COP26 whats expected, whats delivered

Remove this Banner Ad

Coordinated transfer of wealth, manufacturing and therefore military capability from the Western democracies. Virtue signalling junket for the mega rich and political class.

This is the REAL emergency in the world today

Makes me sick to see the fraud going on in Glasgow when there are genuine humanitarian crises that are ignored.
So you support military intervention in afghanistan?

Coordinated transfer of wealth, manufacturing and therefore military capability from the Western democracies. Virtue signalling junket for the mega rich and political class.
other then australia and maybe canada/norway the developed countries massively benefit from a trade competitiveness angle if the world is forced to go green. europe and japan are massive fuel importers. usa used to be.

russia, brazil, india and chinas industry gets screwed over if the world goes green because they are all based off cheap fossil fuel exports (russia/brazil) or manufacturing powered from cheap coal based power (india and china).

going green will bring manufacturing back to the west. And reduce all the fossil fuel imports.

Blah, blah. blah, Greta can rant all she wants. Absolutely nothing will happen unless China are on board and they never will be...
have you not being paying attention to the news this past 18 months. China has adopted net zero, is phasing out petrol vehicles quicker then anyone and has banned investment of fossil fuel power overseas. the only problem that remains, and it is a biggie, is how quickly they can get rid of domestic coal power.

other then australia and maybe canada/norway the developed countries massively benefit from a trade competitiveness angle if the world is forced to go green. europe and japan are massive fuel importers. usa used to be.

russia, brazil, india and chinas industry gets screwed over if the world goes green because they are all based off cheap fossil fuel exports (russia/brazil) or manufacturing powered from cheap coal based power (india and china).

going green will bring manufacturing back to the west. And reduce all the fossil fuel imports.
The world isn't forced to go green. We do so voluntarily. The countries you list either never will go green, or they will wait until the technology has been nutted out for them.

The world isn't forced to go green. We do so voluntarily. The countries you list either never will go green, or they will wait until the technology has been nutted out for them.
Green border tariffs is how the world is forced to through trade. Europe and the usa are massively pushing for This. The worlds biggest comsumer market is still the west. The developing world wont be able to export to it if they dont go green due to green border tariffs.

Green border tariffs is how the world is forced to through trade. Europe and the usa are massively pushing for This. The worlds biggest comsumer market is still the west. The developing world wont be able to export to it if they dont go green due to green border tariffs.
Why didn't they then.

Why didn't they then.
They are trying to get green border tariffs accepted by the world trade organisation.

but even if they dont succeed thay are probably going to do it anyway. Especially if the us comes on board.

ironically trumps tariff program from 4 years ago against china, europe and commodities has shown that border tariffs can be politically acceptable without major blowback.

have you not being paying attention to the news this past 18 months. China has adopted net zero, is phasing out petrol vehicles quicker then anyone and has banned investment of fossil fuel power overseas. the only problem that remains, and it is a biggie, is how quickly they can get rid of domestic coal power.

The U.K. considers its 1st new coal mine in decades even as it calls to phase out coal

The U.K. considers its 1st new coal mine in decades even as it calls to phase out coal

now this is desperation:

The mining company, West Cumbria Mining, insists the new mine won't increase global CO2 emissions. The company argues that the mine — which would produce coking coal to make steel — is so close to European markets and will be so cost effective, it will drive competing American mines out of business and actually reduce U.S. coal production. Alexander Greaves, a lawyer for the company, said the project in West Cumbria will be "the first net-zero coking coal mine."

i gather it wont be approved. They have to claim it will be net zero and this logic wont fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This conference has turned into a massive failure.

they usually are but for some reason there was some hope about this one.

deflated.
It did acheive what most attendees wanted, they had some great parties, made a fortune in travel allowances and got to make vague promises they cant deliver. Greta's parents can start making money again as well after covid impacted on the relevance of Greta as an income stream.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It did acheive what most attendees wanted, they had some great parties, made a fortune in travel allowances and got to make vague promises they cant deliver. Greta's parents can start making money again as well after covid impacted on the relevance of Greta as an income stream.

As well as causing a spike in emissions from the 400 private jets coming and going over a short space of time.

Did having a big expensive party actually lead to the announcements or were they already happening?

I think there's a reasonable case that having global climate conferences puts pressure on countries to act. We can see the pressure on our government, for instance, has increased. Even though their targets are at this point largely imaginary rather than based on actual policies, they have still been reluctantly forced to commit to net zero and the conference has provided an impetus for further scrutiny of these policies. Whether they need to have an in person conference to do this is debatable, but I think there is a level of international diplomacy that is enhanced in person and high-quality internet alternatives have not been as widely accessible until more recently. There may be an opportunity to move further towards these alternatives in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back