FTA-TV Derek

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting season finale.One of the old birds [Lizzie] dies and they all attend her funeral.
Meanwhile Dereks long lost father has contacted Hannah and asked to meet Derek,but Derek wants nothing to do with him.After the funeral Derek & Hannah are sitting outside the church when Dereks dad comes up and starts taking to him.Derek doesn't realise at first who he is but once he does walks away.As they leave the church in the car they pass his dad walking away and the car suddenly stops - Derek gets out and runs back down the street and hugs his dad and then they get in the car and go back to the home.

You almost felt sorry for Kev when he explained how he was a failure.

Good season finale :thumbsu:

Interesting season finale.One of the old birds [Lizzie] dies and they all attend her funeral.
Meanwhile Dereks long lost father has contacted Hannah and asked to meet Derek,but Derek wants nothing to do with him.After the funeral Derek & Hannah are sitting outside the church when Dereks dad comes up and starts taking to him.Derek doesn't realise at first who he is but once he does walks away.As they leave the church in the car they pass his dad walking away and the car suddenly stops - Derek gets out and runs back down the street and hugs his dad and then they get in the car and go back to the home.

Good season finale :thumbsu:

Spoiler alert

But yeah, very few laughs in the final episode .... but Kev's final monologue was genuinely touching.

As soon as I heard the organ playing coldplay ... i knew it was going to try and make the audience cry.

Not Gervais' best effort but some funny moments. Love Karl who makes this show. The Derek character is just too cliched for my liking.....far too forced.

Liked "Life's too short"...but didn't love it. Simply a short version of the David Brent character.

So Merchant stated he didn't like Karl at one of his shows. Yeah that rings true.....Merchant the comedian is going to slag off Karl to an audience of punters he's never met. Yeah...right. Nobody thinks it simply isn't part of his schtick?

Why? You know that in the first episode of next season he will be there with a can of Fosters in his hand farting on Derek's head or something. You felt sorry for him because you fell for it. He forced on you what you should feel towards this s**t character with a monologue that didn't fit in with anything (where did this come from? One minute he is playing with a slug, the next he is crying?), accompanied by over seven minutes of Fix You by Coldplay! You fell for this s**t television hook, line and sinker.

The first 5 episodes were about how Derek is the kindest person in the world. This is the story. Forget an actual story line, just #kindnessismagic (ignoring the fact that Derek actually did some pretty unkind s**t throughout the series). But that wasn't enough. He dedicates the final 20 minutes of the show to shoving it down our throats. Right, he is such a good person that if Dougie was to come back as someone, he would come back as Derek, **** jaw and all. Give me a ******* break.

Had to chuck in his atheist agenda. We get it dickhead, nothing happens after you die, shut up.

No actual story arc. Forcing emotion down our throats with Coldplay. Telling us how we should feel about characters with s**t monologues. Sad piano, panning vision of old people. Merchant is cringing at this s**t.

"Derek took the best shortcut you can... The only shortcut that's good... And the only shortcut that works... And that's kindness"
"Nah bruv... You're brilliant."

Try and cringe harder.

Gervais is now just a famous campaigner who loves his own face. Utter s**t without Merchant, played nothing of note since Brent. But I thank him for Karl.

Why? You know that in the first episode of next season he will be there with a can of Fosters in his hand farting on Derek's head or something. You felt sorry for him because you fell for it. He forced on you what you should feel towards this s**t character with a monologue that didn't fit in with anything (where did this come from? One minute he is playing with a slug, the next he is crying?), accompanied by over seven minutes of Fix You by Coldplay! You fell for this s**t television hook, line and sinker.

The first 5 episodes were about how Derek is the kindest person in the world. This is the story. Forget an actual story line, just #kindnessismagic (ignoring the fact that Derek actually did some pretty unkind s**t throughout the series). But that wasn't enough. He dedicates the final 20 minutes of the show to shoving it down our throats. Right, he is such a good person that if Dougie was to come back as someone, he would come back as Derek, **** jaw and all. Give me a ******* break.

Had to chuck in his atheist agenda. We get it dickhead, nothing happens after you die, shut up.

No actual story arc. Forcing emotion down our throats with Coldplay. Telling us how we should feel about characters with s**t monologues. Sad piano, panning vision of old people. Merchant is cringing at this s**t.

"Derek took the best shortcut you can... The only shortcut that's good... And the only shortcut that works... And that's kindness"
"Nah bruv... You're brilliant."

Try and cringe harder.

Gervais is now just a famous silly who loves his own face. Utter s**t without Merchant, played nothing of note since Brent. But I thank him for Karl.

Personally I think The Office was probably the greatest series of all time, The Extras not far behind, An idiot abroad more about Karl, Life's too short simply a dwarf playing the David Brent character, and Derek has it's moments but is a long way behind his other previous stuff. Unfortunately there seems to be downwards trend developing here.

And don't start me on his movies which are absolute rubbish. Never really been the same since he joined Hollywood. I do hold out hope however that he still has it in him to develop another TV series comedy classic....but do us a favour Ricky and forget about Hollywood.

It is pretty funny how people continue to watch shows that they slag off. Personally I couldn't give a s**t that you don't like it but I am surprised you still downloaded and watched each episode.

Good point :thumbsu:

I don't get why people keep comparing Derek to the other shows Gervais has done.The others are clearly comedies,this however has funny and serious moments.

It is pretty funny how people continue to watch shows that they slag off. Personally I couldn't give a s**t that you don't like it but I am surprised you still downloaded and watched each episode.

I wouldn't normally but I have a strong interest in Gervais, and particularly Karl, stemming from ridiculous hours watching and listening their old work. I'm willing to sit through the s**t in the hope of at least finding some decent moments (which there were, and they all involved Karl). I won't hesitate in posting my disdain for this s**t program.

I don't get why people keep comparing Derek to the other shows Gervais has done.The others are clearly comedies,this however has funny and serious moments.

I'm not comparing them as comedies, I am comparing their quality as television shows. I don't know what you mean anyway, Ignoring Extras, The Office has amazing 'serious moments', executed infinitely better than Derek. There were actual storylines that made you feel actual feelings towards characters, it wasn't shoved down your throat with pop music and cheesy dialogue. When Brent broke down and begged not to be made redundant, when he told Finchy to '* off', when Tim turns off his microphone to talk to Dawn, and finally when he wins her over... Perfectly executed 'serious moments'.

I think to refer to the
I wouldn't normally but I have a strong interest in Gervais, and particularly Karl, stemming from ridiculous hours watching and listening their old work. I'm willing to sit through the s**t in the hope of at least finding some decent moments (which there were, and they all involved Karl). I won't hesitate in posting my disdain for this s**t program.

I still dont understand why you watch the show then? If i felt as strongly as you do, I would turn it off after 5 minutes.

Having said that, the show did have a lot of flaws. The episode with the rapper was pretty cringe.

But I think the show has a lot of potential. If Gervais could just tone down the sentimentality and control his own ego, it would be a lot better. Any scene with Karl was awesome and it was essentially just Karl being Karl. The Beach Episode (or the Beach scenes in the episode) was up there with Gervais' best stuff I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This show was great
I thought it was really poignant - something I don't normally look for in a show... and not what I expected from Ricky G

Everyone paid out on him for playing someone with (what might be) autism but it actually made the show work and he was pretty much constantly deflecting attention away to the other characters - particularly the elderly patients.. it really was quite impressive I thought. I enjoyed it much more than extras and hope that he does another season

This show was great
I thought it was really poignant - something I don't normally look for in a show... and not what I expected from Ricky G

Everyone paid out on him for playing someone with (what might be) autism but it actually made the show work and he was pretty much constantly deflecting attention away to the other characters - particularly the elderly patients.. it really was quite impressive I thought. I enjoyed it much more than extras and hope that he does another season

He's currently writing season 2

This show was great

Yeah, I liked it too, although the rap episode wasn't that good. Think it helps that my grandfather was in a place like that not too long ago, brings it a lot closer to home. Karl makes it for sure with a special mention for the girl that plays Hannah.

You're as stupid as the show then.

When will people just stop watching a show they don't like? (in the hope of seeing 1% of content they like).

I could be really stupid and quote a 6 month old post for literally nothing. I already said I watched the show for Karl, got my laughs out of him, but the show was s**t.

I see you have posted * all of an opinion about the show. What's worse? Having an opinion or not having one and whinging about someone elses?

Worst show I've seen since Life's Too Short. Going to have to re-watch The Office just to remind myself that Ricky Gervais used to be funny/make good television.

Kev shitting himself and trying to borrow a nudey magazine to jerk off, great comedy... Is he the worst character ever?
Awesome show, looking forward to season 2

Have you actually watched season one ?
Yes, every episode
I found it to be a giant hunk of garbage for the most part
The characters were awfully written
Each week was essentially the same story. Someone over the top and unrealistically awful comes into the home and causes trouble, then they either;
a) Magically realise that old people are lovely (the story with Vicki was soo poorly written it was unbearable)
b) Get sworn at by Dougie (Karl was great btw)

Regardless of what Gervais says, Derek behaves in every single way that a man with a mental disorder does, and for some reason this makes him kind?
(Insert Coldplay montage, filled with shots of old people having fun)
If this was meant to be a parody of a rubbish soap opera that has fake characters and generates over the top fake emotion, then sure it was great

Apart from that, it wasnt too bad

Worst show I've seen since Life's Too Short. Going to have to re-watch The Office just to remind myself that Ricky Gervais used to be funny/make good television.

With Gervais recent work, I'm starting to believe Stephen Merchant was the real direction behind The Office being a success. Ricky played David Brent incredibly well, but his recent stuff hasn't been great. Derek was okay, but incredibly manipulative. The scene with Fix You playing was one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen.

Just my opinion, but that looks utterly dreadful

The show is just a rolling cliche. One after the other.

Yeah..might wait and see if someone does a Double/Karl montage after the season is finished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back