Retired Daniel Rich #1 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominating contested footy which has been the area he has improved massively despite bigfooty poster or the media not recognising this.

After his first half on the weekend you have to get excited about what another preseason will add to his game. Know that his contested footy is the equal of his uncontested work once he gets his fitness to a Simon Black level where he can run all day he will be very damaging.

Hopefully next year oppositions have huge problems deciding who to tag out of Rich, Rockliff, Redden, Black and Polec.

Round 24 vs Sydney

Rich finished the match as one of the visitors' better players, managing 18 possessions and a goal pitted against the close-checking Ben McGlynn for a fair chunk of the contest.

The 21-year-old from Subiaco was playing just his third game back after missing seven weeks with a foot injury.

Rich said the coaching staff have advised the players to be "smart" during their six to eight weeks off before the pre-season begins.

rich111.jpg

Michael Voss

"That's what give you a lot of excitement in your blood is that over the second half of this year we've seen genuine improvement in a lot of our players and they've come in and had an impact at some stage," an upbeat Voss said.

"Whether it be Patty Karnezis in the back half of the year or even (Daniel) Rich finishing out the season like he has after missing five or six weeks and obviously (Matthew) Leuenberger's advancement."

rich112.jpg

Adrian Fletcher

Richy improved his fitness. The sub rule made it harder for Richy because he had to improve his fitness. But we’re starting to see that he can be a really elite midfielder of the competition through certain games he played during the year. The fitness still needs work but we know that his kicking skills and decision making - there’s not too many better than him in the game.

rich108.jpg

2011 End of Season Review

by Snuka

2010 Review

Games: 16
Goals: 14
Sub: on = 1, off = 0
Emergency: 0
Time on ground: 75%
Best and Fairest: 16 votes (15th)
Dreamteam: 1201 points; $275,100 (-$37,700)
Supercoach: 1256 points; $301,200 (-$79,200)
NEAFL:
Games: 1

Get to the front of him Richy!

Disclaimer: I missed two of his apparently better games against Freo and Gold Coast so may not be completely qualified for this.

Was always going to be tough for Rich to match his brilliant first year and I had hoped that he would get out of the rut he seemed to get himself into last year.

Started off well (from what i’ve heard) with a solid game against Freo (25 possies, 2 goals, 2 B&F votes) but wasn’t near his best for most of the first half of the year. Too often he was waiting for his opponent to get the ball, going for the tackle rather then the hard ball get, a problem that plagued him in 2010. He was probably one of the main culprits when it came to mid group being unable to wrest momentum through lack of running or just being unable to win the ball and impose himself at the stoppages. I would even go as far to say he was a bit of a liability at the centre bounces but he wasn’t alone. Dan never needed to get much footy to have an impact but seemed to be looking for the short kick or handpass more often. Not sure if this was a specific instruction, but the Lion’s inability to give their team mates any sort of space at the clearances or perhaps our lack of a functioning forward line meant that he often had to go the shorter, less direct option.

His game against the Gold Coast (22p, 3.3g, 2.5 votes) was impressive on paper and from eyewitness accounts and played some solid if not spectacular footy in the next month against Essendon and Adelaide. If it seems harsh on him it’s only because I'm such a fan. We know those performances are not as good as his best. A struggling but improving midfield wasn’t able to give him the space he likes and he himself was still finding it tough to win the hard ball as we know he can.

An injury that kept him out for 5 or 6 games seemed to rejuvenate him and the silver lining in all this was that he played some of his best games in the last 2 rounds. You could see that even in the minimal game time he got being subbed on in the 2nd half against the Pies (13 possies) that he’s attack on the ball looked to be back. Played his best game of the year (that I actually saw) the next week against WC (27p, 2g, 7 clearances, 6 I50s, 9 tackles). He looked to be winning more ball, and kicking longer then he had for most of the year. Continued his good form and was among the best in a side that was smashed by Sydney (18p, 1g).

It’s more than the stats in the last couple of rounds that are making me look forward to next year for Dan. He was ferocious at the pill and was winning clean clearances. In 2012 he has got to continue to work on his positioning at the contest and attack on the ball and I hope that Woey and Voss are looking at ways for the midfield group to work together to give him as much space as possible. He is a weapon and if we can get a 4 quarter performance from all our midfielders, we will see just how good he really can be.

richc.jpg

Daniel rich just ran out on the ground for the sprint.

No Reddan today.

Daniel is in the second heat.

Re: Jack Redden in the grand final sprint

Jesus this will really test Richy, probably the area of his game he has been most criticized about!

Well he finished a long way back fifth. GWS youngster win that heat, Patty Dangerfield smashed them in the first heat.

Jack Redden

Daniel rich was caught red handed using the foot wedge today #stilldidntpar

Adrian Fletcher

We also bumped into Richy (Daniel Rich) and a few of the players. We caught Richy kicking his balls out from under the tree - no wonder his handicap’s only 7.

danielrich.jpg

Tom Rockliff

@brisbanelions he will be cheating! Dan rich loves to throw the ball out of the trees or just kick his ball into the clear #cantcount

danielrich2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions midfielder Daniel Rick ready for boom season
  • by: Greg Davis
  • November 10, 2011 12:00AM
With a new two-year deal to stay at the Gabba, the 21-year-old is ready to shoulder a greater load.
"The older you get, the more you have to take on and I'm happy to do that because that's an important part of footy," Rich said. "I didn't have a great year last year and getting injured didn't help.
"This pre-season is a big one for me. I want to get as fit as I can so I can have a good year and help the team."
A streamlined Rich already looks in great shape as the Lions go through their pre-season paces at a week-long camp in Noosa.
Rich is never far from the side of Lions great Simon Black and could not ask for a better role model as he seeks to make the transition from promising young gun to bankable midfield money man.

danielrich.jpg

From everything I've heard of Richy through the media it sounds like he sets really high standards for himself and would would be really disappointed with his last two seasons. Hopefully he can really step up in 2012 and put that damaging left boot to good use.

Daniel Rich on pre-season camp

The last couple of years, from my personal standards, haven't been too good I suppose. There's still a long way to go in terms of my individual thing and team goals, so that's what pre-season is all about. The boys are in good shape and definitely in a good space to start the pre-season.

danielrich.jpg

Matthew Rendell

“The AIS played a game against West Perth in Perth before their trip to South Africa. West Perth had the bye and it was early in the season, so they wanted to play their players. “They fielded a pretty experienced team including players like (ex-Fremantle and Sydney Swans midfielder) Troy Cook and they were a pretty tough team.
“In that game, basically all of the AIS guys were intimidated. I remember watching Nic Naitanui duck his head three times and he wasn’t the only one. They were all doing it with the exception of two blokes … Patty Dangerfield and Daniel Rich.
“Patty and Daniel were the only two, who looked really comfortable playing against the men. It didn’t faze them in the least.
“Rich wasn’t eligible to be drafted until the next year, but I remember telling (recruiting manager) Hamish Ogilvie, ‘you keep an eye on that bloke Dangerfield’.

rich117.jpg

Graham Hadley

“The football world predicted Daniel would be drafted to a West Australian club somewhere inside the top three picks. And even if he wasn’t picked up by either Fremantle or West Coast, four other clubs had selections before us at Pick No.7,” Hadley said.

“The Lions’ recruiting team had obviously done their due diligence on Daniel, but hadn’t done the same extent of research as they had on the other highly rated players because it was considered to be too much of a longshot for him to be available at Pick No.7. The Lions recruiters were not alone in this belief.”

“In this instance, the recruiters had a selection priority order for their first pick. Daniel was highly rated in this order, but was also considered out of our reach. A player of Daniel’s calibre doesn’t present at Pick No.7 in every Draft, so the response from the recruiters when he was still available was predictable…call his name out! What a stroke of luck.”

rich118.jpg

Might be a joke, but the likeness is so great, that it would be believed if people didn't know any different..

He's a gorgeous little tacker whoever he is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back