Dennis Commetti 'isms'

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if it has been said.

But a couple of years ago, Essendon were playing a friday night game and Adam McPhee was running around the boundary line with his body outside the line and his arm outstreched ball in one hand just inside the line, Cometti came in with some...

"McPhee... room service"

We love you dennis

From Carl/Richmond Friday night:

Blues player kicks the ball into a team mate:

"He's done a D ick Cheney"

Seth.

mdunn27 said:
Ah, From Friday night, Denis came out with this classic (may not be exact quote...)

Regarding Brisbanes disposal

"Like a good Cologne salesman, theyre spraying them everwhere!"

That was a ripper.

He said "Ahh, Brisbane's kicking has been lamentable. Like a good cologne salesman on commission, they're spraying it everywhere"

Vintage Dennis.

Can't remember who it was on Friday night, but a player got grabbed by his shorts which fell down.

Brereton, in his 'Kelvin Cunnington' voice yells out: "Dacked!!"
Cometti, urbane, comments: "Tackled, briefly..."

Works on so many levels.

sherb said:
Tonight - "Sylvia smother".

:D :D

(For all those of you who are too young to know what he meant, Sylvia's Mother was a big hit for Dr Hook in 1972).

IIRC, Rex has been calling him that ever since he started playing AFL...

Last week in the Freo game, when seven Freo players ( i might be exaggerating a tad ) were calling for the free and they just let the opposition player go while they had their hands up Dennis said something like this:

"How many Dockers does it take to appeal for a free?"

When he said it, it reminded me of those "how many popes does it take to screw a lightbulb" jokes.. Good laugh then!

At his absolute best today Port V Bullies

1.Street runs past a team mate & takes a handball
'He's moving at the speed of darkness"

2.Port 10goals down,Dwayne suggests Port need a surgeon after surjan takes possession
Dennis replies "They need Dr Kevorkian"

3.Dermott suggests fans expect more than 15 mins effort from their team.
Dennis "Unless you're coached by Andy Warhol"

Almost made the game watchable

seth

Today in the Port/Doggies game:

"Port have picked up alot of posession this quarter, whereas in the first half they were in dispute with in dispute"

Cracked up at that one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks v Dees
Tight angle, balll almost dribbles through along the ground, the crowd start celebrating, but the ball just goes behind. Commetti calmly says, "Premature Jubilation" sounding very much like premature ejaculation

Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs in Darwin

Dennis: "Lade kicks to space on the wing, no playerto be seen"
Lion: "and hits Dew on the chest..."
Dennis: "Dew poped up out of a sprinkler and kicks into forward fifty"

Comparing Kevin Sheedy to Red Fox the coach of the Washington Generals - the perenial losders to the Harlem Globetrotters. The great man can be so cruel

Correction and apologies - the reference was to Red Klotz not fox(who was a great sports writer) Klotz coached the Generals to 13,000 defeats against the Globetrotters - Sheeds is well on the way to givint that record a shake

some good 'uns during today's Geel v. Port game from ol' Den :

(... on meeting Cam Mooney before the game)
"there was a mutual respect there ... certainly from me"

(... as David Johnson steps around 2 Port players)
"Johnson, it was like he was in Dressage"

(after an umpire failed to award an obvious free-kick)
"Umpire Donnelly ... N.F.I. - No Free Incurred"

(... observing Port chip the ball around aimlessly, after the lights were turned on at Kardina Park)
" ... moving the ball under cover of darkness"

Haven't read all these posts, but his all time best was...

'Liberatore went into the pack optimistically, and came back out misty, optically!'

CLASSIC!!!

He's comment about a player operating brilliantly in confimed spaces like Ralph Fienes (sp??) had me spilling my beer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back