Danny Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best improvers in the afl and my of my fav in the afl always standing out along with ablett and acouple others but hope he play his career out at the gold coast could be vice captain one day in my regard.

BRING ON THE RAGING BULL !!!!!!
He is a real leader up forward and you need a couple of hard bodies players to crash through packs and help out the young ones.
Been watching the NAB Cup when I can and you are lacking that atm........
If GC do not want Stanners we will have him back... Never given a chance at Pies and has matured into a great player now.

BRING ON THE RAGING BULL !!!!!!
He is a real leader up forward and you need a couple of hard bodies players to crash through packs and help out the young ones.
Been watching the NAB Cup when I can and you are lacking that atm........
If GC do not want Stanners we will have him back... Never given a chance at Pies and has matured into a great player now.

Still a crucial cog for us. Will be great when he comes back in after suspension.

Nearly missed this one.

Danny's doubt.

RUGGED Gold Coast midfielder Danny Stanley admits he doubted his own ability after coming back from a frustrating back injury against the Western Bulldogs last week.

The Suns' leading goalkicker in their debut season, Stanley was one of just three players to play all 22 games, and one of its most consistent contributors.

But the start of 2012 was little short of a nightmare.

First he suffered a club imposed two-match suspension for a traffic offence in Brisbane in December, followed by the ongoing back problem that halted his pre-season.

Stanley had a bulging disc that got progressively worse until he finally recovered and resumed playing in the reserves four weeks ago.

In his return match, Stanley received a cork that restricted him to half a match, then starred the following two weeks to earn a recall to the seniors.

And he did not let coach Guy McKenna down in Darwin last Saturday night, finishing with 28 disposals and seven marks in a typically strong performance.

He admitted the whole comeback process had been a frustrating one.

"With the injury being a niggly one, it wasn't anything serious so there was no timeframe, which was probably the most frustrating part," Stanley said.

"I just had to do everything I could to manage it and once I got on top of that then it was a matter of breaking back into the side which was also pretty frustrating, but I worked hard and strung a couple of good games together in the twos and was lucky enough to get picked."

Stanley said during his time on the sidelines all he wanted to do was prove to the coaches, his teammates and himself that he could still play.

"Missing the first seven rounds you start to doubt yourself a bit, but that was the best thing I got out of the weekend, a bit of belief," he said.

"I was pretty happy with how I ran out the game and how my fitness was going.

"To run out the game in those [humid] conditions I was happy and it reconfirms to me that I've done the work and I need to keep doing that each week."

Stanley said one notable difference in his comeback match was the development of his young teammates.

He said not only were they physically better equipped than last year, but verbally they had a stronger presence on the field.

Ahead of Saturday afternoon's match against Port Adelaide at Metricon Stadium, Stanley said he could not wait to play his first game at home.

"Hopefully we can come away with a result similar to last time when we played them (a win)," he said.

"They had a really good performance last week and will be feeling confident in themselves. We've just got to put that effort in for four quarters."

A bulging disc stopped me from playing footy, still gives me grief 4 years later sometimes. Good to see the bloke make it back.

A bulging disc stopped me from playing footy, still gives me grief 4 years later sometimes. Good to see the bloke make it back.

I hear that. Bulging discs can be a nightmare. Even worse, I don't think there's any method to really quicken the recovery. For bone bruising or hurt knees or joints, going in the ice baths every 20 minutes can quicken the healing process.

But for a bulging disc, there's not much you can do other than let it go down in its own time. Or such is my understanding.

Hope it stays away for a good long while.

2012 stats.

stats.jpg

Is he a good SC dreamteam selection do people think? seems to score well, is he best 23 when fit or on the fringe?

Stanley keen to carve out midfield career.
VERSATILE Sun Danny Stanley has revealed his desire to settle into one position this year after playing the role of Mr Fix It in the AFL club's first two seasons.

The 25-year-old spent most of his time down back last season to cover for the club's injured defenders.

The year before Stanley was used primarily as a floating forward and provided a valuable avenue to goals.

But Stanley hopes his days of switching between roles during games will come to an end in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenna praises Stanley's "No Bull" approach.
Guy McKenna knows the value of second-chance midfielder Danny Stanley.

For three consecutive seasons, “Bull” as he is commonly referred to by the playing group, has been the perfect example of how the right attitude to training and match preparation will guarantee consistent senior opportunities.

Danny Stanley - Rd 1 2014 v Richmond

316944_gl.jpg

Bull, Jaegs, Gazza and Daysie all celebrate in the rooms with the team song after a relieving round 1 victory against the Tigers. (Photo: Jason O'Brien/AFL Media)

Danny had a solid weekend against Richmond. Drifting back, forward and everywhere in between he was able to do it all. He racked up 19 touches which included 5 inside 50's, a couple of defensive clearances and 2 crucial goals in the scheme of the game.

Did not have the run with role we were accustomed to him having late last year, but his defensive pressure around the stoppages was fantastic, and his physical presence in that area went a long way into helping the SUNS win the stoppages stat.

Apart from his 2 great goals, a highlight would love to forget is when Richmond big man Ben Griffith used the Bull as a step ladder midway through the first quarter. Amusing stuff for all involved except Dan!

Another game where his importance to our structure has gone under the radar by the uneducated eye, however it obviously has not gone un noticed by the powers that be at the Gold Coast SUNS with rumour suggesting that Danny has been offered a lucrative deal that will take him forward til the end of 2016, when the SUNS will be defending their first flag.

This happy little camper is stoked with that news, and if I know Bull at all, it wont be too long until we see pen put to paper! He loves the SUNS and the SUNS love him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back