Opinion Could MDB become our Priddis?

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was reasonably impressed with MDB once he was substituted into the contest.We all know he's an incredibly tough,fearless footballer which is a pretty good pre-requisite playing the extractor( Priddis) role.
We all know his kicking is his glaring weakness, but if MDB just plays that tough inside gig his kicking deficiency is some what diluted.

I could see Fyfe being able to spend a bit more time resting forward if MDB played more of the extracting role.

Personally,I'd rather have MDB given a full game over Suban.

Thoughts.

I was reasonably impressed with MDB once he was substituted into the contest.We all know he's an incredibly tough,fearless footballer which is a pretty good pre-requisite playing the extractor( Priddis) role.
We all know his kicking is his glaring weakness, but if MDB just plays that tough inside gig his kicking deficiency is some what diluted.

I could see Fyfe being able to spend a bit more time resting forward if MDB played more of the extracting role.

Personally,I'd rather have MDB given a full game over Suban.

Thoughts.

De Boer is quicker and his ball use is cleaner than Priddis's.

Once he starts handballing to a team mate's feet or Bradbury's a Brownlow, then he aint no Priddis.

I prefer him in close, on ball than anywhere in space. If he ain't pigging it up he lacks any abilities of consequence. If there is room for both him and Neale feeding the class than sure but he needs to work on his decision making in close by hand.

For all of the Priddis criticism, he's a very smart footballer and that's where he's got it all over De Boer, as well as having slightly better skills.

The only area De Boer would come out in front in a comparison is he's quicker. That's it.

For all of the Priddis criticism, he's a very smart footballer and that's where he's got it all over De Boer, as well as having slightly better skills.

The only area De Boer would come out in front in a comparison is he's quicker. That's it.

MDB is better,stronger overhead mark too IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeBoer is a lot younger, taller, faster and not been given the opportunity to spend the whole game on ball.
Well it's where we have seen his best performances at Peel and RTB seemed to come away pretty impressed with Pig in the middle this week. Many have been calling for him to go full Kirky for a while. I just really don't like him in the same fwd line as Mayne and Ballas.

Barlow deserves to take de Boer's spot as inside midfielder. Not sure why Mickey is continuously played high forward. We're crying out for his up and under quick hands as well as first ball use. Sorry but Matt kicking is generally crap that at least he is kicking from the centre square forward.

Priddis is a very good footy player. He plays his role exceptionally well, and tries his guts out.
De Boer tries is guts out, but doesn't fulfil his role exceptionally well.

Barlow deserves to take de Boer's spot as inside midfielder. Not sure why Mickey is continuously played high forward. We're crying out for his up and under quick hands as well as first ball use. Sorry but Matt kicking is generally crap that at least he is kicking from the centre square forward.
Barlow and Neale are often rotating through there now. Barlow was on ball for large periods on the weekend. Seems to be fairly consistent with Fyfe's fwd rotation and Mundy's CHB rotation. The intention is supposedly to preserve energy and reduce injuries.

Priddis works for West Coast because just about every other one of their midfielders is a quick, outside receiver. So you have this contested ball winning machine that feeds the likes of Gaff and Shuey (don't ever be fooled by Shuey's contested ball numbers - a hitout receive is counted as a contested ball win, but given the taps Naitanui feeds him they are more like a handball receive).

Freo's mids are too biased towards winning the contest, and not that fast. De Boer feeding Barlow or Mundy doesn't really give you that much spread from the contest.

De Boer is quicker and his ball use is cleaner than Priddis's.

Once he starts handballing to a team mate's feet or Bradbury's a Brownlow, then he aint no Priddis.
If Fyfe gets suspended this year then there is a reasonable chance he will win another Brownlow. He's having a better season this year than last year.

Priddis works for West Coast because just about every other one of their midfielders is a quick, outside receiver. So you have this contested ball winning machine that feeds the likes of Gaff and Shuey (don't ever be fooled by Shuey's contested ball numbers - a hitout receive is counted as a contested ball win, but given the taps Naitanui feeds him they are more like a handball receive).

Freo's mids are too biased towards winning the contest, and not that fast. De Boer feeding Barlow or Mundy doesn't really give you that much spread from the contest.
This. He's not as bad as some make out and does his job pretty well but Priddis would be a terrible fit for our team.

I think a lot of people severely underrate Priddis. He is probably one of the best extractors of the footy by hand in the comp with A grade quick decision making. Deboer is nowhere near Priddis but he's still pretty good and a very handy player Priddis is a Brownlow medalist. Deboer ain't no Brownlow material but a really good wet weather inside mid I reckon.

If Fyfe gets suspended this year then there is a reasonable chance he will win another Brownlow. He's having a better season this year than last year.

He solely carried your midfield last year, however this year guys like Shuey, Gaff and Yeo have lifted and will take votes from him, especially Gaff. Wellingham has gone to a half back flank so he doesn't stink up your midfield anymore, whilst Chris Masten is still a waste of a pick 3.

He solely carried your midfield last year, however this year guys like Shuey, Gaff and Yeo have lifted and will take votes from him, especially Gaff. Wellingham has gone to a half back flank so he doesn't stink up your midfield anymore, whilst Chris Masten is still a waste of a pick 3.
Masten is good but needs consistency, jury is out on pick 3 still. Wellingham has been very good in defence this year. Other than that I agree.

MDB could play a similar role, if that is what the OP is asking, then yeah.

Priddis is clearly the more accomplished player. Yeah, Priddis is not your elite all round player like Fyfe, Judd, Gazza Jnr etc. so that's where his Brownlow looks a little odd - but that's a fault of the way the Brownlow is is decided, not the fault of or a fair comparison to put on Priddis. Anyway, Priddis is extremely good in traffic, is strong in the body so holds his feet and composure and uses the ball within his limitations as good as anybody in the league. He knows were to go on the field overall and in the tight stuff makes good decisions very quickly.

MDB is similar in that he's limited in some senses at the top level, but has a couple of strings to his bow that are very good. There's no doubt in my mind that his best position is in a similar role (i.e. in the heart of the midfield), but I don't think he has that quick thinking decision making in him anything like Priddis. Further we we don't really need him in there given our mix quite like the Eagles need Pridda. I mean he's good to go in there at times, and given the wet greasy conditions we've had recently, more of MDB in the middle should have been a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back