Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers Cynic. We've had quite a few come on here and tell us how he's going to get torn a new one, only to find out he's very hard to score against. Even against Hawthorn I thought he did a reasonable job against formidable opponents getting quality delivery. He's a no frills player but that's basically what you want from a full back anyway. His offensive skills are improving, but still require a lot more work to be among the best key defenders in the competition. But yeah, definitely a tick.

You could probably mark that down as a tick.

I think he was one of Mark Browning's talent identification squad boys. Browning has been targeting big athletes in other sports and getting them to draft camps and play AFLQ games. Merrett played state level volleyball (hence the punch/spoil skills) and a bit of rugby.

Brad Moran at North (soccer), Kurt Tippett at the Crows (state rep basketball) are others that he come to mind. All are late AFL starters with potentially big upsides.

merrettzn1.jpg

Merrett got 20 disposals today, but I thought it was one of his poorer games. Sydney zoned off him allowing him to get possession and his lack of skills were exposed. He was also lucky Hall only kicked 1.5.

Merrett re-signs

Lions' star signing
Andrew Hamilton
September 04, 2007 12:00am
h14_thecouriermail.gif

0,,5638579,00.jpg

THE Brisbane Lions have secured another prized signature, with Daniel Merrett committing his future to the club.

Merrett was a revelation this season in the key defensive post, conceding just 38 goals in 22 games opposed to the opposition's best big forwards.

He answered the Lions' call for a regular long-term fullback after the departure of 201-game veteran Mal Michael last year.

Brisbane has a strict policy of not commenting on contracts, but it is believed Merrett has earned a significant pay rise and has signed for a further two years.

He joined the club via pick 30 in the 2002 draft, the same year Jared Brennan (3), Troy Selwood (19) and Anthony Corrie (44) arrived.

It took him a bit longer to establish himself. Brennan has played 59 games and Selwood (47) leads Merrett by one, but the fullback was one of just six Lions to play all 22 games this year.

He was seen as a project player when he arrived, having spent most of his youth playing rugby on the Gold Coast, and in his first four years at the club was groomed as a forward and back-up ruckman.

But the loss of Michael and Justin Leppitsch within a few months of each other last year left a gaping hole in defence and the 22-year-old was identified as the man to fill it.

Merrett said he didn't understand the significance at the time but Michael, the three-time premiership fullback, gave him some handy advice about finding his feet in the AFL.

"I didn't know at the time he was going to leave, but late in the year he said to me there is nothing like being thrown in the deep end and having to swim your way out," he said.

"I've enjoyed the challenge week in and week out.

"Going up forward didn't really work, but I think down back really suits me and suits my capabilities."

Merrett wasn't about to go overboard about his efforts this season.

"I'm just happy to have found a spot in the team where I'm comfortable, fit in and feel like I can contribute," he said.

"Also, just getting through 22 games is a big achievement for me."

Merrett's was the sort of contract negotiations clubs love – he was a required player who was happy where he was and had no desire to test his value in the market.

"I'm signed up. I'm from the Gold Coast and this is ideal for me," he said. "The club knows that and I'm happy to stay."

Although not a high-profile player, Merrett was a priority for the Lions who see him as the leader of the club's young defence and a 10-year fullback.

Onya strawb!

Merrett's was the sort of contract negotiations clubs love – he was a required player who was happy where he was and had no desire to test his value in the market.

Respect to that. Apart from being loyal it sounds like he's fairly well grounded too.

Was probably a little lucky to stay on the list last year and is now probably one of the 10 most important players for our future... a great turn around and great to see him commit to the club!

He's a Jauncey 'thinker-feeler' special... he will be a happy Lion as long as he continues to feel valued by the club.

Link

2007 Merrett-Murray Medal Top Ten
Jonathan Brown - 68.0
Jed Adcock - 62.5
Tim Notting - 52.5
Luke Power - 51.0
Simon Black - 48.5
Nigel Lappin - 48.5
Cheynee Stiller - 45.5
Daniel Merrett - 44.0
Robert Copeland - 43.0
Joel Patfull - 42.0

Other awards
Best Defender - Daniel Merrett
Most Improved Player - Daniel Merrett

merretten7.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

End of season report: Brisbane
4:14 PM Mon 8 October, 2007
By Simon White
for lions.com.au

Coach's award (player who does the one-percenters): Week after week Daniel Merrett accepted tough gigs against the AFL’s best full-forwards. And week after week, he gave them no quarter, usually seeing off the passes intended for them with a trademark fist into the crowd. The AFL doesn’t hand out an award for the best spoiler but Merrett would be an early favourite if they did. The emerging full-back, who doesn’t turn 23 until December, is strong, quick, eager to learn and developing impressively.

merrettay5.jpg

After Brennan has put a million dollar price tag on his head, it makes you appreciate guys like Merrett who aren't trying to squeeze every cent out of the club.

After Brennan has put a million dollar price tag on his head, it makes you appreciate guys like Merrett who aren't trying to squeeze every cent out of the club.
Exactly Grim and they are the players that keep the team together.
We need more of them.

End of Season Player Review

Daniel Merrett came into 2007 as a failed forward with 3 games as a defender under his belt. But with the retirements of Mal and Leppa, and a season ending injury to Bradshaw, he loomed as our only genuine option to take on the gorilla forwards of the competition. For someone who many were calling to be delisted last year, this was as big a throwing in the deep end as you could imagine.

But Big Red hit the ground running, conceding 0 goals and 12 disposals in his first two games. With his tremendous closing speed he was consistently able to get a spoil on the ball, and the Merrett fist was a developing a reputation of its own. Merrett had a few off days throughout the year, but he never had more than 4 kicked on him, and after playing all 22 games he had conceded just 38 goals and led the competition in spoils.

The flaw in his game however was when he had the ball in hand, and he made a few embarrassing stuff ups, especially early in the year. But while he still has plenty of room to improve in this area, he can be pleased that this part of his game got better as the year went on. He has also been criticised for not marking the ball enough, but personally I am happy for him to take the disciplined approach and keep punching the ball over the sideline.

Daniel Merrett, who finished 8th in the B&F, has been one of the biggest success stories for the Lions in 2007, and is now one of our most important players. At 22 years of age, and still yet to play 50 games he looks set to be penciled in as fullback for the best part of the next 10 years.

merrettlk9.jpg

Link

Merrett keeps his focus on improvement
8:56 AM Thu 13 December, 2007
By Simon White
for lions.com.au

LIONS full back Daniel Merrett reckons he has been called just about every name possible by opposition fans - not that he’s especially bothered.
The powerfully built Gold-Coast product acknowledges he is in the business of disappointing opposition supporters by putting the brakes on their key forwards.
As such, whatever “advice” they choose to give him is more than likely a back-handed compliment.
"I’ve copped a fair bit of stick at full back but I actually find it pretty funny,” Merrett told lions.com.au.
"I think the opposition fans realise they probably won’t be able to yell hard enough to be heard by the players in the middle of the ground so they just concentrate on the nearest guy – and that’s usually me.
"I tend to ignore it and just get on with what I’m doing. It probably means I’m doing my job and, at full back, when you talk back is normally where it comes back to bit you in the bum.”
Merrett might choose to bite his tongue, but his efforts in the last two years have definitely established him as one of the most effective quiet achievers in the competition.
After coming to defensive prominence with impressive back-to-back efforts on Barry Hall and Nick Riewoldt in the last two games of 2006, Merrett was a mainstay of the Lions’ defence in 2007.
A top-10 finish in the club champion award, reflected the quality of a season in which Merrett curtailed the likes of Fraser Gehrig, Matthew Pavlich, Brendan Fevola and Anthony Rocca.
"I really enjoy competing against those kinds of players,” Merrett said.
"There’s no better way to improve yourself as a footballer than by playing on those blokes and I always look forward to it.
"Every now and then I’m going to find myself on the wrong side of things and I’m going to have a bag kicked on me, but that’s all part of the game and learning.”
One opponent Merrett has learnt plenty from is Swans full-forward Hall.
Merrett held the three-time All-Australian to only two goals in round 21, 2006 and then kept him goalless in round 19 last season.
In between, however, Hall broke through to kick 4.4 in the clash between the Lions and the Swans at the SCG in April.
"I think Barry Hall is probably the toughest opponent I’ve had,” Merrett said.
"The last time I played on him in Sydney, there were all kinds of doubts on him coming in with a groin injury and then he came out and pretty much pulled my pants down.
"He’s strong and quick and really fit – playing on him is about as tough as it gets. You give him even the slightest bit of space and it can cost you a couple of goals.”
Merrett, who turned 23 on Wednesday, hopes to make life even tougher for opposing full forwards in 2008 by continuing to develop the attacking element of his own game.

merrettcm4.jpg

Liked the sound of this bit:

Merrett, who turned 23 on Wednesday, hopes to make life even tougher for opposing full forwards in 2008 by continuing to develop the attacking element of his own game.

Was funny when Merrett was talking about beating the 20 and 40 metre records.

They were the perfect runs, he was just in the zone.

Has refused to try them again since!

Now that Leuenberger has beaten his 20m record maybe it's time for him to come out of retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back