Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with MOC, UN & Cadillac.

Does not do enough.

What I’d like to see is....

Cripps gathers the inside contested ball, handballs it to Carlton player who in turn loses possession, Cripps tackles opposition player and regathers possession and delivers a perfectly executed pass to the chest of....You guessed it....Cripps. As the ball leaves defensive 50, Cripps kicks it down the line where Cripps takes a magnificent contested mark on the wing. Moving the ball semlesslly in transition, Cripps handballs it to Cripps and then applies the sheppard. Cripps drives the ball inside forward 50 where Cripps pulls down an unbelievable pack mark.
Cripps appears to be weighing up his options now (should I kick the goal or give it off to one of my teammates so that in the rare circumstances they flukely kick the goal it will appease the Bigfooty numpties and get me a scoring assist stat, or kick the goal myself and get the........Oh....it’s so bloody confusing) Anyway, Cripps handballs it off and said Carlton player instantly loses possession, Cripps tackles again and regathers possession, calmly goes back, steps around one, and slots it on his left from 47 metres.
As Cripps jogs back to face Sandilands at the next ruck contest, a crusty old Carlton supporter sagely looks at his mate and says “about time he pulled his finger out of his arse, I’m sick of having to deal with the bullshit on Bigfooty”
They chortle amongst themselves as they celebrate Carlton’s first goal of the game 10 minutes into the third quarter, warm in the fact that the last goal may take their season % above 60.

Last edited:
Totally agree with MOC, UN & Cadillac.

Does not do enough.

What I’d like to see is....

Cripps gathers the inside contested ball, handballs it to Carlton player who in turn loses possession, Cripps tackles opposition player and regathers possession and delivers a perfectly executed pass to the chest of....You guessed it....Cripps. As the ball leaves defensive 50, Cripps kicks it down the line where Cripps takes a magnificent contested mark on the wing. Moving the ball semlesslly in transition, Cripps handballs it to Cripps and then applies the sheppard. Cripps drive the ball inside forward 50 where Cripps pulls down an unbelievable pack mark.
Cripps appears to be weighing up his options now (should I kick the goal or give it off to one of my teammates so that in the rare circumstances they flukely kick the goal it will appease the Bigfooty numpties and get me a scoring assist stat, or kick the goal myself and get the........Oh....it’s so bloody confusing) Anyway, Cripps handballs it off and said Carlton player instantly loses possession, Cripps tackles again and regathers possession, calmly goes back, steps around one, and slots it on his left from 47 metres.
As Cripps jogs back to face Sandilands at the next ruck contest, a crusty old Carlton supporter sagely looks at his mate and says “about time he pulled his finger out of his arse, I’m sick of having to deal with the bullshit on Bigfooty”
They chortle amongst themselves as they celebrate Carlton’s first goal of the game 10 minutes into the third quarter, warm in the fact that the last goal may take their season % above 60.
Salty doggies realise Bont has fallen behind in every other facet of the game so now focused on scoring involvements. Classic

Salty doggies realise Bont has fallen behind in every other facet of the game so now focused on scoring involvements. Classic
You will find it was a Fremantle supporter who brought up score involvements, champ. But I guess that wouldn’t fit your narrative.

Oliver is averaging almost 7 score involvements per game for basically the same amount of touches. So that's a fair bit better than Cripps.

Fyfe averages 8 score involvements from similar disposals.
Tom Mitchell who everyone says isn't very damaging averages 6 Si's a game.

Did you watch Cripps today? His disposal was ordinary and he sold out a few of his teammates with hospital handballs. What did you think of his defensive efforts?
Score Involvements are counted based on what exactly? Being part of a possession train leading to a score for the team? So as our outside midfielders improve and actually connect to forwards Cripps's Score Involvements will go up without him actually doing anything.

All you are really saying is we lack the quality to connect the ball from a clearance to a score, nothing to do with cripps and what he is doing.

a perfectly executed pass to the chest of....You guessed it....Cripps. As the ball leaves defensive 50, Cripps kicks it down the line where Cripps takes a magnificent contested mark on the wing. Moving the ball semlesslly in transition, Cripps handballs it to Cripps and then applies the sheppard. Cripps drives the ball inside forward 50 where Cripps pulls down an unbelievable pack mark.

You put a lot of effort into this odd rant but you made a lot of references to cripps executing perfect passes by foot and kicking goals on his non-preferred.

Cripps isn’t that good by foot and there is countless evidence of that. Kicks it up and under a lot

He's certainly a potential star.

Cripps and Kelly are already there, though.

Winning two best and fairests, being an All Australian and the best player in a side that won a flag is pretty good going for someone who isn't a star.

Winning two best and fairests, being an All Australian and the best player in a side that won a flag is pretty good going for someone who isn't a star.
And don’t forget the 19 Brownlow votes he had last year that had him placed 7th.

If Bont can average less kicks and goals per game, and focus his game on handballing and inside work. I’m sure the bigfooty world will start to appreciate the Bont as much as Cripps.

And don’t forget the 19 Brownlow votes he had last year that had him placed 7th.

If Bont can average less kicks and goals per game, and focus his game on handballing and inside work. I’m sure the bigfooty world will start to appreciate the Bont as much as Cripps.
Currently it would be fair to say that Cripps and Kelly are playing like stars, Bont is showing glimpses, Merrett has dropped off although has had some elite games.

Bont has been a star in the past and no doubt if he gets 100% healthy will be again. Thats what I think herculez meamt by "potential star"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently it would be fair to say that Cripps and Kelly are playing like stars, Bont is showing glimpses, Merrett has dropped off although has had some elite games.

Bont has been a star in the past and no doubt if he gets 100% healthy will be again. Thats what I think herculez meamt by "potential star"
You keep avoiding my question.

What did you think about Cripps defensive efforts yesterday? He put so little pressure on, Fyfe was able to run at 90% DE.

You keep avoiding my question.

What did you think about Cripps defensive efforts yesterday? He put so little pressure on, Fyfe was able to run at 90% DE.
Tackles, frees against, 1%ers, pressure acts are a good measure for defensive efforts. You can look at where he places in any of these categories and form you’re own opinion. I didn’t watch the game yesterday but what you’re discribing sounds uncharacteristic of Cripps, I doubt he had a secondary role of tagging Fyfe. You should think of a different argument or say that the constant 50+ beltings is wearing on him mentally and his decline in difensive efforts are telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back