Delisted Daniel McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

For a very outside player, he definitely crashes in hard when required. Also good one on one

Very similar to Jimmy Webster with offensive/defensive capability

And although outside... Is not soft
Watched the TAC GF during the week and the thing that stuck out for me is that he's really not particularly outside. That's not a bad thing - if our "ins" and "in/outs" have pace like that then kudos to us.

Perhaps related to his role, which was virtually deep back on the resting Cannons stars (Ahern and Miller). Really does put his body on the line and reads the play well. He didn't have a heap given that role, but he basically just does everything right. Not sure he finishes a winger or mid. He reminds me a lot of Hibberd, but obviously better foot skills and extremely quick. Same good one on one defender that plays quite tall and wins contests. But if that's "all" he is, then that ain't so bad. Very reliable defender and provides good run.

He is the one that I'm dying to hear from the club about - what do they see him becoming etc and what are their early perceptions. The others seem quite clear in what they are/will become.

Hugh Goddard says hello....McKenzie was always going to be available at 21/22 from all accounts.

Great pickup, no doubt there....but steal of the draft belongs to Goddard
To be fair, D-Mac was linked to Adelaide @ pick 14, leading up to the draft.

Steal of the draft by the length of Flemington's straight! D Mac will be a star

Basis?

One thing is to say he will be good but steal of the draft does need a bit more explaining

He is the one that I'm dying to hear from the club about - what do they see him becoming etc and what are their early perceptions. The others seem quite clear in what they are/will become.
Took me about a year of asking through Twitter but I eventually got an answer to where Wright will eventually be playing, together we can find out about McKenzie.

An alliance?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417993156.241238.jpg

I was chatting to one of the 2014 Stingrays players yesterday and I asked him about McKenzie. He said that he was very impressed with McKenzie when they played against the Chargers and he thinks he's going to be a very good player. When I asked him about Lonie he said that Lonie is "an absolute gun" and he has no doubt that once he gets AFL fit he will be able to run through the middle as well as play closer to goal as he did this year.

So it is starting to sound like we have picked up a couple of excellent long-term players at pretty reasonable draft picks.
Just watching their respective highlights, they both look very quick and they both appear to be very 'hard at it' types. We are gradually building a core of tough, hard-running players, and McKenzie and Lonie will compliment our list nicely.

Took me about a year of asking through Twitter but I eventually got an answer to where Wright will eventually be playing, together we can find out about McKenzie.

An alliance?

View attachment 96443

Giddy up.

So that's Nafe Wright? Do share! See him as a defender, but always wondered if he had the capacity to use his pace and contested ball winning in the middle.

Giddy up.

So that's Nafe Wright? Do share! See him as a defender, but always wondered if he had the capacity to use his pace and contested ball winning in the middle.
According to Ameet the plan is midfield eventually.

Hugh Goddard says hello....McKenzie was always going to be available at 21/22 from all accounts.

Great pickup, no doubt there....but steal of the draft belongs to Goddard
Good call! might of got a bit excited after watching Daniel's highlights! HG is definitely one of the best steals in recent years for the Saints!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Fisher at 55 in a weak draft. Go through that draft, there's about 3 players Id take before Fisher if it was run again... And that's with me being very harsh on Fisher!

What about Milney?

rookie pick and arguably the best small forward the game has seen.
thought we were only considering the national draft, milne definitely takes the cake for biggest steal if we are including the rookie draft.

For anyone interested I watched the TAC Cup GF the other day (before we picked up Sinclair which I'm filthy about so didn't take any notice of him). Like someone said the other day McKenzie did some shutdown roles in the backline which didn't allow him to get as much of the ball as you'd like but when he did get it he was very good apart from one ordinary kick, and he's definitely not just an outside player. Goes in hard for the ball on the ground and in the air. Can remember 2-3 ripper kicks.

In 2018 when people re-do the 2014 I believe mckenzie will be in the top 5-6 players.

No evidence on this whatsoever just a feeling. Love the way he goes about it.
I do too. I can't wait to track his progress in depth

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about McKenzie:

Average 16 disp, 3 tackles and a combined 4 i50/rebound 50s in the TAC cup last year.

He was inconsistent - collecting 20+ disposals in four matches but fewer than 13 five times.

Had a disposal effiencey of 78% - ranked second at the Chargers of any player to play more than 3 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back