Cronulla Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

The ONLY way they could get bans of 6 months is via the 'substantial assistance' clauses. This is not a sanction reduced because 'the club has suffered enough' ... only if the players did a deal with ASADA, plead guilty and provided substantial assistance.

The infractions must still be handed out by the tribunal.

But in that instance, it is possible for it to be 6 months, with only 1 month in the off season.

I havent followed the NRL situation much - but didnt they contest the charges? didnt they refuse to co-operate?

I havent followed the NRL situation much - but didnt they contest the charges? didnt they refuse to co-operate?
The NRL maintained the players had a right to not self-incriminate, as they should, but they were still interviewed.

I really wouldn't put much stock into what johns has said, I doubt he even understands that SC notices come before the NRL issuing infraction notices.

ASADA started interviewing players but called them off. Apparently due to lawyers not agreeing on questions. ASADA believed they didn't need to speak to the players as they had enough information without them. I think in the end they only attempted to interview one player.

Three players are suing Cronulla over failing in their duty of care.

ASADA started interviewing players but called them off. Apparently due to lawyers not agreeing on questions. ASADA believed they didn't need to speak to the players as they had enough information without them. I think in the end they only attempted to interview one player.

Three players are suing Cronulla over failing in their duty of care.

Players suing Cronulla could be what kills the club as they could get millions in compensation.

Not like the AFL where an 18 YO can be a solid contributor though. Having said that, Cronulla is s**t anyway, so it'll just mean the difference between a wooden spoon and a WOODEN SPOON.

I bet Cronulla wished the NRL had a draft right now. :D
So they are getting a wooden spoon* then?

The rumours are growing stronger. Six months.

Is ASADA applying the blow torch to Essendon by proxy (Cronulla)?

Hearing the 6 months off-season penalties a bit. AFL season starts later next year because of cricket world cup so EFC players wouldn't miss a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I understand happened at Cronulla as opposed with Essendon, combined with the lack of power for the NRL to force players to answer questions. I would guess the evidence at Cronulla would be a lot less, but could be wrong.

The rumours are growing stronger. Six months.

Is ASADA applying the blow torch to Essendon by proxy (Cronulla)?

Not on purpose, you wouldn't think. The NRL investigation started first and would always have had its own blow torch. It would certainly make things interesting if Cronulla players were given and accepted six month penalties while EFC players stuck by the club in its strategy of arguing with ASADA, but it would be surprising if anything in this saga was settled so quickly that Cronulla players would be off later this year and back for the 2015 season.

From what I understand happened at Cronulla as opposed with Essendon, combined with the lack of power for the NRL to force players to answer questions. I would guess the evidence at Cronulla would be a lot less, but could be wrong.
Not necessarily. The Cronulla club has its own Switkowski report done by none other than......drum roll.....Aurora Andruska. It is more damning that the Switkowski report. There are also numerous whistle blowers now, three of whom are suing the club.

Just as many Essendon supporters believe they should never have done the report, Cronulla supporters feel the same (ridiculous I know). Additionally, Cronulla was not tipped off and the club was raided before they had a chance to destroy their records in the way Essendon did.

Not necessarily. The Cronulla club has its own Switkowski report done by none other than......drum roll.....Aurora Andruska. It is more damning that the Switkowski report. There is also numerous whistle blowers now, three of whom are suing the club.

Just as many Essendon supporters believe they had never done the report, Cronulla supporters feel the same. Additionally, Cronulla was not tipped off and the club was raided before they had a chance to destroy their records in the way Essendon did.

I did not know that and just assumed that Cronulla would be so disorganized that they would legit have no records.

Not on purpose, you wouldn't think. The NRL investigation started first and would always have had its own blow torch. It would certainly make things interesting if Cronulla players were given and accepted six month penalties while EFC players stuck by the club in its strategy of arguing with ASADA, but it would be surprising if anything in this saga was settled so quickly that Cronulla players would be off later this year and back for the 2015 season.
The Cronulla club initially assisted with the investigation as did Essendon. However, there was an uproar about what was coming out and the support base threw the board out a couple of months later. A very unfortunately timed election.

The new board has stone walled ever since and reversed all the sensible governance decisions make by the previous board. Similarly, the coach Shane Flannagan got a contract extention just as did James Hird. The players have refused to answer the questions beyond what is required at any stage. Whether that is regarded as substantial assistance I don't know, but six months would seem highly unlikely.

Last edited:
I did not know that and just assumed that Cronulla would be so disorganized that they would legit have no records.
Not the medical records, but invoices, internal communications etc. Dank's modus operandi IMO is to run his drug programs without writing down who took what. He leaves it to the player to remember what they were given and sidelines the doctor. Presumably he is tracking the results/ improvements somewhere, and he is holding these to keep Essendon and Cronulla at bay.

There are no records by pathologists because the injecting took place in corporate boxes and other strange places by club personnel.

Last edited:
I have never understood this bit. Everyone else serves off season. Does a shot putter give two shits about a ban served between Olympics?

If the only competition a shot putter participated in was the Olympics, probably not.

However, all sports have various seasons, championships and, for some, lots of potential prize money.

So, a shot putter woould miss local and national events, international events, world indoor and outdoor championships, diamond league, Commonwealth Games, etc etc. If they were scholarship college athletes, that would go as well.

They would even miss the events required to qualify for the next Olympics

I highly doubt any of this is true TBH as I fail to see how show causes would have been kept quiet.
NRL have already shown that they don't always wait for ASADA to issue SCNs before they themselves issue infraction notices and suspensions. It's quite possible they have dealt with it all in-house. Not surprising if the NRL don't trust ASADA.

Not necessarily. The Cronulla club has its own Switkowski report done by none other than......drum roll.....Aurora Andruska. It is more damning that the Switkowski report. There are also numerous whistle blowers now, three of whom are suing the club.

Just as many Essendon supporters believe they should never have done the report, Cronulla supporters feel the same (ridiculous I know). Additionally, Cronulla was not tipped off and the club was raided before they had a chance to destroy their records in the way Essendon did.
Ahh, no it wasnt, it was written by former ASADA deputy chair, Dr Tricia Kavanagh.

NRL have already shown that they don't always wait for ASADA to issue SCNs before they themselves issue infraction notices and suspensions. It's quite possible they have dealt with it all in-house. Not surprising if the NRL don't trust ASADA.
I think the main reason they went straight to the infraction notice for Earl was because he made a complete admission.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back