Dennis questions

Remove this Banner Ad

vicki

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2002
perth
Other Teams
westcoasteagles
Dennis Cometti questioned "why it is that the majority of WA football supporters have a soft spot for AFL powerhouses like Adelaide,Brisbane,Essendon etc and not for the struggling Vic teams like the Bulldogs and Saints"??

Personally, I have a problem with the Dogs over quite a few incidents over the years:
1. The brawl at Subi when I saw Suma choked
2. The pack attack on a young Gardiner( Chris Grant lost all credibility when he said on TV that is was not a premediated move-yeah right!)
3. Liberatore's tactics on numerous occasions
4. Nathan( The Spitter) Brown
5. Brown again, amongst others,calling Fraser a rapist

St Kilda - don't really care one way or another. I supported them in the GF against Adelaide mainly due to the Winmar factor. However I am sick of underachieving bottomfeeders like them being rewarded with so many early draft picks!

Of all the other teams, I suppose I would prefer Adelaide. They remind me of the 90's Eagles teams - a strong, classy team who rely on their ability to achieve success - not thuggery like their neighbours. A powerful team both on and off the field who (like the Eagles) also have to put up with another inferior team in their hometown! ;) Brisbane also are a class act.

Did he really include Essendon? I thought he was referring to the interstate teams. I think he doesn't realise that people still resent the fact that there are so many Victorian teams...

I have a soft spot for none of the other teams.

The way I see it, they are all the enemy. Kill them all.

A soft spot for Essendon? You must be deadset kidding Dennis.

I strongly dislike the Dogs because of their past tactics. It's a rare day indeed when I agree with Hardie, but he was dead right when he said that people don't last too long at AFL clubs if they start doing things on the field that aren't at least implicitly sanctioned by the staff. So I wasn't buying Plough's "what, we're dirty?" act for a second.

Don't really care for the Saints.

I quite like Brisbane because they are a hard but fair side (ditto Adelaide), and they smash Essendon on a regular basis. Lethal has made a fine art of getting up Sheedy's nose, so that's also a plus.

I hate the Dogs for all the reasons posted by vicki. Absolutely hate the mugs, although, my hatred for them has lessened somewhat after Wallace has left, I hated that prick the most.

I just like Brisbane because they are a champion team, and are a good thing to watch. We have also beat them twice in our last three encounters :D

Soft spots

Geelong - Felt a bit sorry for them after we knocked them off in 92 & 94, and also because I'm living there ATM.

Freo - As a team I don't mind them, they are from WA after all (derby time is the exception). Supporters are a bit of a worry though.

Brisbane - Done well for a team in a non-footy state. Play an attractive brand of footy.

Hate

Essendon - The Sheedy factor.

Adelaide - Was living there when they joined the competition, so the South Australian inferiority complex assured there was always going to be an unbelievable level of bull**** media hype surrounding them. Painful - will never have a soft spot for them now.

Port Adelaide - As per Adelaide to a lesser degree + Choco the whiner.

Sydney - Mickey mouse team on a mickey mouse ground. As boring as they get.

Collingwood - The Eddie factor.

Melbourne - Our first finals game, Viney eye-gouging Lewie, and my first experience of traditional moronic supporters.

Footscray/Bulldogs - Dirty play as previously mentioned

The rest I can take or leave.

Judgements made on endearing qualities of play, way the football club goes about their football, supporters (any club is known by them).
Please note all rankings are completely subjective and do not count when Eagles are playing them (not in any order):

can tolerate...
Geelong
Adelaide
Brisbane
Sydney

Medium dislike...
Freo
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Richmond
saints
Carlton
Kangaroos

the Hate bag...
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Bulldogs
Collingwood

Originally posted by Mr Eagle
The modern Doggies I struggle to dislike - they have lost a fair part of their Dirty Dogs tag in the last couple of years.

Likewise. I hated the dirty team that Wallace constructed, but other than that, I have a lot of time for a number of players and supporters of the dogs. How many times have they looked 'gone'? Yet players like Johnson, Smith, West & Grant, who could have easily left for much higher $$$ and more of the perks many AFL players are used to (like us), will play out their entire careers there. And they love that club. To be honest I admire the real club culture they've got at the Bullies, for them to be merged, relocated or whatever other buzzword the AFL may call it would have a huge negative effect on the entire league. [note to RJ: not pity in the slightest.]

Anyway, it's Eagles vs 15 other teams for me, but I guess there is an order of hatred...

Adelaide - don't mind seeing them do ok, just not against us. Went for them in the 97 and 98 GFs. Good tough, but fair team.
Brissie- our twins, but to be honest I find them smug & arrogant now. Ended up going for Essendon in the 01 GF. Usually don't mind seeing them win. Play outside the rules at times, whinge a fair bit, get their share of favours.
Carlton - hate.
Collingwood - Ditto. though I do respect what Mick did for us.
Essendon - don't mind them compared to the other 'Big 3'.
Freo - usually want them to win unless it adversely affects us. Know more about them than the rest, but find the Eagles v Freo focus of many supporters quite sickening.
Geelong - dont really care
Hawthorn - can tolerate, but don't really care
Kangas - hate. no idea why really, just always have.
Melbourne - hate
Port - don't like. tough/rough... its a fine line.
Richmond - hate.
Sydney - meh, don't like them really. Went for them in 96 and all... really depends on who they play.
St. Kilda - on the bandwagon... well no, but i'd still like to see all that talent in full flight for more than a few games a season.
Bullies - as above.

A lot of WA people I know still support the team they did in the VFL, which might be any of the traditional teams.

If they now support Eagles or Dockers, that will wane over time.

I don't know many people with a soft spot for the other interstate teams.

Personally, Eagles versus 15 others.

Personally, when they aren't playing the Eagles, I can tolerate Geelong, Brisbane and North.

I can respect Adelaide and Port.

I have a lot of respect for Essendon, but by god I love beating those bastards! :D

That said, its all pretty much one big hate, just with lesser degrees of hate in some places ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can all prety much say Collingwood ( The three di**s: Ed, Bucks and Mick - he was a champ with us but Eddie and the rest of the Magpie maggots have got to him).

The Dockers I can tolerate in recent times...

I dont really go for other teams, unless it effects us but if i had to say:

Like:
Brisbane
Richmond
Hawks
Sydney
Adelaide

Dislike:
Carlton
Bombers
PORT --->lost all respect for them after the game a few weeks ago

The rest couldnt give a ****...

Freo - usually want them to win unless it adversely affects us. Know more about them than the rest, but find the Eagles v Freo focus of many supporters quite sickening.

Sickening eh? Quite a strong word. Perhaps an analogue that may shed light on the degree of focus/obsession/militancy for you is the 70s era feminists. Or perhaps you are one of those chicks who doesn't mind being patronised or condescended to.

Like..WCE
Detest...Bombers, Port (since the last game)
Extra Detest....Frockers, Eddiewood (only because of Eddie)

Loathe...the other Melbun sides

Slight loathing...Geelong, Sydney, Crows, Bears (stuff Fitzroy)

Alright

Don't mind:-
Freo - even go to the occasional Dockers game
Brisbane
St Kilda
Sydney

Don't care about:-
North
Crows
Hawthorn
Geelong (except this week)
Melbourne (nothing to care about)

Dislike:-
Richmond
Bulldogs
Port
Carlton

Detest
Collingwood
Essendon (oddly enough my pre-Eagles VFL team as much as I had one)

ok..

Soft Spot
Kangaroos
Adelaide
Bulldogs. (Post Wallace and Liberatore)

Neutral
Brisbane.
Geelong.
Sydney.
Hawthorn.

Hate but Respect
Port Adelaide
Essendon

Just Hate
Collingwood.

Too pathetic too hate.
Carlton.
St Kilda
Melbourne
Richmond

Fremantle are a bit tricky to guage, because my attitude varies from week to week. Previously, they were too pathetic to hate, but now they're well on their way to being bumped up a category.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back