Retired David Armitage

Remove this Banner Ad

I want armitage at the Lions...he is being wasted by Lyon. How can the Lions make it happen?

Sherman for Armitage has been talked about. Any other options? No 1st/2nd rd draft picks
Won't happen. As an uncontracted player, if Armitage wants to go to Queensland, he'll take a big fat contract from the Gold Coast Gays and we'll get next to nothing in return.

And as for no 1st/2nd round draft picks, that's ridiculous. We're not going to throw away a young player without those at least being on the table, especially in a year where the 3rd round begins at pick 43.

Yea only way we will trade him to Brisbane is if he signs a new contract and even then we would want at least a 2nd round pick. He will only be 1 of 2 clubs next year and its between Gold Coast and StKilda.

Maybe a Armitage for Brown trade could be arranged!!!!

I want armitage at the Lions...he is being wasted by Lyon. How can the Lions make it happen?

Sherman for Armitage has been talked about. Any other options? No 1st/2nd rd draft picks

Can't see how he's been wasted. He's had plenty of opportunities but struggles to put two good games together. He does have a tendency to pull a blinder when he first comes in after being dropped though.

More recently he's had some injury concerns keeping him out of the side.

Not sure what you would expect Lyon to do under the circumsances.

The Suns are likely to rise much more quickly than the Lions. I can't see him going to Brisbane.

It looks very likely that he'll be at the Gold Coast next year. He has had chances & occasionally played well for us, but unfortunately it just hasn't worked out for him (so far) at the Saints :(

Re: Round 21 v Richmond @ Etihad

There have been rumours that Armo didn't work hard enough at training and this is why he was relegated to the seconds so frequently in his time with the Saints. I sincerely doubt that. His level of enthusiasm on the ground is first rate. He goes in and under for the hard ball gets, his tackling is furious and his level of implied pressure is enormous. If I were to fault him it is to say he has the Luke Ball fault of not always offering himself for uncontested ball. He doesn't seem to know how to ski downhill. He seems to be very creative in traffic, he has a knack for that dexterous stop and turn and can lay a step. He lacks straight line speed though and maybe that's why he doesn't often get free and get the uncontested ball. Maybe he just isn't sought out by his team mates. That does happen - even to likable kids. I'm not saying he is or isn't likable - but I have found him to be one of the most easygoing players to talk to, but there are often cliques within teams and players make a split second decision to kick it to a target they know will do the job. Maybe its just a matter of earning trust. Again like Luke Ball, Armo's disposal is not truly up to AFL standard. He does have a good record in front of goal but he does miss his man too often without much reason, generally though if his kick is good, it is very good. I think he is an exciting prospect. When he is on - he is amazing - an absolutely great team player, but he does trail off pretty quickly into only being good for small sections of time then disappearing into mediocrity for most of the match. This is possibly the real reason for his inability to hold a spot, the inconsistency of his intensity.

Dont think he did enough, especially with Hayes and Jones returning. Definatley going now. WE should get something good for himt though.

Very disappointed with his game, had a real opportunity to show us all what he's got and stamp his name into our best 22. Would GC really want him with his performances so far?

He was pretty ordinary on his first game back from injury the week before (Zebs).
I reckon he was called up simply to get an AFL game into him going into finals in case he's needed. If we were selecting on form, it would have been Smith.
13 Possies and a goal would probably be considered a good result from any of Heyne, Steven, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade week starts in two days so surely he would tell the club before then, unless he wants to be a bastard and screw them over, or unless the club already knows whats happening.

did anyone see him at the family day?

would he have been required to go?

i'd be surprised if he stayed, but pleased!

Some guy on SaintSational reckons Armo signed a one year deal after being offered 2.

But, just read this on twitter;

Growing speculation that Armitage is heading to Windy Hill

This is fun. :)

Some guy on SaintSational reckons Armo signed a one year deal after being offered 2.

But, just read this on twitter;

This is fun. :)

Armitage for Houli then????

Make or break year this year. Him and R Clarke I reckon. Injuries seem to get them both and unfortunately for us both offer bucket loads (fortunately is the word If fit)

Make or break year this year. Him and R Clarke I reckon. Injuries seem to get them both and unfortunately for us both offer bucket loads (fortunately is the word If fit)

Not sure that they should be compared for injuries Raph ( who has been on the list two years longer than Armitage ) has had a lot more problems than Armitage.

David Armitage on the verge of losing fringe player tag

David Armitage was picked by St Kilda with selection 9 at the 2006 National Draft. Armitage was recruited from Queensland club Morningside at 18 years of age, weighing 83 kilograms and being 183 centimetres tall. In 2006 Armitage played in defence and the midfield for Morningside and won the Rising Star Award in the AFL Queensland League. The profile for Armitage in the AFL Record Guide to Season 2007 said “Caught the eye at the 2006 AFL Draft Camp, where he recorded the quickest time for the agility test.”1

After starting the 2007 season with St Kilda’s VFL affiliate Club, the Casey Scorpians and after being named an emergency in Round 6 and 7 David Armitage made his AFL debut in the Round 8 28 point loss against Hawthorn at the MCG. On debut Armitage had five kicks, four handballs, took three marks and laid four tackles.

Armitage retained his position in the St Kilda side for the next two games but had less than 10 disposals in each of these games and was dropped for Round 11. Armitage spent the rest of the season playing for Casey and was frequently in the Scorpians’ best players. In 2007 Armitage played 3 AFL matches averaging 48 minutes, 3.7 kicks, 3.0 handballs, 2.3 marks and 2.3 tackles per game with a disposal efficiency of 90.0%.

Armitage played all four 2008 pre-season games for St Kilda including the Wizard Cup Grand Final win against the Adelaide Crows at AAMI Stadium, David kicked four goals during the Pre-season competition, ranked equal fourth at St Kilda.

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

#20 David 'Armo' Armitage

art-svLYONFUELS-420x0.jpg

2011 was the year many expected this man to have in 2008 or 2009. After busting his guts and being a clear standout in the VFL for the past 600 or so years, David was finally rewarded with a consistent run of games in the middle. And if not for an unnecessary and unlucky suspension later in the season - would have played all 23 matches.

Coming into the season Armo had played only 22 games in his previous 4 seasons. Had a baptism of fire in 2007 when we had very few played to pick from against Hawthorn - dubbed the worst game of the decade. Was dumped and did not return until early in 2008 when he had 20 touches, 3 tackles and kicked 2 goals against Essendon. This would be the game I claimed him as my man. He actually played out most of the season, before being injured and coming back for the finals. But fell away and that first game he played, which remained his best for more than a year and a half after.

Unable to break into the team in 2009 due to our ridiculous winning streak, he got his chance against Hawthorn again (Round 19). Netting himself 22 touches, 10 tackles, a goal and a best on field performace. Surely this would be enough to see him play out the season. NOPE ROB EDDY!

Anyway 2010 was pretty up and down, dropped here and there. Injured here and there. Had 21 touches and 8 tackles in Round 22 once again. Surely he'll get a final or two. NOPE ROB EDDY!

Anyways finally onto 2011.

David started the year in the middle, becoming exceedingly important when Lenny went down in Round 2 - netting 25 touches, 8 tackles and a goal in the drawn match. After Round 7 he had 4 matches with more than 21 possessions and was averaging ~5 tackles a match.

This for some reason, convinced our saviour, Ross Lyon, that Armo was a small forward whos main aim was to stop his small back pocket opponent from doing anything. And kick the odd goal. Given, this is when young Jack Steven stepped it up and became probably the equal, if not better than what Armitage was doing. And I love Jack equally as much so I wasn't too disappointed.

The odd game where he was permitted time in the middle he strutted his stuff. Knocking up 2 further games with more than 20 touches and 8 tackles in both.

Armo ended the season like much of the rest of the team - poorly. With just the 7 touches in the elimination final loss to Sydney.

David is hopefully sure to receive a little more game time in the middle next year - with a new coach, a new game plan. Lenny coming back and Jack Jack ripping it up. I'm hopeful that these three can form a magnificent combination that will see our clearance stats improve a little bit!

Still at just 23 years old, here's hoping he can improve on his 2011 and take another step up in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back