Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

He may have saved Voss's career with the early line-in-the-sand aggression in the Bombers game.

It's a bit of a dilemma. If he didn't set the tone that week, would we have beaten Essendon?

If we didn't beat Essendon, would we have had the confidence to take it to Carlton?

During the telecast when they did crosses to the coaches box Daniel was seen a couple of time. Looked very smart in his suit. And prehaps a little sheepish.

If I'm not wrong, he was also offering advice to the assistant coaches who would then run down to relay the message. Is a suspended player not allowed to sit near the interchange benches?

During the telecast when they did crosses to the coaches box Daniel was seen a couple of time. Looked very smart in his suit. And prehaps a little sheepish.
A bit like Anthony Rocca during the 2003 Grand Final.

Fullback Daniel Merrett will join Brown as a reinforcement after serving a three-week ban for a sling tackle on Essendon's Michael Hurley in round 8. Merrett will have no time to ease into his customary role in the last line of defence with Cats spearhead Tom Hawkins requiring close attention.

"Their forwards are very dangerous so it will be great to have 'Rodge' (Merrett) back where he belongs," Brown said. "We lost our goal-to-goal line there for a few weeks but all of us are back now so hopefully that will hold us in good stead against a top-class opposition."

I need to stay aggressive: Merrett
June 22, 2013
Michael Whiting

HE'S learnt a harsh lesson, but Brisbane Lions full-back Daniel Merrett says he'll stay aggressive when returning from suspension against Geelong on Sunday.

Merrett was rubbed out for three matches following a sling tackle on Essendon's Michael Hurley in round eight.

He said while feeling a touch of guilt for leaving the Lions a key member short for three matches, his tackle set the standard for the win over the Bombers.

Merrett said he felt disappointed more than guilty."There's no room for sling tackles in the game and I've learned that the hard way," Merrett said.

"I'll have to adapt the way I tackle and I've learned my lesson.

"That's (aggressive) how I've got to play. I'm a big bloke in the team and that's what I'm here to do. That's when I play my best footy, when I'm aggressive.

"I've always been told by the coaches, play like a big bloke."

287394-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Groin grind sidelines Brisbane defender Daniel Merrett
30 June 2013
Greg Davis

BRISBANE will almost certainly be without key defender Daniel Merrett for Saturday's Q Clash 6 against Gold Coast at the Gabba after he succumbed to a groin injury.

Merrett missed yesterday's loss to Hawthorn in Launceston after feeling groin tightness at training on Thursday, but it is understood he could have a slight tear and may spend at least two weeks on the sidelines. The 28-year-old did not travel to Tasmania despite being named in the finalised line-up on Friday night.

Lions coach Michael Voss said Merrett would be assessed further today. Merrett has always been a key man in the Queensland derby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett being monitored
2 July 2013
Sam Lord

Daniel Merrett’s late withdrawal from the Brisbane Lions’ side last Sunday proved a huge blow against the AFL’s highest scoring side, Hawthorn. With a crunch game coming up this Saturday against Gold Coast at the Gabba, the Club is hopeful that the full-back will be available to take to the field against the SUNS.

“Rog tweaked his groin in the main training session (last week). We gave him every chance to get up, but in the end we thought it wasn’t right to select him for the senior game,” Strength and Conditioning coach Matt Hass told LIONS TV as part of the Bupa Recovery Report. “We’ll keep a close eye on him this week and give him every chance possible to play against the Gold Coast.”

Merrett won't play in Q-Clash
2 July 2013
Jon Gray

BRISBANE Lions will again be without key defender Daniel Merrett for Saturday's Q-clash 6 against the Suns.

Merrett is battling a groin injury and coach Michael Voss today conceded he was resigned to going into the must-win local derby without his most experienced defender. "I would consider it at this point in time unlikely," Voss said of the defender's availability.

Voss said Merrett would be given a final chance at training on Wednesday but he was preparing for the worst. The game has extra significance for Voss, who is out of contract at the end of the year and has faced scrutiny over his position.

Another surprise was the recall of defender Daniel Merrett who missed last week's loss to Hawthorn with a groin injury.

Earlier in the week, Voss described his chances of playing as "unlikely". McKenna said the Suns were preparing to play the Lions' best 22.

"We watch their training as close as we can and monitor players. You can read into it what you like," McKenna said. "Did he not play last week to line him up for us this week? A sign of disrespect for (dropped Jordan) Lisle? I don't know.

Meanwhile, Brisbane enforcer Daniel Merrett is set to play in the forward line and relieve Matthew Leuenberger in the ruck in his comeback from a groin injury.

The key defender was expected to miss the Sunshine Stoush after being a late withdrawal from the loss to Hawthorn in Launceston last Sunday but was a shock selection on Thursday night after being described as "unlikely'' to play by senior coach Michael Voss earlier in the week.

He trained at the Gabba yesterday and completed most of the session with the main group before splintering off to do a fitness test under the watchful eye of Lions conditioning staff.

Merrett went through a series of drills with ruck coach Jamie Charman at the end of training yesterday as part of his fitness test.

It is understood he pulled up well after training and is expected to play.

The last time Merrett played forward in a QClash, it backfired on Brisbane spectacularly with the Suns forward line getting off the chain and claiming the inaugural Queensland derby in 2011.

The only other Brisbane player GWS would think is a fit for their needs is star fullback Daniel Merrett. It would be a huge issue for Brisbane to consider trading Merrett, just as it would be for Carlton to offer Jamison.

Yet this sort of opportunity doesn't come along often. Merrett is contracted to Brisbane and could veto a move to the Giants. But if they can find a win-win situation for the clubs and the player, it is worth at least considering.

Ah...NO!

Merrett switches things up
8 July 2013
Sam Lord

Full-back Daniel Merrett could become a more regular member of the Lions’ forward line following an impressive display against Gold Coast last Saturday. Merrett kicked two goals playing as a stay-at-home forward after returning to the side ahead of schedule from a groin complaint.

“I was surprised that I got up in the end,” Merrett said during an exclusive interview with LIONS TV after Saturday’s match. “I just got my recovery right and ended up training well all week.”

With Matt Maguire, Justin Clarke and Joel Patfull controlling the defensive half, Merrett was unleashed up forward alongside fellow ‘talls’ Jonathan Brown and Brent Staker. The trio caused all sorts of headaches for the SUNS defenders, combining for eight goals from 10 marks inside 50m.

Merrett_Pumped-article.jpg

He definitely has put together an interesting image of himself.

He definitely has put together an interesting image of himself.

He is seriously self-actualised and comfortable in his own skin. No pretense whatsoever. A very evolved guy.

Gotta love him.

Merrett a defender first
19 July 2013
Sam Lord

Daniel Merrett might have become an important swingman for the Brisbane Lions in recent weeks, but the 28-year-old still considers himself a defender first and foremost.

While Merrett enjoys the occasional change of scenery in attack, he still believes he is more suited to the backline. “I’m not showy enough to be a forward,” Merrett told Dom Fay and Michael Whiting as part of the Round 17 Fancast on LIONS TV. “I need to get a bit of a trademark going (when I celebrate a goal).

Merrett has been named again at full-forward for this Saturday night’s clash with Melbourne. He said the Lions remained focussed on the job at hand, and wouldn’t show any signs of complacency despite going into the match as warm favourites.

Merrett_Adelaide-hero.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back