News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are usually only mean on the internet but it is starting to spill over a bit.

I just got back from the shops and a lot of people seemed pissed off, but that was just because of the Christmas crowd.

Shopping on Christmas Eve is the pits at the best of times. I made sure i got the last of the things i needed yesterday, even then it was the pits.

surgical masks are better than cloth but N95 is the best.
Just make sure the ones you're buying fit your face properly, if you can breathe into it and there's air escaping then it wont protect you as much.
At the hospital its surgical around the buildings but N95 in the covid wards; obviously wear full PPE too.

Surgical mask is just a 3 ply cloth mask, it isn't considered respiratory protection. It will give you some very limited protection from any virus particles that hit the mask directly, but there is significant leakage around the edges, so when you inhale, you can breath in the particles.

An N95 is considered a respiratory protection mask, able to block 95% of airborne particles. Surgical mask is more for droplet protection. That is assuming the N95 is fitted properly, if it isn't then it's also semi-useless. You are also meant to dispose of them after exposure, if you reuse a mask over and over, like most people do, you may as well not bother.

Surgical mask is just a 3 ply cloth mask, it isn't considered respiratory protection. It will give you some very limited protection from any virus particles that hit the mask directly, but there is significant leakage around the edges, so when you inhale, you can breath in the particles.

An N95 is considered a respiratory protection mask, able to block 95% of airborne particles. Surgical mask is more for droplet protection. That is assuming the N95 is fitted properly, if it isn't then it's also semi-useless. You are also meant to dispose of them after exposure, if you reuse a mask over and over, like most people do, you may as well not bother.
yes I know

Lmao we are back at belittling pro-maskers again I see

Just relax brothers. The guy made a good point that you do your bit for society and it is not only literally statistically effective but also comforts people emotionally. Nothing wrong with making people feel a bit safer during a bloody pandemic.

Just relax brothers. The guy made a good point that you do your bit for society and it is not only literally statistically effective but also comforts people emotionally. Nothing wrong with making people feel a bit safer during a bloody pandemic.
6000 cases in NSW and one 90 year old died. If you don't feel safe already I don't know what to tell you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have recently wondered had social media been around during the blackouts in Melbourne during WW2, how many would have got on and discussed their rights to have their lights on at night time and not black out their windows?

Last edited:
I just nipped up to Dan Murphy’s to get the most important supplies, there’s only Dans and a supermarket but it was mental.

lol I opted for the $15 dan's 2hr delivery (more like 5hrs this time of year).

Can’t lie. Can never be trusted again because of it. Lied about his connection to the lab too.

Lot of misinformation out there mate, no doubt. Just don't understand why you got so worked up about a largely inoffensive tweet. s**t more in the world to be upset over mate. Especially on Twitter of all places.

People are usually only mean on the internet but it is starting to spill over a bit.

I just got back from the shops and a lot of people seemed pissed off, but that was just because of the Christmas crowd.
So true. Happy to avoid shops pre Easter/Xmas if I can. It's like a bizarre gladiator event. Turns the meek into ferocious campaigners.

They aren't mandated in NSW anymore.

The point of mask wearing isn't to stop you getting infected. Its to stop you infecting other people. That was made really clear back in the middle of last year (in 2020). Its why surgical and 3 ply cloth masks were recommended. So if you're infected in public you aren't passing on the virus. They aren't sposed to protect you from the environment. Surgical masks were designed to protect patients from surgeons during surgical procedures where the patient might be exposed to infection if the surgeon coughed or sneezed or breated infected material onto an open surgical (or other traumatic) wound.

If they wanted people protected from the environment they'd have mandated n95 masks.

Well my dad's been allowed home.one of the Problems seems to his GP keeps changing how many of his blood thinning pills he should be taking. He is reluctant to question if this is correct even though he gave conflicting advice on previous visits.
That s**t is annoying. i've got a mate in his 70s who has similar problems every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back