Dayle Garlett - Overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Any update on the hat situation?
images
i wonder which one it was :confused:
images

Any update on the hat situation?

Saw the topic and had to laugh. As a Port supporter I was dying for info about Liam Jurrah's first training session at Alberton and the "journalist" at the Adelaide Crapvertiser went all out and said that Jurrah was the only player wearing a hat at training. Now thats investigative journalism at its finest folks. :)

From AFL.com.au

Essendon's other remaining spot will be filled in the pre-season draft, where it is a good chance to recruit talented West Australian Dayle Garlett. If he can overcome some off-field issues, Garlett's pace, skill and game sense could make him a valuable pick.

OMG! IT'S BACK ON!

It's all guess work at this stage guys. When you see a solid quote from a person connected within the club, then you can rejoice/panic/whatever.

What's Braden Quartermaine's history like? No idea if he's worth listening to.

I'm torn. He's clearly the most talented availiable player (sans Tippett), but AFL and other sports are littered with examples of talented players who fail due to laziness and other factors. Just look at Bernard Tomic v Lleyton Hewitt, or in AFL Damien Cupido v Dempster and Ivan Maric.

I'd take the chance, because even if he's another Fev - it's better than drafting another Skipworth.

**** sake just draft him. What are we running here, an Angel Academy??!!! Pick him up, if he plays up you cut him.
He's 18 and made some mistakes, wow!. Give the kid a chance. Sanctimonious rubbish by AFL clubs.

I'm concerned that you believe anything coming out of the club. This smells of the typical bullshit Hird/Recruiting staff always bring up before a draft in order to scare other teams into not drafting the player we are after

I'm concerned that you believe anything coming out of the club. This smells of the typical bullshit Hird/Recruiting staff always bring up before a draft in order to scare other teams into not drafting the player we are after

This is getting over played massivily on this board. Essendon have been pretty open and reliable with who they are gonna pick in the first round of the most recent drafts and what the media have said has been accurate in regards to this. Melksham, Ashby, Kavanagh, Hurley, Ryder were all pretty much known before we got to the draft day.

in what way was Ashby telegraphed? I've read this a couple of times now, and I'm not a big observer of the juniors by any stretch, but I had never heard of him nor read anything about us picking him up. Is there any links or sources to the club being open about picking up Ashby? Even second hand on here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I barely followed it at all this year, but going from just this board it was going to be Ashby or Atkins going in.

It was definitely Atkins/Asby linked to the club.

On the Garlett situation - Read young and troubled players.

I am astounded that clubs spend $20m on their footy department, but don't have the capacity/resources to invest in talented, but troubled players. It's an indictment on the footy industry, and suggests to me that the ' arms race' in footy spending, is merely a way of spending money ' fist over hand ' for little result. Surely such spending, should allow more talented but flaky players into the AFL.

Emm
in what way was Ashby telegraphed? I've read this a couple of times now, and I'm not a big observer of the juniors by any stretch, but I had never heard of him nor read anything about us picking him up. Is there any links or sources to the club being open about picking up Ashby? Even second hand on here?

Emma Quayle and Cal Twomey both linked Ashby to us with our first live pick.

It was definitely Atkins/Asby linked to the club.

On the Garlett situation - Read young and troubled players.

I am astounded that clubs spend $20m on their footy department, but don't have the capacity/resources to invest in talented, but troubled players. It's an indictment on the footy industry, and suggests to me that the ' arms race' in footy spending, is merely a way of spending money ' fist over hand ' for little result. Surely such spending, should allow more talented but flaky players into the AFL.

i've heard this said a few times and I don't get it. What the hell can the football department spending do here? the basic problem is there's a talented player who loves to get on the piss, and possibly worse, and it's very questionable whether he can cope with the 24/7 nature of the modern afl and do enough to stay on a list. what the * can the football department do? they can of course provide 'help', whatever that is. but that isn't a 100% sure fire cure.....

i've heard this said a few times and I don't get it. What the hell can the football department spending do here? the basic problem is there's a talented player who loves to get on the piss, and possibly worse, and it's very questionable whether he can cope with the 24/7 nature of the modern afl and do enough to stay on a list. what the **** can the football department do? they can of course provide 'help', whatever that is. but that isn't a 100% sure fire cure.....

Surely his facebook status to 'in a relationship' is all part of Essendon's plan to have him married off. Quickest way to stop someone going out drinking with the boys...

Surely his facebook status to 'in a relationship' is all part of Essendon's plan to have him married off. Quickest way to stop someone going out drinking with the boys...
I am married, dont think I have consumed more than 6 beers since! lol

i've heard this said a few times and I don't get it. What the hell can the football department spending do here? the basic problem is there's a talented player who loves to get on the piss, and possibly worse, and it's very questionable whether he can cope with the 24/7 nature of the modern afl and do enough to stay on a list. what the **** can the football department do? they can of course provide 'help', whatever that is. but that isn't a 100% sure fire cure.....

You would expect more when you are spending 20m on your footy department - Surely some of this money can be used to help talented young players - I don't believe this is an unrealistic expectation. To be frank - Clubs are wasting money on their footy departments -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back