Universal Love Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

On behalf of supporters from every other club (all of whom seem to have a strong dislike for Essendon):

THANK YOU DAN HOUSTON!

That kick was boner material!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic media has spoken:

I'm gonna get about 800 dislikes for this one but honestly I'm fine with it. Both goals were really special, its a shame they happened in the same week.

I’m often a believer that the match context shouldn’t come into consideration for goal of the year. Mainly cause I’m still bitter about Newnes getting all the plaudits and finishing top 3 when Gray’s was pretty equal in difficulty. But just quietly Darcy Wilmot kicked a ripper in Gather Round vs North right in front of me and I was shocked it didn’t win goal of the round over Langford kicking what was I guess the sealer but was a pretty normal goal. I guess the problem might have been Mt Barker not having all the cameras that a standard venue has but he was leading it for me up until this week. I’d go Elliott in 1st place now and Houston up to 2nd only because I’m biased.

I’m often a believer that the match context shouldn’t come into consideration for goal of the year. Mainly cause I’m still bitter about Newnes getting all the plaudits and finishing top 3 when Gray’s was pretty equal in difficulty. But just quietly Darcy Wilmot kicked a ripper in Gather Round vs North right in front of me and I was shocked it didn’t win goal of the round over Langford kicking what was I guess the sealer but was a pretty normal goal. I guess the problem might have been Mt Barker not having all the cameras that a standard venue has but he was leading it for me up until this week. I’d go Elliott in 1st place now and Houston up to 2nd only because I’m biased.

I reckon it should be a factor, but not the main one. It was a ripper kick but if it happens in the second quarter it's just a nice goal and not even close to nominated.

If you have two goals that are similar level of difficulty but one's meaningless and one is a match turner, then obviously take that into account.

For goal of the year, we give way to much kudos to players who do lucky snaps and gimmicky goals. Ie the Charlie Cameron goal.

I think Wingards goal was the most difficult and impressive of the lot as he meant every aspect of that goals.

The umpires should hand the player the footy as a souvenir when something like this happens. Imagine future Dan being able to show his kids/grandkids the actual footy that he kicked that night. Instead it probably got taken off with the umpires and put in a bag with the rest of the footys never to be seen again.

Lloyd winning goal of the year for the little backwards thing from 2m out over motlop's 50m reverse inside out banana torp on the boundary is the biggest travesty of justice the AFL has ever seen
I reckon Andrew Walker not winning mark of the year was a bigger farce. His mark is one the most iconic of the past 30 years, up there with Shaun Smith and Gary Moorcroft. * knows how they picked Krakouers over that.

But yeah, Lloyd's shouldn't have even counted, was either a drop or a throw before he kicked it.

The umpires should hand the player the footy as a souvenir when something like this happens. Imagine future Dan being able to show his kids/grandkids the actual footy that he kicked that night. Instead it probably got taken off with the umpires and put in a bag with the rest of the footys never to be seen again.
Blokes like Josh Rachele or Cody Weightman would demand a footy every single week...

All this discussion, and Josh Kelly's match winning goal from 15m further out in the wet, better than the lot, doesn't even rate a mention.
There’s something about after the siren goals, the drama is higher because there’s not going to be another disposal for the rest of the match, it mostly comes down to how the kick pans outs. But I think a match winning goal late in a game probably requires a bit more skill than just kick accuracy considering you may need to evade players and the fact that there isn’t a relatively unlimited timer for how long you can take since the siren could go at any second. It’s an interesting discussion to be had but it doesn’t surprise me that an after the siren goal gets way more attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back