Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay: "We're building to something special"

"I think we're a pretty tight group; most of us being from interstate, we need each other," McStay said at the Monday morning recovery session.

"We still are a building club.

"Look at our spine, Harris Andrews in his first year, we've got five blokes in their second year.

"I don't think there's a crisis at the moment. I think we're still a young team, we've got a lot to improve on. We're building to something special and we've got the spine to do that."

Watching him on Saturday night I could see some Jack Reiwoldt in the way he moves. More games like that and I'm comfortable to say he's a forward more than a backman.

I'm more than happy to have him in the forward line. Will enjoy watching him develop into our next JB.....if he's given the chance.

...just leave him there please Leppa.

Surely made the grade,big relief as we don't need many misses.

It's probably now just a matter of how good.Going to be fun to watch if he can get to a lot of contests and take a few clean grabs.His finishing looks 8/10 as well.

Didnt kick a goal on the weekend but effort was definitely there. If he can keep performing and keep his effort up then he should finish the year off strongly. Just looks a natural footballer which is what close lacks.

Didnt kick a goal on the weekend but effort was definitely there. If he can keep performing and keep his effort up then he should finish the year off strongly. Just looks a natural footballer which is what close lacks.
just attacks the ball jumps at it and isnt afraid to crash through people even though he doesnt have much size yet, if we can get him playing as the third tall and him actually improving his endurance and providing defensive pressure we can seriously have a game changing player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait to see him hold a speckie. I had the feeling when Talia was on him he was trying to drag him away from the play but later on with Bourke closer to goals it made it tough for him.

I think our Pagan's paddock gameplan doesn't really suit key forwards but I'd like to see him getting more of the ball up the field and even offer some overlap run.

just attacks the ball jumps at it and isnt afraid to crash through people even though he doesnt have much size yet, if we can get him playing as the third tall and him actually improving his endurance and providing defensive pressure we can seriously have a game changing player
I think in the second quarter of the crows game when he went up for the grab and it went threw his hands to smack him on the head he was the first to put pressure on the next person with the ball. Surprised me a lot. But totally agree he has massive upside and if we get Tippett or Dixon would release the pressure a touch so he can get a good jump at things.

Last edited:
There are guys who fly for the mark and generally land on their feet. McStay is starting to show that ability more and more.

Watching him on the weekend, I don't think he is far off another good performance. Too often, his opponent gets to initiate contact with him which puts him off balance just enough to spoil his attack on the contest. He's obviously most comfortable having a free run and jump at the footy but those opportunities don't come up too often. I think he just needs to get a bit smarter with getting an early bump on his opponent and then using his pace and agility to get a bit of space. He did this a couple of times last weekend and it bought him the little bit of space he needed. If he can be a bit more proactive in that regard, I think he'll get to more marking contests.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/07-15/shaken-swans-might-renege-on-revenge-campaign

Crackers suggesting McStay may be leaving...comparing it to Gunston trade.

obozo1.jpg

Contracted for two more years after this one. My impression from his Inside Football column is that Crackers just throws s**t at walls and hopes some sticks.
The only part of this that may be true is the clubs chasing him part, as I have heard this rumour a couple of times now in the last 2 weeks, but given Steele Tallon (someone who would probably know the truth) said he would run naked through Brisbane if McStay left this year, I highly doubt he is going anywhere!

Think Crackers is way off the mark here. My mail is that McStay is very happy in Brisbane, and aint going nowhere. He's a kid of the highest quality character, and if that's what he says then I take that as fact.

I've followed him closely and would love it if he was keen on heading back down south, but from what I'm told that is not the case at all.

Yeah, his dad did come off as a really nice guy. I also thought it was pretty interesting and impressive that Dan didn't just imitate his Dad and load up with ink. I have no feelings about tattoos either way: some look great, some don't. It did strike me though that they were both so comfortable with how he and his dad had different preferences and both of them were totally comfortable with that. Inasmuch as you can tell from a short, edited clip it seemed like a pretty supportive relationship, and that's great.

His old man is one of the best blokes you could ever know. Just as an aside, he's also the best tattooist in the country, not only in my opinion but in the eyes of many.

Think Crackers is way off the mark here. My mail is that McStay is very happy in Brisbane, and aint going nowhere. He's a kid of the highest quality character, and if that's what he says then I take that as fact.

I've followed him closely and would love it if he was keen on heading back down south, but from what I'm told that is not the case at all.

His old man is one of the best blokes you could ever know. Just as an aside, he's also the best tattooist in the country, not only in my opinion but in the eyes of many.

This is why I like Hawks supporters. People like yourself and that guy with Spangher as his display pic post good quality posts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back