Crowd violence / violence against women - lip service

Remove this Banner Ad

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Notwithstanding the issues surrounding Adam Goodes this week (and I've made my personal feelings known in the relevant threads), on the weekend there was an all-in brawl at an AFL match and a female fan in the crowd trying to enjoy a game of football ended up being bashed in the head and required medical attention. Where is the media and the AFL making the necessary noise to denounce this and make sure the perpetrators involved are punished and publicly shamed? Violence against women is a sordid issue in our community and this issue on the weekend has been completely lost amid the white noise. How can the AFL make any claims to being concerned about violence against women and then let this issue on the weekend go through to the keeper? Imagine if it was a soccer match - do you think the mainstream media would have remained as silent about it as they have this week?

As much as racism should be stamped out (and I fully support the stance taken by Goodes), I'd have thought violence against women was as critically important an issue to stamp out.

I'm guessing you're referring to this?

If this happens next week and the week after then the game will have an issue. Otherwise it's an aberration that should be dealt with by the clubs, and the stadium staff.

I'm guessing you're referring to this?

If this happens next week and the week after then the game will have an issue. Otherwise it's an aberration that should be dealt with by the clubs, and the stadium staff.

was someone boo-ing someone, and it got out of hand?

haven't heard this story at all. which is probably the main point of your post.

but not sure the violence against women thing totally applies. from how you describe it sounds like the was a brawl (presumably between men) and a woman was caught in the crossfire. more a random unlucky occurrence rather than targeting women specifically.

but you know how these things happen: 'you're team is s**t!', 'no your team is!', 'come here and say it!', push punch etc... i imagine security would have been there within seconds and thrown everyone out. not a whole lot you can do to prevent that.

unless security or the stadium really failed in their duty to provide adequetae security i don't really see what more media attention will achieve.

Notwithstanding the issues surrounding Adam Goodes this week (and I've made my personal feelings known in the relevant threads), on the weekend there was an all-in brawl at an AFL match and a female fan in the crowd trying to enjoy a game of football ended up being bashed in the head and required medical attention. Where is the media and the AFL making the necessary noise to denounce this and make sure the perpetrators involved are punished and publicly shamed? Violence against women is a sordid issue in our community and this issue on the weekend has been completely lost amid the white noise. How can the AFL make any claims to being concerned about violence against women and then let this issue on the weekend go through to the keeper? Imagine if it was a soccer match - do you think the mainstream media would have remained as silent about it as they have this week?

As much as racism should be stamped out (and I fully support the stance taken by Goodes), I'd have thought violence against women was as critically important an issue to stamp out.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bunch of boofhead Pies sit in an area full of Dogs, steal a Dog's fans beanie off the back of his head because they were about to lose, what else did they think would happen? Dogs fans who ran in when they saw a chance for a fight should be banned as well.

Terrible incident especially with so many women and children in the immediate area and of course one of them copped a whack in the crossfire.

Don't see it often so shouldn't be too worried IMO, a stronger security presence would have diffused the situation before it got to that stage.

So you're saying it is an issue because she is a woman? So if a man trying to 'watch a game of footy' got hit in the same way it's totally cool?

Feminism/sexism/reverse-sexism does my head in. Her gender is irrelevant it's not a violence against women issue.
Umm, no. Thread title also references crowd violence. Irrespective, people deserve the right to a safe environment at the footy, which clearly wasn't the case on Sunday otherwise a woman wouldn't have been punched and required medical attention.

I would have expected the AFL to lead the charge condemning this and for the media to follow suit. I guess showing leadership is expecting far too much from the AFL, seeing as they needed Lewis Jetta's intervention on Sunday to actually embarrass them into some sort of action on the Goodes issue.

So in the last couple of days we've had racism, sexism and transsexual threads all on the main board. Probably should make a gay thread as well just to make sure we have all bases covered.
I thought there's a thread about Richmond though?

haven't heard this story at all. which is probably the main point of your post.
Absolutely.

I understand that the woman in question may not have been the specific target of violence for the perpetrator in question. However any situation where a woman is bashed by a man is not acceptable under any circumstances, not least of which when she is in the crowd at a footy match and fully expecting to be in a safe environment doing so.

Violence in sporting crowds is a topic that the media are normally all over, so I find it very surprising that they have completely ignored this story in this particular instance. Especially when the main victim of the violence was a woman. And seeing as it happened on the AFL's watch, I would have expected a press conference and a public condemnation of the incident at the very least. Alas, nothing.....

Absolutely.

I understand that the woman in question may not have been the specific target of violence for the perpetrator in question. However any situation where a woman is bashed by a man is not acceptable under any circumstances, not least of which when she is in the crowd at a footy match and fully expecting to be in a safe environment doing so.

Violence in sporting crowds is a topic that the media are normally all over, so I find it very surprising that they have completely ignored this story in this particular instance. Especially when the main victim of the violence was a woman. And seeing as it happened on the AFL's watch, I would have expected a press conference and a public condemnation of the incident at the very least. Alas, nothing.....

I don't get it.

Shouldn't the attention be on the fact that there was a fight in the crowd at the footy? Regardless of who got hit? The 'main victim' of the violence was not a woman, she was hit by errant fists. You're painting the picture as though she was deliberately attacked.

The violence itself should be condemned, not who was incidentally injured in the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back