Biggie_

Debutant
Sep 9, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Scarborough, Claremont
BEN Cousins has nominated for Saturday's AFL national draft despite St Kilda pulling out of the race to sign the troubled midfielder.
The AFL confirmed Cousins had put his name forward for consideration in the draft as he seeks to rebuild his career following drugs problems and a 12-month ban from the sport for bringing it into disrepute.

The 30-year-old is a premiership player and was the 2005 Brownlow Medallist.

But he has not played since late 2007 after he was sacked by former club West Coast, and Cousins later confessed to battling drug addiction.

Cousins received permission from the league last week to renew his AFL career and was given until Wednesday to decide whether to nominate for the national draft.

The Saints decided on Tuesday not to make a play for Cousins, with Brisbane now believed to be the only club interested in recruiting him.

If he is overlooked in Saturday's draft, Cousins could also put his hand up for next month's pre-season draft.

Cousins said he saw nominating for both drafts as an important step in his rehabilitation process.
"I hope to get the opportunity to return to the game that I love," he said in a statement.

"Playing football at the highest level again is an important part of my ongoing rehabilitation and I believe that I can be a valuable contributor at an AFL club."

Cousins would have to be picked up in either the national draft or the pre-season draft on December 16 to resume his AFL career, otherwise he would be unable to play top-level Australian football in 2009.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24710256-2722,00.html

why would he go for the national draft after everyone has basically said no to drafting him?

Too good a player for him to be overlooked.

There are certainly clubs that would be negligent in their duties if they did not pick him up. I think there are 8 clubs that could get very good value for their money if they did pick him.

Think of the huge amount of positive publicity the Ben Cousin's story could generate. It would be the football story of the year if he were to come back, play good footy and help whatever club it is make the finals.

Any club, no matter what their financial position, that would take feedback from their sponsors as to who to recruit onto their playing list are kidding themselves if they think they are a professional sporting organisation.

:rolleyes: As much you would like to give this bloke another go - there are just too many up and coming younger players who have just as much talent and form who are currently waiting for the draft picks as well those players who were delisted. I reckon give these blokes ago first. :p

Would still love to have him at Tigerland!!

The bottom line is he is still one of the best players going around is worth the risk.

Fremantle have said no publicly about 20 times, but it doesn't seem to get through to many people. Seems you need to have a board meeting and press conference specifically relating to Cousins before anyone takes you seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too good a player for him to be overlooked.

There are certainly clubs that would be negligent in their duties if they did not pick him up. I think there are 8 clubs that could get very good value for their money if they did pick him.

Think of the huge amount of positive publicity the Ben Cousin's story could generate. It would be the football story of the year if he were to come back, play good footy and help whatever club it is make the finals.

Any club, no matter what their financial position, that would take feedback from their sponsors as to who to recruit onto their playing list are kidding themselves if they think they are a professional sporting organisation.

Maybe that's why Richmond don't have a sponsor?

I am starting to think that Cousins has a team and is delibrately trying to drive down his price in order to get there.

Ricky Nixon makes comments that no "johnny come lately" clubs need apply hence ruling out clubs throwing up their hands lately. Then you have him being troublesome for the two clubs publicly linked to him. I think it all adds up to Cousins has a commitment and is more interested in driving his value down so a club can grab him. For example, team A who he wants to go to may have said if you are around at 42 we will take you. Therefore, Cousins acts suspiciously in order so he makes sure he gets there.

It doesn't make sense nominating for the ND without a commitment.

I am starting to think that Cousins has a team and is delibrately trying to drive down his price in order to get there.

Ricky Nixon makes comments that no "johnny come lately" clubs need apply hence ruling out clubs throwing up their hands lately. Then you have him being troublesome for the two clubs publicly linked to him. I think it all adds up to Cousins has a commitment and is more interested in driving his value down so a club can grab him. For example, team A who he wants to go to may have said if you are around at 42 we will take you. Therefore, Cousins acts suspiciously in order so he makes sure he gets there.

It doesn't make sense nominating for the ND without a commitment.

One possible reason to nominate without a commitment is closure. If he has been looking towards going back to AFL and had this as a goal as part of his rehab process then nominating and not being picked up is possibly better for him as it is a definitive message to himself that it is time to look somewhere else for inspiriation. If he doesn't nominate because he thinks no one will pick him up he'll always have in the back of his mind the thought What if?

This way he can either get back into playing AFL or he can finally close that chapter of his life and look forward with no doubts in his mind.

Good luck Cuzzie!:thumbsu: Hope he finds a club and produces his best next year to stick it right up some of his critics!:cool:

Maybe he is setting himself up to sue the AFL and by nominating he is saying that he tried his best to get a "job", however the innuendo and "onerous" condidtions put upon him, conditions that also fall outside standard working conditions have made it impossible for him to earn a wage and as such are a restraint of trade

Maybe he is setting himself up to sue the AFL and by nominating he is saying that he tried his best to get a "job", however the innuendo and "onerous" condidtions put upon him, conditions that also fall outside standard working conditions have made it impossible for him to earn a wage and as such are a restraint of trade
Playing the devils advocate.....but I've been thinking this myself in the event he's not picked up

Seriously, Cousins is an absolutely elite prospect for any club, and is worth anything from say pick 15 on, I can't believe the lack of interest. Especially considering the rubbish clubs take a punt on recruiting.

Why nominate if he doesn't have a concrete offer from a club? ... Because it goes to demonstrate his commitment, particularly given some of his manager's ill-considered recent remarks.

I agree with Gary Ablett's advice: "Cousins must turn his back on bad mates". And he should start with Nixon, he does nothing to promote an image of a man trying to rehabilitate his image. In fact, I'd say Nixon's comments, both their content and tone (generally belligerent), have not helped his cause one iota.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back