Injury Daniel Menzel - Ankle ligament tear

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't use him as the sub, at least not early in his return anyway - if he is deemed fit enough to play senior football then either start him on the ground or start him on the bench where he will be on within the first 5 minutes; he would be that nervous (as will the crowd) that I would rather see him have an early opportunity to get his hands on the ball and have the ability to control his amount of game time by baring injury being able to pick when he is subbed off.
Just not sure that using a (very) long term injured player as sub, at least early in their return is the smartest option.

So let's say Daniel Menzel plays VFL for however many weeks, absolutely setting the world on fire after a ridiculously cautious amount of time, and gets his AFL call up -

How many weeks do we play him as the sub for?

None. If he has played let's say 6 VFL games his fitness should be pretty good. And by that I mean full games - full contact, twisting, turning, getting knocked around - and he's showing no ill effects, and still in good form, then he doesn't need to be the sub.

I've got no issue if in his first few VFL games he barely leaves the goalsquare; that's reasonable. But they shouldn't expect to promote him to the seniors unless he's getting his hands dirty just like everyone else. Build up the fitness slowly, build up the involvement slowly, and once he's fully involved, copping just as many tackles and bumps as everyone else, then he can play.

Agree completely and as Fred mentioned why then put his fitness at risk by playing him as the sub for 2 months.

The brutal truth of it all is they need to push him and risk breaking him when he is back and ready, no point him playing 20 mins be week to protect him, he is either right to play or he isn't...

And there is no guarantee (despite the optimism of many here) that he will even perform well enough to get back in the seniors, or to then hold his spot... only need to look at how Morrabito went this year, but I'd be pretty sure Menz would be fine with playing only a few AFL games and plenty of VFL ones if it meant a full year on the park

If he's knee is gonna go, it's gonna go no matter what sort of intensity he's playing at.

At this stage I keep telling myself expect nothing as I'm too conditioned for disappointment with the poor bugger now.

The one big positive is that Menzel might be one of only a handful that don't share my pessimism.

Basically that thread is you talking to yourself about Dan Menzel's issues :D:p
Nothing wrong with talking to yourself, the problem is if you start answering yourself:D.... You're not answering yourself are you manboob :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back