Is the age of the ‘big bodied mid’ over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just in case you’ve missed Patrick Cripps in the first 2 weeks …
Here’s a message for the rest of the competition …

IMG_2282.gif
IMG_1285.jpeg

love seeing tom green show there's continuity past Cripps, Bont, Josh Kennedy...

Does Josh Dunkley count?

s**t canning Cripps I don't like.

He is obviously an absolute gun.

Simplifying things to size isn't smart. Each individual has their own attributes that balance out.

I think it's silly to talk about dinosaurs.

Also silly to say small blokes can't make it in the "modern" game when we see blokes like Butters, Nick Daicos and Gulden dominate.
See this is your mistake. When people small blokes are going to struggle in modern midfields, they're not talking about players that are over 180cm tall.

Zak Butters is 181cm and Nick Daicos is 184cm. Mark Ricciuto was 185cm did anyone ever say he was a small bloke?

A "Collingwood 6footer" used to be an old joke in the VFL, where the Pies would recruit a new key forward that they claimed was 6 foot tall. You've just described someone that size as a small.

See this is your mistake. When people small blokes are going to struggle in modern midfields, they're not talking about players that are over 180cm tall.

Zak Butters is 181cm and Nick Daicos is 184cm. Mark Ricciuto was 185cm did anyone ever say he was a small bloke?

A "Collingwood 6footer" used to be an old joke in the VFL, where the Pies would recruit a new key forward that they claimed was 6 foot tall. You've just described someone that size as a small.

I would say Butters and Daicos are short compared to most and Ricciuto may not have been that tall but he had a lot of weight in his frame. Built like Rene Kink.
You put Butters or Daicos in line with Ricciuto going for the same ball and I know who comes away second best.

No you need one or two. Just look at Cripps you just can’t tackle him and will bust through weak midfielders with ease. Richmond supporters know first hand how bad it is.

Clearly big bodied mids are going to dominate (Bont, Green)

By the same token its silly to say that the 195cm midfielder is the "prototype of the future".

Some blokes are just good regardless of size. AFLCA votes show this every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zak butters is a highly regarded mid with a small frame and average clearance game
To my eye though, I reckon Zac Buttress has a bigger body than say, Jack Steele. But Jack Steele gets referred to as a 'big bodied midfielder'.

I honestly think the term is just another lazy, throw away line that footy people throw around to make themselves sound smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back