Toast The Big 4 all getting over a million people through the gate in season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do Richmond and Collingwood posters always say attendances and membership are king when comparing to Carlton and Essendon?

How can Carlton or Essendon match the other two clubs on attendances whilst playing home games at Marvel Stadium? It’s a ridiculous argument, as ridiculous as promoting the Morgan poll tbh.

And on membership, Richmond and Collingwood have played in Grand Finals (Richmond, Premierships), Preliminary Finals the last 5 years. You don’t think this rockets these clubs memberships?

What will you say next year when Carlton possibly has a bigger membership than Richmond after just one finals series in a decade? Will the goal posts then shift to a more nuanced membership comparison?

There’s no definitive ranking other than Collingwood are undoubtably #1. Whether Carlton, Richmond or Essendon are next is much more difficult to determine that’s for certain as only Richmond have had success recently to propel attendance, membership, social followings etc.

Anyhow, a lovely sunny day here on the Goldy. A good place to avoid most of the Collingwood love fest in Melbourne. A nice distraction to have the Broncos the big #1 in these parts 😄
Cmon man you should always put the Bombers above the Blues and Tiges.😎

Yep, not going to argue that different decades based on success can change the order, gopies wont go for that lol. Blues can be top, tigers can be 3rd, ess 2nd and pies 4th. All 4 can be on top at different times...But as we speak it's pies, tigers, Ess and Blues.

Blues have never topped attendances. Never had a bigger attended season than Richmond, Essendon or Collingwood over 100+ years. Never outdrawn the pies whilst both being top 4.
I think we did in the mid to late 80's and last year only home attendance surprisingly Collingwood made a prelim.

Not every fan survey Telstra sensis and Gemba Group have Carlton above. But survey's are very unreliable.

Carlton are bigger than Essendon on the following metrics.
1. Google biggest search platform
used by all age groups daily that includes
unique searches.
2. Social Media instagram linkedin
3. TV audience
4. Streaming
5. Merch
6. Digital footprint, clicks, data consumption
generate more interest.
8. Website hits
9. Crowds all time and the last two years.
10. Membership

If Essendon can catch up to Carlton on most of those metrics I will be happy to admit they have more supporters.
2 years ago, i remember Essendon had 20k more followers then the blues, now the blues have 27k more. It shows how much fans really come out when success hits.

2 years ago, i remember Essendon had 20k more followers then the blues, now the blues have 27k more. It shows how much fans really come out when success hits.
Have a look at Collingwood / Richmond’s Instagram followers take off after their Grand Finals / Premierships. Before 2018, Essendon were neck and neck with Collingwood, well ahead of Richmond / Carlton on social media platform followers.

How would you know Ess have more than blues, you don't. And I would say that both Carlton and Essendon are not bigger than Richmond.

On what metric, fan survey, or searches anyone can paint a narrative to suit their purpose but membership and attendances are king and please dont even embarrass yourself with roy morgan cause if you think that survey has any credence then Swans are bigger than pies.

Essendon and Carlton have never had a more attended season than Richmond, only pies have. No team has outdrawn the pies whilst both being top 4 oh except Richmond. Last 100 years pies, tigers, bombers and blues in that order for home game attendances. Your own supporters through the gates.

Social media most popular platforms FB, Insta, TikTok and X/Twitter Richmond is second to Pies, bombers third, and blues fourth. I don't even include LinkedIn as it's more work/business but Richmond has 21.6K, Blues 18.9K, Bombers 18.2K, and Pies 17.1K.

The two biggest crowds against the lowest-supported team in gws in finals are by pies 97K and tigers 95K. Richmond also hold the largest home and away crowd against an interstate side V Lions 77K at the G.

The test for Blues is can they get decent numbers while lower in the ladder. Essendon has been somewhat consistent in that area.

2016 we finished 2nd in attendances and we were bottom 6 on the ladder. The Tigers bottom 6 on the ladder this year (3rd in attendances) and only 27K behind Carlton in 2nd who were 5th and played pies twice and got a free 80K+bump in attendance.
We play pies twice or blues play them once and we are 2nd without a doubt. If Tigers were 5th and Blues bottom 6 no one in their right mind would think Blues would outdraw Richmond.

Tigers showed whilst being top 4/5 on the ladder, topping attendances in 2015, 2017, 2018, 2021 and in 2019 we were second in attendances but as stated pies played the Bombers twice (85K Rd 23), whereas we played them once. Reverse that fixture and we top attendances also in 2019. This isn't some bullshit explanation, it's actual fact that the fixture especially playing other big 4 teams twice has a bearing on overall attendances. I am pretty sure that the Blues have never topped attendances, I know the bombers have as have the Pies and Tigers many times.

Last but not least, don't make out like pies are killing crowds every year. This year yes being on top. Only need to go back from 2016 just to show some lowly crowds none more so than the 20K v freo.

2016 20K v Freo at the G, 17K V Suns at Marvel
2017 32 v lions at the G, 22K v eagles marvel, 47K V Cats at the G
2018 30K v giants, 53K v blues, 39 V swans
2019 31 v Dees at the G
2022 28K v suns at the G, 25K v eagles at marvel and 30K V giants at the G

This year the pies bandwagoners have jumped on. And im honest enough to say all teams have bandwagoners who jump on just look at Blues, they were in the abyss last decade but came out of the woodwork last year/this year. The thing is your pies will jump off as soon as you start losing and what I mean by that was the impressive first-time ever 60K crowds v freo, port and Crows. You'll get your 30-45K range maybe tad more but won't be getting 60K when your are out of the 8 hence the bandwagoners will jump off.
Actually Richmond got 94,247 v gws. Collingwood actually got closer to 98,000 with 97,661 v gws. I don’t Know why Richmond fans keep on stating that they drew 95,000 when they were more closer to the 94,000 mark.

On what metric, fan survey, or searches anyone can paint a narrative to suit their purpose
This is pretty much what you do, you try to paint a narrative that Rich are far bigger with attendances while not acknowledging that Carl and Ess are forced to play six home games at a stadium with a sold out capacity of 45k vs Rich 90k. Even if Carl and Ess were undefeated for the entire season we could still only have a max home game avg of about 55k, that's almost 10k less than Coll got this year.

The two biggest crowds against the lowest-supported team in gws in finals are by pies 97K and tigers 95K. Richmond also hold the largest home and away crowd against an interstate side V Lions 77K at the G.
Carl and Ess would get 95k to a prelim against GWS, wouldn't be surprised if Haw topped 90k if it was the only game in town. If you want to cherry pick like this the Blues have the record week 1 or 2 finals crowd vs an interstate team, and record week 1 or 2 finals crowd vs any team for the last 50 years or so.

The Tigers bottom 6 on the ladder this year (3rd in attendances) and only 27K behind Carlton in 2nd
If Tigers were 5th and Blues bottom 6 no one in their right mind would think Blues would outdraw Richmond.
After round 14 Rich were 9th and Carl were 14th, then pretty much on the same points until Carl pulled ahead in round 20. 🤣

Blues have never topped attendances. Never had a bigger attended season than Richmond, Essendon or Collingwood over 100+ years.
Since 1921 Carl have finished #1 in attendances on 20 occasions vs Rich 19.

Another thing I'll point out is Richmond have by a huge margin the most supporters that live within walking distance of the MCG. I know this because your previous COO said so. Richmond is densely populated, so you have thousands and thousands of supporters that can stroll down to the G rather than take cars, trains etc. This gives a massive geographical advantage that no other club has inflating attendances.

This is pretty much what you do, you try to paint a narrative that Rich are far bigger with attendances while not acknowledging that Carl and Ess are forced to play six home games at a stadium with a sold out capacity of 45k vs Rich 90k. Even if Carl and Ess were undefeated for the entire season we could still only have a max home game avg of about 55k, that's almost 10k less than Coll got this year.

Carl and Ess would get 95k to a prelim against GWS, wouldn't be surprised if Haw topped 90k if it was the only game in town. If you want to cherry pick like this the Blues have the record week 1 or 2 finals crowd vs an interstate team, and record week 1 or 2 finals crowd vs any team for the last 50 years or so.

After round 14 Rich were 9th and Carl were 14th, then pretty much on the same points until Carl pulled ahead in round 20. 🤣

Another thing I'll point out is Richmond have by a huge margin the most supporters that live within walking distance of the MCG. I know this because your previous COO said so. Richmond is densely populated, so you have thousands and thousands of supporters that can stroll down to the G rather than take cars, trains etc. This gives a massive geographical advantage that no other club has inflating attendances.
Bravo 👏.

Richmond are a big club but on a National scale they are certainly not as big as Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton. Richmond had to win 3 premierships in 4 years to peak at 103,000 members. Id Collingwood had this success we would be pushing 130,000 and Carlton and Essendon 120,000!

I do believe that in Melbourne metro area that there is not much between the big 4 teams. It’s in country Victoria and interstate is where Collingwood is clearly no.1. Essendon 2nd closely followed by Carlton then Richmond 4th

Bravo 👏.

Richmond are a big club but on a National scale they are certainly not as big as Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton. Richmond had to win 3 premierships in 4 years to peak at 103,000 members. Id Collingwood had this success we would be pushing 130,000 and Carlton and Essendon 120,000!

I do believe that in Melbourne metro area that there is not much between the big 4 teams. It’s in country Victoria and interstate is where Collingwood is clearly no.1. Essendon 2nd closely followed by Carlton then Richmond 4th
Think Essendon and Carlton are bigger in WA than Collingwood but not sure about elsewhere.

Think Essendon and Carlton are bigger in WA than Collingwood but not sure about elsewhere.

Collingwood are big everywhere in covid Collingwood played Geelong in wa in front of 22,000 and there were probably around 15,000 pies fans. Collingwood would be top 3 or 4 most popular clubs in WA, South Australia, Northern Territory. Not sure on Tassie as pies have never played in Tassie but in 2021 Collingwood was meant to play hawthorn and collingwood’s 7,000 seat membership allocation sold out in 10 minutes. But I do agree Essendon and carlton might be slightly ahead of the pies in WA but not by much.

In terms of states I think the most popular vic clubs are

Victoria- collingwood
NSW - collingwood
Act - collingwood
Queensland - Collingwood
SA - Carlton (used to be collingwood until port joined the afl)
WA - Essendon
NT - Essendon
TAS - Hawthorn

Most popular teams on Google 2024 season excluding finals.
1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Essendon
4. Geelong
5. Sydney
6. Richmond

Most popular teams on Google since 2004
1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Essendon
4. WCE
5. Sydney
6. Hawthorn
7. Richmond
8. Geelong
9. Adelaide

Collingwood are big everywhere in covid Collingwood played Geelong in wa in front of 22,000 and there were probably around 15,000 pies fans. Collingwood would be top 3 or 4 most popular clubs in WA, South Australia, Northern Territory. Not sure on Tassie as pies have never played in Tassie but in 2021 Collingwood was meant to play hawthorn and collingwood’s 7,000 seat membership allocation sold out in 10 minutes. But I do agree Essendon and carlton might be slightly ahead of the pies in WA but not by much.

In terms of states I think the most popular vic clubs are

Victoria- collingwood
NSW - collingwood
Act - collingwood
Queensland - Collingwood
SA - Carlton (used to be collingwood until port joined the afl)
WA - Essendon
NT - Essendon
TAS - Hawthorn
In Vic it's the Bombers by whisker over the big 4.
Australia wide Collingwood by far and Carlton marginally over Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most popular teams on Google 2024 season excluding finals.
1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Essendon
4. Geelong
5. Sydney
6. Richmond

Most popular teams on Google since 2004
1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Essendon
4. WCE
5. Sydney
6. Hawthorn
7. Richmond
8. Geelong
9. Adelaide
Incorrect on Google. See below. As I illustrate, your rankings for ‘Carlton’ are the broad term. You need to drill all clubs down to ‘football club’ level. I’ve done it for you. The Pies are number 1. 2023 full year will reflect much higher recording fir Pies / Blues thanks to deep finals success. Otherwise, it’s Collingwood, then Essendon, then daylight to Carlton ‘Football Club’. IMG_9324.jpeg IMG_9325.jpeg IMG_9326.jpeg

Incorrect on Google. See below. As I illustrate, your rankings for ‘Carlton’ are the broad term. You need to drill all clubs down to ‘football club’ level. I’ve done it for you. The Pies are number 1. 2023 full year will reflect much higher recording fir Pies / Blues thanks to deep finals success. Otherwise, it’s Collingwood, then Essendon, then daylight to Carlton ‘Football Club’.View attachment 1815502View attachment 1815503View attachment 1815504
All my data is correct and drilled down to football club not broad term same fans search the Pies and Blues world wide they are more popular Google analytics allows me to see this data.

I also have access to unique searches on Google analytics which has Collingwood and Carlton ahead of Essendon I have explained this to you before.

This year as I pointed out is from mid March to the 29th of August and not finals

All my data is correct and drilled down to football club not broad term same fans search the Pies and Blues world wide they are more popular Google analytics allows me to see this data.

I also have access to unique searches on Google analytics which has Collingwood and Carlton ahead of Essendon I have explained this to you before.

This year as I pointed out is from mid March to the 29th of August and not finals
Provide us a screen dump / print screen of the primary data set like I have to prove your point. No tricks to what I supplied, anyone can do what I did, it’s there for all to see. 👍

I'm currently away but will send it 2023 season only not finals and from 2004 all clubs if you want???
If it’s just your spreadsheet, don’t worry about it. If it’s not the primary stuff (screen shot from their site) then we will never agree because the data I provided is directly from their site. I don’t know why this data would be in question. It’s pretty clear, no edits or omissions. At ‘Football club’ level, nit townships, X cricketers etc!

This is hilarious but then again you did say Swans only had 8K v blues and Dees 20K+ v blues in finals and you think you had more than lions at the Gabba as you put up some baloney comments about Brian Taylor. No one is outnumbering lions on their home deck. Nothing surprises me with your posts, you're either inflating your own teams supporter numbers in attendance or lowering the opposition teams supporters hence why I take what you say with a grain of salt.

Say what? you would get 95k v gws, or Hawks 90K, don't hypothesize until you actually do it you're just assuming, making up numbers. It took Pies 3 attempts to get over 94K+.

In the modern era, Rich v Geel QF 2017 has the highest attendance 95,028, and Rich V Carl EF 2013 has the highest attendance 94,690

Narrative do you mean actual facts, has Carlton ever had a higher attended season than Richmond = NO
Has Carlton ever outdrawn the pies whilst both top 4 = NO, Richmond has.
Does Carlton have more social media followers than Richmond = NO,
Does Carlton have a higher membership = NO.
Last 100 years pies, tigers, bombers and blues in that order for home game attendances. Your own supporters through the gates.

You can't be serious going by mid-season where we were on the ladder, bottom line by the end of the year you were 5th we were bottom 6, and only 27K difference and you played pies twice.

Inflating attendances because Richmond is closer to the G :rolleyes: Collingwood and Richmond are the two biggest armies neighboring suburbs.

Now you play your biggest games at the G, you left that part out. V Ess, Pies, Tigers, Cats, Dees and Hawks. You also played GC at the G.
You played 6 home games at Marvel. Carlton vs. St Kilda, vs. Brisbane Lions, vs. Western Bulldogs, vs. Port Adelaide. vs. West Coast Eagles and vs. GWS Giants

You have the best of both worlds, your supporters just like Ess enjoy Marvel but also go to the G for the bigger games. We are forced to play one game at Marvel, lately the Suns, our supporters hate it just bypass this game. At the G our home ground, we obviosuly get more.

Actually Richmond got 94,247 v gws. Collingwood actually got closer to 98,000 with 97,661 v gws. I don’t Know why Richmond fans keep on stating that they drew 95,000 when they were more closer to the 94,000 mark.

Semantics, didn't know it caused you grief 94K or 95K. Heck if you wanna say 98k fine. But anyway you finally got there, after 3 attempts V GWS, 72K SF 2018, 77K PF 2019, and 97K+ 2023

If it’s just your spreadsheet, don’t worry about it. If it’s not the primary stuff (screen shot from their site) then we will never agree because the data I provided is directly from their site. I don’t know why this data would be in question. It’s pretty clear, no edits or omissions. At ‘Football club’ level, nit townships, X cricketers etc!
Screet shot with some addional info

Lol, you make it like what you say is gospel. It's your own thoughts and please don't say roy morgan :rolleyes: .
Richmond is big right around the country. We got over 100K after winning one flag. Had COVID not come around we may well been upwards of 120K. Your mob only hit 100K last year when the $50 dollar membership min was removed before that you didn't get 100K, let alone 90K

If you posted without hate against Richmond your posts could well be looked at differently but if you have posted hundreds and hundreds regarding Richmond I can easily say everyone would be negative.

Screet shot with some addional info

Mate what is this Google search business, you and Dave come on. I am a GOLD AFL member and a Platinum Richmond member. I don't google search. I either go straight to my club's website or FB or Insta via my phone apps or PC via my bookmarks.

If I had to type in my team, I would just type in Richmond. Do people type in FC after their team?

Google searches I know you're big on it mate as is Dave well he is more super coach but this doesn't have any bearing on people through the gates. Or buying memberships or following your team via socials.

Just on Super Coach, In my family (+ extended family) we have about 25 Richmond all members, from under 10, teens, early to mid 20's, early to mid 30's and 40's and 50's, not one of us is on Supertcoach, I wouldnt even know where to go and I am a deadset footy buff.

Anyways, guess each to their own, I'll let you guys continue on ;)

'They have always been the loudest in real life and the Collingwood fans remain the loudest in the digital world, too.
No AFL club outside of the black and white army can boast a social media following of more than one million.
And the gap is only getting bigger as the Magpies boast more than 200,000 more followers across Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly known as Twitter) and TikTok than nearest rival Richmond.
That gap between first-ranked Magpies and second-ranked Tigers is bigger than the gap between Richmond and 10th-placed Sydney.
Long seen as a power club, the numbers prove Collingwood is ahead of all others.'

From the Herald Sun

It is the Big ONE COLLINGWOOD

Most members
Biggest Crowd Attendances
Just about every crowd record
Most Social Media

After that I think

Carlton and Essendon are close
Richmond is a long way behind in 4th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back