Toast The Big 4 all getting over a million people through the gate in season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on. Collingwood drew 71,463 on a Sunday afternoon against the Swans in the 3.20pm timeslot. It was 9 degrees with rain. Extraordinary.

Exactly which is why these big blockbuster time slots should no longer go to two of the VIC big 4.
Use these big clubs to grow the smaller clubs. I swear to god the AFL have no brains.

Again, big clubs do not need good time slots or a free keg up with FTA national coverage. Yu we either a big club or you are not. 5pm Sunday a big club will draw a good crowd if they are a big club.
Not always. In their poorish seasons that theory don’t hold. Crap crowds like the other 3 big clubs. IMG_9337.jpeg IMG_9335.jpeg IMG_9334.jpeg IMG_9333.jpeg IMG_9332.jpeg IMG_9331.jpeg IMG_9330.jpeg

We don’t live in a utopia, sometimes it’s weather, sometimes it’s just bad ladder position. Big clubs draw crowds most if the time. If you don’t in bad time slots then I’m afraid you’re not as big as you think you are.

We don’t live in a utopia, sometimes it’s weather, sometimes it’s just bad ladder position. Big clubs draw crowds most if the time. If you don’t in bad time slots then I’m afraid you’re not as big as you think you are.
Of course big clubs draw well most of the time, agree with that. My point I was making, to other posters tbh, was that when a big 4 club is poor, even Collingwood, attendances can also be poor. To this end, we can, and will see Carlton and eventually the Bombers draw similarly big crowds to Collingwood when all stars align (Eg: they don’t play at GMHBA Stadium in their strong seasons like the Pies). However, these two clubs won’t reach the same full year aggregates as Richmond or Collingwood because they don’t play 14 gamers per year at the MCG. And that’s a decisive point missed by many who raise ‘attendances’ as the objective metric.

That’s hilarious. They played St Kilda, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Port, West Coast and GWS. Most of those games would have got the same crowd at the G.
Pies also played Lions and Kangas as Home games at Marvel at the Saints as a home game in Adelaide.
The Saints and Lions game would have got 30,000 more at the G. Now that is insane.
Most of those were sold out...

So yeah, there would be a lot more at the G.

Richmond bottomed out terribly.
A Tiger player of the century left and built the Richmond Way at Essendon which turned them into a juggernaught.
No club out of the big 4 has been through a period as bleak as Richmond's and yet we have 100k members numerous years running.
We had blokes like Alan Bond at the club FFS.
On our knees.
Now if we had of not been bigheaded in the early 80s and made serious changes and stayed successful,Richmond would be even a much bigger club.
We are a bipolar club.
Highest highs and lowest lows

I hope our club stays up after our latest dynasty.
Alot of Tiger fans stayed away this year because of the rule changes and umpiring.

No Tiger goes near Marvel which really affects the attendance figures.

Been at Richmond Paddock (the G) for a long time.

May it continue.

Yes you guys falling away in the 80s wouldn’t been like us doing what we did 2002 20 years earlier, before the new tv deal and national comp got into full swing.

Entirely plausible we could have been tin rattling if our fall from grace happened then. I know we got draft penalties but the afl were never going to actually let us go out of existence, with Richmond they vfl/afl wouldn’t have bailed you guys out anytime pre 1995.

Want to try again there mate?

Richmond’s highest crowd vs GWS is 100,014

Might want to fact check before you go on your ill informed rants
I guess due to the Krakour brothers, Glendining and Cable.

You're spot on, with the latter comment, even though one poster gopies keeps harping on pies biggest around Australia after reading your post, It just made me think if pies are or if he thinks they are the biggest around Aus, what does it actually mean because if pies or any Vic team played in WA V the Eagles-Freo, SA/Crows & Power. QLD- Lions and Sydney Swans, the pies, and every other team would be dominated in the crowd as those teams would be if they played here.

In Vic, the big 4's homeland, for big games interstate or finals make no mistake majority of the support will come from Victorians travelling. In 2019 Lions V Tigers QF, the biggest crowd at the Gabbs 37.5K. We had 10K come from Vic and 3-4K members from within QLD.

Pies last year in PF v Swans had very good support, most of that pies crowd would've traveled from Vic.

So as mentioned in Victoria the heartland of the big 4 you could almost throw a blanket to whose biggest because we can all outdraw each other depending on circumstances, and ladder positions based on success. At the moment it's the pies as it was my team several years back.

Anyway, I've spent hours on posting, need to get some work done lol
But the difference is that when the pies are winning we easily outdraw Richmond. In 2023 Collingwood drew 1,384,000 fans during the home and away season. Richmond’s peak was in 2018 when the tigers drew 1,194,000. That is 8th of all time. Collingwood hold the top 7 all time home and away attendances

Last edited:
Of course big clubs draw well most of the time, agree with that. My point I was making, to other posters tbh, was that when a big 4 club is poor, even Collingwood, attendances can also be poor. To this end, we can, and will see Carlton and eventually the Bombers draw similarly big crowds to Collingwood when all stars align (Eg: they don’t play at GMHBA Stadium in their strong seasons like the Pies). However, these two clubs won’t reach the same full year aggregates as Richmond or Collingwood because they don’t play 14 gamers per year at the MCG. And that’s a decisive point missed by many who raise ‘attendances’ as the objective metric.

Agree with you which is why I just don’t get that it’s any big deal the crowds any club pulls. Good for the AFK who fixtures yiu to get the crowds but unless you have an identical fixture, time slots and grounds as all other clubs don’t come on here and tell us look what we did.
It’s like winning a hundred meter sprint starting 20m in front, yiu dint going to brag about it are you.

But the difference is that when the pies are winning we easily outdraw Richmond. In 2023 Collingwood drew 1,384,000 fans during the home and away season. Richmond’s peak was in 2018 when the tigers drew 1,194,000. That is 8th of all time. Collingwood hold the top 7 all time home and away attendances

1.364 with an extra round gather round and you played ess and carl twice..

I guess in 2018 you were winning and we were winning, you played off in a GF. We both were top 4, and we outdrew you is that what you mean?

Listen you keep going on about 7 all-time attendances and im al for attendances and membership but pies do get a more favorable fixture, Don't even try and debate that.

Dave10 explained this exactly as I have. The AFL fixture sends you down to GHMBA, and you play Ess and blues once. Maybe play GWS at Giants stadium, play them the 2nd time at the G. You would be lucky to get 1.2 mill let alone 1.3 mill. This is simple maths.

Anyway, we are just going around circles. I'll be there on sat AFL RESERVE with two other tigers barracking hard for the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you which is why I just don’t get that it’s any big deal the crowds any club pulls. Good for the AFK who fixtures yiu to get the crowds but unless you have an identical fixture, time slots and grounds as all other clubs don’t come on here and tell us look what we did.
It’s like winning a hundred meter sprint starting 20m in front, yiu dint going to brag about it are you.

Good post. And you hit the nail on the head> unless you have an identical fixture, time slots and grounds.
All things arent equal and it makes a difference in overall attendances.

Anyway, we can talk to the cows come home, unfortunately, it is what it is.

Good post. And you hit the nail on the head> unless you have an identical fixture, time slots and grounds.
All things arent equal and it makes a difference in overall attendances.

Anyway, we can talk to the cows come home, unfortunately, it is what it is.

Still great results by the pies fans and then by the tigers fans the last few years. But at the end of the day it’s hardly anything for a club to hang its hat on.
The AFL however should be patting itself on its back saying we fixtures it so these crowds would attend and look what happened.

Absolutely that's why on the main board there was a thread whose biggest eagles, tigers, or pies. The Eagles got the most votes not that its the Bees all but I dare say if you had a 80K stadium you would probably pack it out.

When we are up and about I have no doubt we would average 70k per home game if we had the stadium size.
That we get no free leg up with time slots etc just shows how big the Eagles are. Not that it matters though if the league are only interested in promoting 4 of the 18 clubs. They should be using those clubs to promote all the clubs.

Season opener should be something like Richmond v Saints on the Thursday bight
Carlton V Bulldogs Friday night
Let the big clubs help build the smaller clubs.

Anzac Day every year should involve either Collingwood or Essendon but never both. This is now an event day and it matters little who plays. If Collingwood are playing the Hawks it would be 90k or Essendon playing Geelong it would be 90k
Sane with Kings Birthday, Dreamtime etc.
They are events now and the AFL have it wrong locking in these games. They should be trying to promote all their clubs.

Ok, everybody gather around in a circle please, here I'm going to toss in the biscuit....annnnnnnnd,go!
😆 Couldn't agree more. This thread appears to have become a huge pissing contest!
Who gets a couple more to the game is irrelevant. It's the contest that creates the atmosphere and that's the enjoyable part of footy

1.364 with an extra round gather round and you played ess and carl twice..

I guess in 2018 you were winning and we were winning, you played off in a GF. We both were top 4, and we outdrew you is that what you mean?

Listen you keep going on about 7 all-time attendances and im al for attendances and membership but pies do get a more favorable fixture, Don't even try and debate that.

Dave10 explained this exactly as I have. The AFL fixture sends you down to GHMBA, and you play Ess and blues once. Maybe play GWS at Giants stadium, play them the 2nd time at the G. You would be lucky to get 1.2 mill let alone 1.3 mill. This is simple maths.

Anyway, we are just going around circles. I'll be there on sat AFL RESERVE with two other tigers barracking hard for the Lions.
Why do collingwood get a more favourable fixture? Well it’s simple to figure out. The afl know we are the biggest club and all the other 17 clubs know this as well. They all request to have a home game against us. Eddie McGuire even said that collingwood is the only club to not put in a fixturing request.

If it’s just your spreadsheet, don’t worry about it. If it’s not the primary stuff (screen shot from their site) then we will never agree because the data I provided is directly from their site. I don’t know why this data would be in question. It’s pretty clear, no edits or omissions. At ‘Football club’ level, nit townships, X cricketers etc!
First image are the most popular teams on Google for the 2023 season only.
The Bar Graph has average Carlton 12, Essendon 11, Collingwood 17, Geelong 9

1695961038724.png

1695961147985.png

Collingwood only need 34,000 to break the all time home and away year end attendance record. Collingwood’s crowds have been insane.

Yes there is a big 4 but in reality Collingwood are clearly no.1.

Carlton, Richmond and Essendon are challenging for the 2nd biggest club
If the Blues had the same number of MCG games as the pies we'd hit what Collingwood have this season.

Have a look at Collingwood / Richmond’s Instagram followers take off after their Grand Finals / Premierships. Before 2018, Essendon were neck and neck with Collingwood, well ahead of Richmond / Carlton on social media platform followers.
Most popular clubs on Google since 2004 Bar graph has average Carlton 21, Essendon 19, Collingwood 23, WCE 14, Sydney 15

1695961617292.png
1695961693012.png

Most popular clubs on Google since 2004 Bar graph has average Carlton 21, Essendon 19, Collingwood 23, WCE 14, Sydney 15

View attachment 1817118
View attachment 1817119
I have no idea how you’re extracting the data, but I did it on my laptop this time (not iPhone) and it breaks out into weeks like you’ve got.

However, data is still indicating Collingwood #1 just ahead of Essendon #2 (separated only by its 2010, 2018, 2022/23 deep finals campaigns and almost level rest of time periods). Then a bigger gap to Carlton #3.

Anyhow, what we do agree on is the Lions tomorrow. At least being in QLD I haven’t been immersed in all the Pies love and coverage. Broncos / Lions up here reign supreme! IMG_9339.jpeg IMG_9340.jpeg

I have no idea how you’re extracting the data, but I did it on my laptop this time (not iPhone) and it breaks out into weeks like you’ve got.

However, data is still indicating Collingwood #1 just ahead of Essendon #2 (separated only by its 2010, 2018, 2022/23 deep finals campaigns and almost level rest of time periods). Then a bigger gap to Carlton #3.

Anyhow, what we do agree on is the Lions tomorrow. At least being in QLD I haven’t been immersed in all the Pies love and coverage. Broncos / Lions up here reign supreme!View attachment 1817221View attachment 1817222
Hey?????🤔I've got no idea where you got your data from???

The top end is obvious, I'm actually more surprised at teams like the Lions being so low.

Brisbane are flying, Brisbane always puts on mint weather and sunshine, the Gabba is a venue that they always win at, and they have a decent amount of Melbourne based supporters when they travel here, would have thought they'd be a lot higher.
The Gabba was packed last weekend - 36k maxes them out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back