these 3 knowing that they will be the lynchpins. Still, I think our transition will be fine and won't happen in one big rush. Petrie has stated he wants at least 2 more years, Wellsy has some unfinished business I reckon and as long as he can return to full fitness should go another 3 years. And Boomer is an unknown. The next level of Spitta, Goldy, Cunners, JZ, LT, Thompson, and Lachie are a safe bet in driving the club for the next 5 years, supported by the foot soldiers like Gibbo, JMac, and hopefully Sammy Wright. In my book, it comes down to whether our next generations become the game breakers that Boomer, Wellsy, and Dish have been. I reckon the likely candidates are Ats, LMac, and Black and they should move quickly into that group. Then we need at least half of our impressive bunch of kids (Brown, Turner, Garner, Wood, Dumont, Durdin) can become serious North players. Harper, BMac, and Daw would be huge bonuses because of their pure talent, and if nostradamus told me that at least one of them will become a North champion in the future, I will do cartwheels around the Arden Street oval. And remember we are the free agency professionals, so who knows who might be brought on board in the coming 2 or 3 years to help that transition. So while I don't see us falling off the perch, one thing for sure, it's going to be bloody sad to see those 3 hang up the boots, whenever it happens.

Free agent professionals probably pushes it for me but I feel the vibe.
Hahaha, yes was just a little tongue-in-cheek with that, but there's no reason we won't pick up some other FA stars to Smooth things over. I actually think Freo will suffer more than us with the imminent retirements of Sandilands, Pavlich, and McPharlin.

Hahaha, yes was just a little tongue-in-cheek with that, but there's no reason we won't pick up some other FA stars to Smooth things over. I actually think Freo will suffer more than us with the imminent retirements of Sandilands, Pavlich, and McPharlin.
I hope so. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back