Retired Daniel Rich #1 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Fremantle are going to seriously regret passing over Rich. As much as i wanted Ziebell and he'll turn out to be a star - rich is just too good to pass up.

From watching the videos, it seems like Rich sneezes and the ball goes 50m. What a kick.

Richie (surely that'll be his nickname) seems to be a hybrid of Black and Power in many ways...

for example, he has Black's 6'1" torso with Luke's 5'10" arms and legs (and little hands)

but before any of you bag me as being mean to our newest recruit, let's look at the upside of that comparison...

he also appears to have a combo of their better traits, namely Luke's courage and ability to compete overhead with much bigger players and Simon's uncanny awareness in close giving him the appearance of having extra time

...he's going to be a little champion whichever way you cut it :p

Hopefully the intraclub doesn't get rained out this year so we can see him in action earlier.
Hopefully, he plays in the intra club and gets matched up against Power or Black, just to see what Ritchie is made of.( im jumping on the Ritchie Rich nickname bandwagon). Some good stuff in that video. Booming left foot, great awareness, spots up players well. Great in traffic, quick handpasses to running players etc

Its hard not to get a little over excited seeing that type of footage:D

Sometimes I think you can tell someone is going to be a great player by their name.

Daniel Rich sounds like a name you would hear from the podium on grand final day or Brownlow night.

i agree 100% with that. its a good solid name from start to finish and one that rolls off the tongue well.

wonder how many games he will get this season.

Hopefully, he plays in the intra club and gets matched up against Power or Black, just to see what Ritchie is made of.( im jumping on the Ritchie Rich nickname bandwagon). Some good stuff in that video. Booming left foot, great awareness, spots up players well. Great in traffic, quick handpasses to running players etc

Its hard not to get a little over excited seeing that type of footage:D

that would be good. i just think its great that this kid, who already shows signs of greatness, will work along side one of the best mids ever and is coached by the best mid ever.

rich has been hammered a lil this year for his lack of losing a tag, black is a guy who can have a heavy tag and still get 25+ possies. thats the kind of stuff you want this kid learning. he could not be in a better environment for someone of his skills, attributes and the kind of way he plays his footy imo. he will be right with the heat coming from WA and loves a surf, so he will be happy here.

on a side note, im not attending the intra club game this year as last time i went we lost bradshaw for the season.

Link

Melbourne's recruiting manager Barry Prendergast said the call (on who would go number 1) was made a month ago after a three-day trip to Perth to interview the families of the other contenders Nicholas Naitanui and Daniel Rich, but he was adamant it was not as clear-cut as the media has portrayed it. "People look at Melbourne and say we need a power forward, but we need a ruckman and a good midfielder as well," Prendergast said.
"They are all outstanding talents. My take on the draft is that they are the best three players in it. I think any one of those three boys could be a worthy No. 1 pick in any given year.
"People talk about the 'go home' factor . . . and logic saying you would take Watts because he's from Melbourne.
"But in interviewing the boys (Rich and Naitanui) and their families I didn't see that as a huge factor."

richev1.jpg

i agree 100% with that. its a good solid name from start to finish and one that rolls off the tongue well.

wonder how many games he will get this season.
If he stays injury free I can see him play almost the full season on the hff with johnstone, davis and hooper.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Daniel Rich was born on the same day as Michael Voss (7 July) :eek:

I think you might be out by a month - Rich was born on 7 June.

No need to worry about him breaking his leg at Subi - Shane 'leg breaker' Parker is retired

I think you might be out by a month - Rich was born on 7 June.

No need to worry about him breaking his leg at Subi - Shane 'leg breaker' Parker is retired

We've had Tippett's height, the spelling of Hanley's name and now Rich's age. Emma Quayle and the AFL website say he was born in July, but various other sources say he was born in June.

Link

Fremantle pick Stephen Hill unfazed by talks of Daniel Rich
Article from: PerthNow
Glen Foreman
December 02, 2008 05:17pm

THE Fremantle Dockers' new prize posession Stephen Hill says he is unfazed by the media's scrutiny over the club passing on Daniel Rich in the draft.
Fremantle's choice of Hill - a development project - over Rich - a ready-made midfielder - has been questioned following Saturday's AFL National Draft.

Rich was drafted at pick seven by the Brisbane Lions.

But when asked if it was emotionally difficult to read the reports, West Perth's Hill said he generally skipped over them.

"I try not to really read it," Hill said. "I just try to ignore that sort of stuff. I just went into the draft and wherever I went I would have been happy."

Hill said the attention also would not affect his game and no matter how Rich performed for Brisbane, the now-Docker would not feel any additional pressure.

rich6zz5.jpg

Link

Hill to play his own game
03/12/2008 1:05 PM
Paul Barbieri
Sportal

Fremantle's top draft selection, Stephen Hill, says he won't be keeping an eye on Daniel Rich's form for Brisbane next season, or putting any extra pressure on himself to keep pace with Rich in 2009.

Hill, taken by the Dockers with pick No. 3 ahead of fellow Western Australian Rich, said he was content to just develop his lightly-framed body at his own pace.

He also said he wouldn't try to quickly put extra weight onto his 68kg frame even if Rich, widely regarded as having a body already equipped for AFL football, was playing game after game for the Brisbane Lions, who claimed him with selection No. 7.

We've had Tippett's height, the spelling of Hanley's name and now Rich's age. Emma Quayle and the AFL website say he was born in July, but various other sources say he was born in June.

Can somebody ask him when he turns up at his first training session?

Grim, don't forget the early mistake of Patfull with one L - which seems to take forever to correct, even with supporters here.

I think this pre-season will really help Rich, hopefully he debuts in Round 1 and plays at least 70% of the season.

Kids with such talent and build just need to be pumped full of as many games as possible, within reason (injuries, soreness requires rest obviously). It would be very beneficial for him in the long-term.

I think this pre-season will really help Rich, hopefully he debuts in Round 1 and plays at least 70% of the season.

Kids with such talent and build just need to be pumped full of as many games as possible, within reason (injuries, soreness requires rest obviously). It would be very beneficial for him in the long-term.
I just hope he is managed by the club properly. Even if that means only playing a handful of games next year then so be it. The risk of burnout is quite high and I don't want him to be bashed around like what happened to Josh Fraser.

I just hope he is managed by the club properly. Even if that means only playing a handful of games next year then so be it. The risk of burnout is quite high and I don't want him to be bashed around like what happened to Josh Fraser.

Rich has a very mature body for his age and has been playing senior footy for two years, so he can certainly handle a bit of the rough stuff.

OP will be the big worry, but we have some of the best people in the business at these sort of things now.

Rich is a key asset, I don't think we need to be too concerned with the club's ability to manage him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back