Cousins Nominates for National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

:rolleyes: As much you would like to give this bloke another go - there are just too many up and coming younger players who have just as much talent and form who are currently waiting for the draft picks as well those players who were delisted. I reckon give these blokes ago first. :p

bullshit. what an insane thing to say. The guy is one of the greatest players of the last 30 years

Despite nothing seemingly concrete, it would be hard for him to be drafted if he doesn't nominate now wouldn't it? You gotta be in it to win so they say.......

And he is burning to play, make no mistake about it. You wouldn't push yourself through an arduous solo pre-season if you weren't serious about playing again.

I'd find it interesting if Sydney took him, and played him as perhaps a half-forward style player that still had a run in the midfield, as that's the area we're lacking in at the moment. One year deal, then trade him to a Melbourne club for his last year, possibly Carlton, and get a nice draft pick or young player out of it.

I hope the Swans take the punt. If he kicked the winning goal against the Eagles I think that'd be the last game I'd watch in 2009, because it wouldn't get better.

:D

:rolleyes: As much you would like to give this bloke another go - there are just too many up and coming younger players who have just as much talent and form who are currently waiting for the draft picks as well those players who were delisted. I reckon give these blokes ago first. :p
Just as much talent? Huh? Did you ever watch him play?

You would struggle to name 10 players with as much natural ability as Benny C. Couple it with a work ethic that is nearly the stuff of legend, he is a very, very rare mould of player.

Despite nothing seemingly concrete, it would be hard for him to be drafted if he doesn't nominate now wouldn't it? You gotta be in it to win so they say.......

And he is burning to play, make no mistake about it. You wouldn't push yourself through an arduous solo pre-season if you weren't serious about playing again.

Exactly, he would not have gone to all the effort and gone through all the s**t that he has if he was not dead serious about returning drug free. He is definately worth the risk.

Who is in your aviator.
I like.:thumbsu:

Exactly, he would not have gone to all the effort and gone through all the s**t that he has if he was not dead serious about returning drug free. He is definately worth the risk.

Who is in your aviator.
I like.:thumbsu:

No idea, but she is young and dumb enough to pose for said shots. :D

At one point, he was training/running on the islands in the middle of the road to avoid people stopping him to talk to him. I ignored that and rolled my car along side him and chatted :p much to the disgust of the traffic behind me.

I was surprised the Saints opted to not take a punt on him. But not being privvy to all that they know, its hard to bag the decision, but I'm a bit disappointed we didn't opt to take him.

But if we turn around and draft Carroll, holy boy, they will be sent a strongly worded email.......

i hope a club picks him up. it wont be in the national draft. all clubs are looking for kids this year and he will more than likely get picked up in the psd

That doesnt make much sense.

To get a pick in the Pre-season draft a club has to pass a pick from the national draft.

If Cousins is picked in the national draft, he has to abide by league policies, wage restrictions etc. If he doesnt accept the 40k a year contract a club gives him as a draftee, he isnt allowed to play for another AFL club.

So essentially, any club picking Ben Cousins in the ND will put him on the base 40k a year wage, give or take.

If for whatever reason, they wait to take him in the Pre-season draft (maybe wanting more time to assess him) he gets complete control over contract negotiations, and can put a 200k a year price tag on his head.

The only reason the pre-season draft exists, is because established players enter it to avoid the minimum wage situation, and can put their own prices on their heads.

If Cousins has nominated for the National Draft, it makes absolutely no sense to wait till the PSD to take him.

He will get taken in the National Draft.

That doesnt make much sense.

To get a pick in the Pre-season draft a club has to pass a pick from the national draft.

If Cousins is picked in the national draft, he has to abide by league policies, wage restrictions etc. If he doesnt accept the 40k a year contract a club gives him as a draftee, he isnt allowed to play for another AFL club.

So essentially, any club picking Ben Cousins in the ND will put him on the base 40k a year wage, give or take.

If for whatever reason, they wait to take him in the Pre-season draft (maybe wanting more time to assess him) he gets complete control over contract negotiations, and can put a 200k a year price tag on his head.

The only reason the pre-season draft exists, is because established players enter it to avoid the minimum wage situation, and can put their own prices on their heads.

If Cousins has nominated for the National Draft, it makes absolutely no sense to wait till the PSD to take him.

He will get taken in the National Draft.

He can nominate his terms in the ND as well as the PSD - highly unlikely that he'll be playing for base wages anywhere.

I hope the Swans take the punt. If he kicked the winning goal against the Eagles I think that'd be the last game I'd watch in 2009, because it wouldn't get better.

:D
This is my personal opinion on what will happen:

Richmond will draft him with the last pick in the pre-season draft after all other clubs overlook him. They might put Polak on the LTI as well.

They will start him in Round 1 but I'm not sure he will be quite ready then, at risk of a hammy injury I reckon.

But best of luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love it if my mob took him at pick 49 (or whatever it is) which is basically a free hit after Ranga agreed to the rookie arrangement. Have seen zero in the press about it, but I get the feeling that is the way Costa, Cook & Wells operate. Would actually be suprised if they hadn't at least been in touch with Bryan Cousins, and Geelong should obviously hope and plan to be thereabouts for the next couple of years, if that's the case I don't think a kid they pick at 49 could help them as much as Cousins (fit) would do for at least 2 years.

I think Sydney taking him would be great, just to see Bollox's brain explode. ;)

I just want to see him back playing again because I think that is the best thing for him, I'm not too worried about which team it is. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Sydney though.

I just want to see him back too, to be honest. If it was for the Swans it'd be extra enjoyable because so many of the members at RWO hate the idea of Cousins playing for Sydney, but whoever picks him up it'll just be good to see him playing again. Hopefully at his best.

I hope someone picks him up, any club, I just want to see his silky skills again.

Maybe he is setting himself up to sue the AFL and by nominating he is saying that he tried his best to get a "job", however the innuendo and "onerous" condidtions put upon him, conditions that also fall outside standard working conditions have made it impossible for him to earn a wage and as such are a restraint of trade

You could be right.. Nixon seems to be sabotaging his career with some of his remarks. I am sure I heard that Nixon and a film crew for his doco.were with him when he went for his hair test. Why? If you had no hair to be tested? Have to wonder what advice his “bad mates” are giving him. They like revenge and pay back and Benny is not one that likes to conform!! We know he doesn’t like to be told who he can and can’t associate with. Also ,I’m sure I heard or read that some clubs were worried about the doco. as it will cause some people embrassment. If he doesn’t play and tells all, he will make more money than playing football. Maybe that’s what Nixon wants! Maybe Benny wants some revenge ! Starting with Caroline Wilson I hope.

Too good a player for him to be overlooked.

There are certainly clubs that would be negligent in their duties if they did not pick him up. I think there are 8 clubs that could get very good value for their money if they did pick him.

Think of the huge amount of positive publicity the Ben Cousin's story could generate. It would be the football story of the year if he were to come back, play good footy and help whatever club it is make the finals.

Any club, no matter what their financial position, that would take feedback from their sponsors as to who to recruit onto their playing list are kidding themselves if they think they are a professional sporting organisation.

Richmond havent said "No" to considering Ben Cousins ind the PSD; but I wonder if the fact that they are still finalising a co-major sponsor that they cant committ one way or the other n Ben until they've struck a deal with the sponsor?

I'd love nothing more than to see this champion strut his stuff back on the field again - the guy is a gun! Would love to see him down at tigerland BIG TIME... but any club will do - as long as he can thrill us football fans with his amazing talent again..

I am lovin kevin sheedys impact back down at tigerland... he is making his presence felt and at at tiger function made a push to get Benny... i almost ran off the road when i heard it this morn... whoo hoo ...oh please let it happen!!

However like i said, just as long as he plays at top level again i will be happy.. (in a tiger guernsey i'd be ecstatic!!)

cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back