Teams Dallas Cowboys - America's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the Martin pick, but I'm a bit concerned that Dallas will have too much money tied into the O-line. Suppose as long as they protect Romo and Murray and help the team win, that's all that matters. Dallas could potentially have a beast O-line, potentially a return to the days of the great wall.

If we ever get our salary cap in order, that O-Line would be a hell of a drawcard if we were to ever poach a quality quarterback from another team when Romo's days are up.

"Come to Dallas and ply your trade behind the O-Line equivalent of the Great Wall of China".

Looking at Rd 4 i have a close eye on Telvin Smith but he may be off the board come our turn and i doubt we trade up for him.

IF Smith is gone i really want Caraun Reid who has is loaded with upside and still growing with stacks of improvement in him who is a real draft sleeper.

If both of these guys are gone i think we should go CB.

Looking at Rd 4 i have a close eye on Telvin Smith but he may be off the board come our turn and i doubt we trade up for him.

IF Smith is gone i really want Caraun Reid who has is loaded with upside and still growing with stacks of improvement in him who is a real draft sleeper.

If both of these guys are gone i think we should go CB.

Telvin Smith (Florida St) shapes up to be the new Ray Lewis calibre LB and clearly pound for pound the steal of the draft on defense by this lowdown.

Fiery on-field emotional leader. Plays with passion and it shows -- beelines to the ball and brings energy to the defense. Very good eyes, anticipation and instincts -- sniffs out screens, takes good cut-off angles and negotiates through traffic easily. Plays downhill and often arrives behind the line of scrimmage before ball carriers see him. Outstanding functional football-playing speed. Fluid mover. Outstanding closing speed to the ball. Reliable open-field tackler -- runs through contact. Good coverage skill -- shadows receivers and has a feel for zones. Very likeable, gregarious personality that can unite a locker room and command the LB group. Has been very durable (despite lack of thickness). Has learned what it means to work, and football comes easy to him.

source: NFL.com

Bad news for the Cowboys is that the Eagles & Redskins have the first two picks of R4.

Not real happy with Hitchins in Rd 4 after we passed on both of Smith and Reid. :mad:

Hitchins is a massive reach IMO was projected to be a 7th rounder or UDFA.

It got better in Rd5 with Devin Street the WR from Pittsburgh in which we traded up in the 5th to get him by giving one of our many 7th rd selections away. He has great hands and never drops balls and the highlights show excellent hands, awareness and body control, even going down for low catches...impressive for 6'4". Looks like a true zone buster, and any time you are the all time receptions leader at an established school like Pittsburgh, you can play. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014dal.php

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

16. Zack Martin, G/OT, Notre Dame: B Grade
So much for Johnny Manziel being the pick. He was never a realistic option, though this is a bit of an upset in that the Cowboys aren't upgrading the third-worst defense of all time (according to yardage allowed). However, this pick still makes sense. The Cowboys needed a guard upgrade for 2014 and a future right tackle if they can't retain Doug Free. Zack Martin was expected to go around the 12th pick, so there's a decent amount of value here. Having said that, Jones may regret not upgrading his stop unit when the Eagles, Redskins and Giants all put up 30 on his team.

34. Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State: C+ Grade
The Cowboys lost the trade because they gave up a valuable third-round pick to move up to No. 34. I guess they were concerned that the Falcons would select him. This pick obviously makes sense from a needs standpoint because Dallas is desperate at defensive end after losing DeMarcus Ware. He also fits the range. I'd like this pick a lot more if the Cowboys didn't give up so much.

119. Anthony Hitchens, LB, Iowa: JOHNNY MILLEN Grade
And the first UDFA prospect is off the board. No surprise, given who's making the pick. I heard zero buzz about Anthony Hitchens, so I'm sure many teams expected to sign him after the draft. Jerry Jones needs a GM.

146. Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh: B Grade
Someone stop the presses because Jerry Jones didn't reach for a change. The Cowboys wanted another receiver after losing Miles Austin-Jones, so this selection makes sense.

231. Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford: A- Grade
The Cowboys had to spend multiple picks on defensive ends, given the lack of talent they have at the position. Ben Gardner would have gone earlier if it wasn't for an injury, so I like this value. It feels weird writing that about a Dallas pick.

238. Will Smith, OLB, Texas Tech: C Grade
And the Cowboys are back to picking undraftable players. It's nice to know that hell hasn't frozen over.

248. Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor: A+ Grade
OK, so maybe hell has frozen over after all. Ahmad Dixon was viewed by some as a third-round prospect. I don't understand how he and some others - Marcus Roberson, Christian Jones, Antonio Richardson - have lasted this long. But the Cowboys can't complain because they're getting a steal and potentially filling a position of need.

251. Ken Bishop, DT, Northern Illinois: B+ Grade
I was told Ken Bishop would generate some interest in Round 6, perhaps even the frame before that. With that in mind, the Cowboys are getting decent value at a position that absolutely needs to be strengthened.

254. Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon: A Grade
All eyes are on Michael Sam, but no one is paying attention to the fact that Jerry Jones is absolutely on fire in the seventh round. One team thought Terrance Mitchell would go in the Round 3-4 area, so Dallas getting him here is pretty amazing.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014dal.php

Our 7th round selections are amazing and fill so many needs. :thumbsu:

I am rapt with our draft except for the Hitchens pick but maybe our scouts know more then we do!

Overall i rate our draft as a solid B+ and nearly an A!!

Looks like we reached in the fourth. Hard to tell as I don't follow college football and lord knows scouts have been wrong in the past. Hopefully he goes out there and becomes a solid player for us.

Undrafted talent getting swooped up and we have landed.....

J.C Copeland a massive FB.

Whaley a guy i wanted to draft in the 7th.

Najvar a project TE.

Ben Malena RB from Texas A&M.

Last edited:
Would like to see us run a FB again. The briefest of moments where we had a running game was when we had that FB a couple of years ago who wound up having concussion issues. Went down hill after he left. If he can roll out and catch a few passes then could be useful for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am rapt with our draft except for the Hitchens pick but maybe our scouts know more then we do!

Overall i rate our draft as a solid B+ and nearly an A!!

You'd hope scouts know more.. :D Already rating the draft a solid B+ ?? let the dust settle and give them a full season then come back and tell us what you really think. It's meaningless to rate 'em now. I recall questioning the Seahawks with their lack of WR drafting in 2012 and then in 2013, they drafted one and still cut the f**** before the season started… reaping in FA's in 2012 was their subtle plan and it paid off as we all know. You can just never tell how the worm turns in the NFL on a year to year basis. Dallas can be a smokee special for a SB run IF much of their rookies find their spot immediately. It's a fine line between winning and losing in this league.

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...cowboys-have-affinity-for-boise-state-players
“We like Boise guys,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We always take a hard look at where the player has played, what kind of program (it is) and what that program is all about. They do a great job up there. It's a very competitive program. The players that come out of there compete; they play hard. We've got two of them, so we feel really good about how this guy has learned to play football and the environment he's been in.”

Garrett acknowledged the chip-on-the-shoulder factor. Executive vice president Stephen Jones mentioned another factor.

“They play with a hot motor,” Jones said. “Their motor runs high and I think that attracts people in the NFL. To play in our game, to play in the NFL you've got to have a passion for it and you've got to play every play and I think they get coached that way out there from the start out in Boise. So you see a lot of that in them and it's easy to start to like a guy. Obviously when you see some players and maybe they're not as coached up then you start to see a lot of plays off and this and that, then you start to downgrade a player. You've got to give it to them. We've looked at a lot of their guys the last 3-4 years and turn on tape and they're rolling.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...cowboys-have-affinity-for-boise-state-players

Miles Austin has been picked up by the Browns. I was excited that we were thinking about bringing him back with a much smaller contract. Wouldn't have been bad depth.

The Cleveland Browns have finally addressed their thinning receiving corps.

The team announced Thursday that it added free-agent pass-catchers Miles Austin and Earl Bennett

The news comes one day after Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he would "absolutely" welcome Austin back in Dallas. With Austin, talent has never been a question. He's been a very productive receiver if and when he's healthy -- and that's always been a big if.

Austin is just 29, but an assortment of lingering ailments have kept him off the field and contributed greatly to his departure from the Cowboys in March. Bennett, who has just 185 career catches in six seasons with the Bears, was released by the team this offseason after refusing to take a pay cut.

Last edited:
I hope signed UDFA L'Damian Washington makes the final roster for the Cowboys. Could be a handy depth for WR, plus he deserves some success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back