Crown Melbourne Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

How have the tournaments fared since coming back (field size/$ up top)?
from what I can work out, they have a $250 one on Wednesday night and a $500 one on Sunday afternoon
1704082750276.png 1704082728015.png

Doesn’t look like results have been uploaded anywhere. I’ve never been in the room when any of the tournaments have been on.

cache.php

This is from 2+2 for one of the Wednesday night tournies - the numbers are relatively massive, especially compared to what the Wednesday nights were like prior to covid.

Sunday is what I'm most interested in though. If this is anything to go by then there could be some juicy prize pools.

I'd love to go play one of the Wednesday games one day, but 1) 10 second shot clock to act is super fast and intimidating, and 2) Crown is a long way to go, and $250 is a big buy in to be eliminated in the first few hands.

More tournaments will be added over the coming weeks. Maybe festivals will return:
April - Crown Poker Championship
August - Melbourne Poker Championships
October - Victorian Poker Championships

An Area Manager on the weekend did hint about the potential for the Aussie Millions. We probably only have 6-8 months to wait as they would start running satellites. I’m sure there’s a few internationals that would be interested in coming out next year. The cash game rake, mandatory breaks and play limits would make them shake their head though.

I doubt many Americans or Euros would come out for a smaller tournament series than the Aussie Millions.

I wonder if Crown would keep a section of the basement for tournament series, because Level 1 would be insufficient for concurrently running large field tournaments and cash games.

Last edited:
An Area Manager on the weekend did hint about the potential for the Aussie Millions. We probably only have 6-8 months to wait as they would start running satellites. I’m sure there’s a few internationals that would be interested in coming out next year. The cash game rake, mandatory breaks and play limits would make them shake their head though.

I doubt many Americans or Euros would come out for a smaller tournament series than the Aussie Millions.

I wonder if Crown would keep a section of the basement for tournament series, because Level 1 would be insufficient for concurrently running large field tournaments and cash games.
Surely poker goes back to the basement of crown once they've done their improvements and upgrades in the area.
Otherwise they need to kick the poker machines and other tables out to make it big enough

Surely poker goes back to the basement of crown once they've done their improvements and upgrades in the area.
Otherwise they need to kick the poker machines and other tables out to make it big enough

If tournaments come back to stay, I could see a world where cash stays up top and tournaments down below.

Honestly, * crown. Used to love going in to donate some money on the poker tables when i have a night off from the family and some spare cash. Also it was one of the things my old man and I always do together when hes in town. Offering $2/$5 as the lowest limit just makes it not viable for so many casual players, also all those people that stumble in for a game after the footy or a big night out just aren't going to have a game to play.

Honestly, * crown. Used to love going in to donate some money on the poker tables when i have a night off from the family and some spare cash. Also it was one of the things my old man and I always do together when hes in town. Offering $2/$5 as the lowest limit just makes it not viable for so many casual players, also all those people that stumble in for a game after the footy or a big night out just aren't going to have a game to play.

Yeah I truly don't get it, especially given the current CoL crisis.

Surely having a 1/3 option with a $200 - $500 buy in range just makes a lot of sense.

Flip side I guess is that it might be one of the only good things that will help regs, even if only for the short term.

That rake though is just unbeatable.

It is disappointing that in a very short period of time:
  • 1/2 NLH dropped
  • 1/3 NLH dropped
  • min buy-ins increased
  • max buy-ins doubled
  • mandatory breaks introduced
  • maximum daily play introduced
  • maximum weekly play introduced
  • rake increased by 66%
It’s bad for new players, it’s bad for regs wanting new players to give poker a go and to come back a few times. $300 is a lot of money for a young person sitting down for the very first time, and they have little chance of keeping it let alone leaving with a profit.

One positive is the move to Level 1 which improves the visibility of poker to many people that would have never visited let alone known where the basement poker room was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will they ever return 1/2 or 1/3 poker to crown if they make a room bigger or something? it frikkin sucks you need like at least 500 basically to play each night... and the tournaments are obviously so much commission.. pretty annoying:(

It is disappointing that in a very short period of time:
  • 1/2 NLH dropped
  • 1/3 NLH dropped
  • min buy-ins increased
  • max buy-ins doubled
  • mandatory breaks introduced
  • maximum daily play introduced
  • maximum weekly play introduced
  • rake increased by 66%
It’s bad for new players, it’s bad for regs wanting new players to give poker a go and to come back a few times. $300 is a lot of money for a young person sitting down for the very first time, and they have little chance of keeping it let alone leaving with a profit.

One positive is the move to Level 1 which improves the visibility of poker to many people that would have never visited let alone known where the basement poker room was.

Very hard to disagree with any of this.

I must admit though, I preferred the basement. Something about having your "own" little area, going down the escalators like a fighter entering the arena and not having rubber neckers constantly swarming around you (apart from rail tables). Where abouts have they moved it to if you can describe it?

1/2 NLH was dropped about 10 months ago. Then they doubled the max buy-in on 1/3 NLH and 2/5 NLH, before dropping 1/3 NLH (and 1/3 PLO) in October. The minimum buy-in at 2/5 NLH is $300 and that could be a lot for a player’s first time. And if you’re buying in short and play timid, you’re very likely to bust.

Not to be forgotten is the horrendous 10% rake which was increased from $15 to $25.

1/2 NLH was dropped about 10 months ago. Then they doubled the max buy-in on 1/3 NLH and 2/5 NLH, before dropping 1/3 NLH (and 1/3 PLO) in October. The minimum buy-in at 2/5 NLH is $300 and that could be a lot for a player’s first time. And if you’re buying in short and play timid, you’re very likely to bust.

Not to be forgotten is the horrendous 10% rake which was increased from $15 to $25.
That's s**t.. considering alot of people start at the low tables and work there way up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back